4.0 out of 5 stars A sort of old-fashioned ghost story

Published 21 months ago by Skuttle Bucket

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A sort of old-fashioned ghost story, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Last Kind Words (DVD)
"Last Kind Words" is sort of an old-fashioned ghost story, set in a poor rural area of Kentucky. It's rather refreshing as it's mostly just normal, regular people, not the usual pretty-boy & pretty-girl cast with big SUV's, and not a single cell phone (with no reception) to be found. A teenage boy moves with his parents to live in a trailer & do work for the father's childhood friend after the father loses his factory job. Young Eli discovers a young girl named Amanda on the property, and she is as mysterious as she is beautiful. Now, the father's childhood friend, Waylon, certainly knows who Amanda is and warns Eli to keep away, but things are not good with Eli & his dad, so naturally Eli is drawn to find something else to do with his time than hang around his folks. And of course, Amanda is not what she seems but neither is Waylon.

There are a few plot holes but nothing too serious, and the locations are appropriately eerie without too much effort. This is not a fast-paced film so it would not be appreciated by the slice & dice crowd, but anyone that enjoys a decent ghost story will appreciate it. Worth seeing. 4 out of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Original, Well-made Ghost Story, May 17, 2013
This review is from: Last Kind Words (DVD)
**I received a screener copy of this movie for review; I am not being compensated for this review.
I have to be honest: I had never heard of LAST KIND WORDS before I found it in my mailbox. But sometimes, that is the best way to watch a film...if you go into it with no prior knowledge, then you won't take any preconceived notions with you. That's exactly what I did with this film; I didn't even read the cover or the press release before I watched it. And I'm glad, too...this is an excellent film, and it was a nice surprise!

This film is striking on several levels. It is visually appealing, the acting is superb, and the story itself is riveting and original. You really can't ask for much more in a movie.

LAST KIND WORDS is shot very well, and I have to tip my hat to the cinematographer. There are many haunting shots in this film, and they add greatly to the suspense and the drama. I would even go so far as to say it is some of the best cinematography I've seen this year.

The film has a simplistic feel to it, which is as it should be for a rural Kentucky setting. But it also has a bleak and vivid sense to it as well; Eli's family life is less than desirable thanks to his father, and this enlivens the drama amidst the tension of the plot.

The story of LAST KIND WORDS is the true winner in the film for me, however. It is a unique ghost story of sorts, and it's final images will linger in your mind for a while after the credits roll. I particularly like how we, as the audience, realize things are not as they seem...but in a different manner than expected. This is very good storytelling.

If I were forced to find a negative with this film, I don't think I could. It looks great, it's made well, and it entertains. This is truly a fun and chilling film. It hits shelves next week, so make a note to give it a look.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait until it's free, June 4, 2013
It's not great, but was engaging enough to keep me curious to know how it ends, especially since I actually paid for the rental. Unfortunately, I was not thrilled with the plot , so the ending didn't thrill me either.There are no real scares and it is hardly a horror/thriller, just a laid back ghost story. A few plot holes, it definitely lacked attention to detail in a particular scene and that just left me dumbfounded ( I would elaborate, but then this would become a spoiler ). A bit dull overall, so if you are looking for psychological stimulation keep looking. Should be a free movie on NF or Prime sometime soon so you might consider watching it then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised., July 1, 2013
I wasn't sure how good this would be but I was pleasantly surprised. Interesting story line, acting was good. I would recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice, well written ghost story..., May 31, 2013
I really did enjoy this movie. It is not a fast paced 28 days later kind of shows that will have you jumping every minute, but it is an all around thoughtful and well put together movie. Well worth the time to watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just hang on, August 26, 2013
I was surprised at how moving this movie was. It's slow to progress but worth the wait at the end. Characters have depth and color. A love story/ ghost story combined. Bitter sweet.

3.0 out of 5 stars UNFORGIVABLE SIN, July 9, 2013
This review is from: Last Kind Words (DVD)
This is an oddball ghost story, one that is neither scary or overly entertaining. The film opens with a scene of a boy shooting his father because of what appears to be a ghost. We then flash forward. Eli (Spencer Daniels) is a teen. When his abusive Pa (Clay Wilcox) loses his job at the factory he moves to the farm of his childhood friend Waylon (Brad Dourif) which is apparently in Kentucky. Here Eli meets Amanda (Alexia Fast) who we become immediately suspect. Eli is also visited by his girlfriend Katie (Sarah Steele) while developing feelings for Amanda.

What we don't know is how the opening scene relates to the current situation. In fact I guessed wrong and was confused for much of the film which unravels itself slowly like a good mystery. It is perhaps my own fault as I was expecting a horror story from the cover and not a mystery/drama.

The acting was good. The plot was acceptable. The construction of the tale and lack of character build-up needed work.

Parental Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity. Skinny dipping scene with PG arm placement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a Love Story, October 19, 2013
This review is from: Last Kind Words (DVD)
Not so great if you want to be scared. It is kinda like Twilight meets Romeo and Juliet. That is all I have to say because saying anymore would be a spoiler.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging story, June 16, 2013
I saw the trailer on youtube and thought I should check it out. The movie develops slow but the story grasps my attention. It has a feel of traditional western ghost story. There was one scary moment, but this is not a horror movie. Amanda is charming and captivating, and I like the story between she and Eli. It's worth a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars GhostBirds., August 27, 2013
This review is from: Last Kind Words (DVD)
Last Kind Words (Kevin Barker, 2012)

When I saw this flick up for grabs on Netflix while I was trolling the "Popular on Netflix" queue a couple of weeks ago (I am not ashamed to admit I do this at least once a month), I added it on the off chance that some indie director had taken a crack at adapting a Tom Piccirilli novel to the screen, something that is way overdue. I did so even though I know that any film adaptation of Piccirilli's work would probably not even come close to the original, though I imagine the noir stuff like The Last Kind Words would be easier to adapt than the crazy Southern gothic stuff of his I like even better (A Choir of Ill Children is not only my favorite Piccirilli novel, it is one of my favorite books of all time). And I figured, hey, if it's not Piccirilli, and it's just another DTV picture, what's the most I've got to lose, an hour and a half of a work-from-home Tuesday when I could be watching another equally crappy DTV movie? I tell you all this to give you an idea of the mindset I was in when I hit play on Last Kind Words. I wasn't expecting much, and I hate to admit that as soon as I saw Brad Dourif, I was expecting even less. I love Brad Dourif, always have, but man, it is hard to get the stink of Fading of the Cries out of your head, you know? And so to say Last Kind Words blindsided me would be something of an understatement. But it does make this review quite a bit easier to write, because it gives me a point of comparison. I have a (very) short shelf of the DTV horror flicks that, for my money, should have gotten theatrical releases, because they're a damn sight better than pretty much any horror film that's been turned out by Hollywood in the past decade. Cube is, of course, the one everyone is familiar with, but most horror geeks have probably seen Shallow Ground, DeadBirds, or Pony Trouble!. The real nerds have dug far enough in to have found perhaps the best treasures in the bunch, Baby Blues and Lockout. Now I'm adding Last Kind Words to that short shelf; it stands easily with any of the above. And for the love of Johnson County, it's good to have the old Brad Dourif back!

Plot: Bud (Pirates of Silicon Valley's Clay Wilcox), his wife Ida (Stake Land's Marianne Hagan), and his son Eli (Star Trek's Spencer Daniels) have moved back to Bud's rural Kentucky hometown in the wake of some sort of personal shake-up (possibly Bud losing his job, but if it is ever explicitly stated, I don't remember), going to work for Bud's old next-door neighbor Waylon (Dourif). Eli, being teenaged and footloose, is less than thrilled with the arrangement until, while wandering in the woods near Waylon's place, he comes upon Amanda (Repeaters' Alexia Fast), tall, willowy, blonde/redhead, and all the sudden the backwoods are waaaaaaaaay more interesting...even though Eli left a raven-haired love (Please Give beauty Sarah Steele) back in the city. And as if throwing a love triangle into the mix isn't enough, Eli's wandering through the woods starts uncovering more rural Kentucky secrets--things that the locals would rather have stay buried. And to top it all off, it seems that (a) Eli may be replaying some years-earlier drama involving Bud and Waylon, and (b) Waylon is in hock up to his ears to the local loanshark, Mr. Peterson (Hit Me's Rich Williams), who's getting mighty impatient.

And you know, I didn't realize it until I started writing that plot synopsis, but we kinda did get a Tom Piccirilli Southern gothic movie here. I wouldn't characterize it as horror in any sense; it is more of that kind-of-indefinable "supernatural drama" genre that Asian film industries do so well (Japan, India, and Hong Kong, especially) with a couple of mysteries mixed in beneath the surface. But the real draw, at least for me, ended up being the romance angle, once the city girlfriend was introduced; Barker, adapting a story by Amy Riherd Miller, miffed the plotline a couple of times (he was, erm, less than subtle in the scene where Eli realizes he's in a situation where he probably has to choose, and then, while the ultimate resolution of the love-triangle subplot is all too realistic, and very powerfully shot--for which I should be giving him props, no?--it still feels as if there should have been one more scene there. Even though there probably shouldn't. Watch the movie and see for yourself), but it really stood out for the realism and tenderness with which Barker handled the material. Which carried over into the rest of the movie, really, though how much realism one can reasonably inject into what is, at its heart, a simple ghost story is questionable. That just makes this movie all the more impressive.

I think I just talked myself into kicking the rating I originally gave this movie up half a star. Which doesn't sound like much, but to put it in perspective, three-and-a-half star movies are not automatically entered onto my thousand-best list (as of this writing--August 9, 2013--my spreadsheet lists 690 titles to which I've given three and a half stars; 284 of them are on the thousand-best list). Four-star movies are. That's the most important half a star in my movie-ranking hierarchy, when it comes right down to it, and the more I think about the little details in this movie, the more I think it deserves it. This is very, very good stuff, and it deserves to be seen by as many people as possible. See it sooner rather than later. ****

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Last Kind Words
Last Kind Words by Kevin Barker (DVD - 2013)
$14.98 $9.59