5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves Ten Stars
Published on August 16, 2010 by Sandra H. Elston

3.0 out of 5 stars Some projects great...others are not
Published on November 26, 2010 by lulu

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves Ten Stars, August 16, 2010
I waited in anticipation to Joelle's follow up of "Last Minute Knitted Gifts' and was not disappointed. If I could rate this ten stars, I would do so. I have to wear a tracheostomy tube in my throat to breathe, and on page 99 there are patterns for the most beautiful (and soft) cowls one in my position ever hope for. Not only one, but three designs. How wonderful! As I slowly turned each page, what a "delight"...This book far exceeds it's name. Cannot wait to rush to LYS tomorrow and scoop up yarn for several projects I already have tagged as a "must have". I am so delighted with this book, if I could, I would give the author one of the biggest hugs she has ever received. This book has a wide range of projects surely to please any knitter. Whether you are a beginner or advanced knitter, this is the book for you. Thank You JH..Sandy

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired, August 19, 2010
Stacey M Smith (Fredericksburg, TEXAS) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I adored Joelle Hoverson's first book and had hoped she'd do another.... The first noticeable thing about the book is the photography - it's beautiful! Well worth the price of the book as a "coffee-table" knitting book. Props to Anna Williams.

She organized the chapters by the typical length of time it would take to complete a project: less than two hour gifts, 2-4 hours, 4-6 and onward. For gifts, this is perfect, nothing worse that thinking a a gift will take 2 hours only to find yourself on the clock for 4 hours and only half way through (sometimes project length is deceptive). Plus a chapter on simple, but clever gift wrapping ideas using yarn. And there are a few pages dedicated to specific stitches & finishing techniques- note there is not a "basics section"- you'll have to pick up knitting basics elsewhere.

Hoverson stretches the gammet of projects - baby & adult socks, cowls, sweaters, vests, accessories, wrist warmers, blanket, scarves... pretty much your basic fair. The book is steeped in classics - nothing I would call trendy. A few projects stand out as "knock your (knitted) socks off"-- pointy elf hat (from the cover), the knitted house, cowl and beret.

I will admit, these are my first impressions. I am simply noting the look of the book and the projects offered. The true test of a knitting book is the quality & detail of the patterns. I will soon update with impressions of working the patterns. Any way you look at it, this is a beautiful addition to your knitting library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some projects great...others are not, November 26, 2010
This book really has some pretty photos. I have completed two projects so far: Baby Bonnet, and Soft Baskets. I am currently knitting the easy baby cardigan. I'd say that I am an intermediate, but definately not an advanced knitter. The Baby Bonnet is darling to look at, but has a funny fit when you put it on the child. Also, I may be a loose knitter, but I knit the hat with the needles and yarn recommended and the hat was huge on my 8 month old, so I had to unravel the whole thing and knit it again on size 6 needles. The soft basket turned out cute (but is a little floppy knit in the recommended Blue Sky Alpaca Cotton yarn) and so far the baby cardigan is going well, although I wished the pattern was for older babies too (not just newborn-9 months). Anyway, I think some of the ideas in the book are corny (reusable hot coffee-cup sleeve) and others are quite pretty (big lacy scarf)! For a intermediate level knitter the instructions are bit confusing, and most of the patterns that I have tried use a lot of measuring in the instructions instead of telling you how many rows to knit which I personally don't prefer. Also, most of the recommended yarn in this book is quite pricey. So, if you like to use the recommended yarns instead of substituting yarns you might find this to be a problem. All in all I like this book, but I don't love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes, please!, September 25, 2010
Really nicely written patterns, great pics, this lady really knows how to make knitting POP! Her colors just make us wanna knit!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Elegant!, August 30, 2010
goodfruit "Rebecca" (Oregon City, Oregon) - See all my reviews
Lovely, simple, elegant knitted projects, beautifully photographed, succinct directions. What's not to like? I want to knit every other project in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, April 16, 2011
So great, the items are things I want to knit. There are so many that only take one skien of yarn and can be easily knitted. I love just reading this book. Can't wait to start knitting my first project.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful pictures and beautiful knits, January 11, 2011
This is a book where I can see myself knitting many of the projects. I like the way the author adds details to the patterns and also a brief story about each pattern. My first project will be the hat on the cover and I cannot wait to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first LMKG, January 2, 2011
Love this book! There are a number of projects that I plan to make from it, starting with the big lace scarf. Like LMKG, the patterns are divided into approximate amount of time they take to complete, which I find helpful. The projects are beautifully photographed, reflecting the clean, simple, and elegant style of Joelle Hoverson. It's the difference between hand made and "home made", if you know what I mean. As I also enjoy shopping for yarn from Purl Soho and following their blog, The Purl Bee, for crafting inspiration, I was sure this book would be a must have for my knitting library and it did not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love every project in this book!, November 16, 2010
I have Joelle Hoverson's other knitting book, "Last Minute Knitted Gifts", so when I learned she was publishing this new one, I knew it was just a matter of time before I got it. I love every single project in the book: they are elegant, stylish, quick gifts. In the couple of weeks since I received the book, I've already knitted the simple baby cardigan, and several of the coffee cozies. The recipients of these gifts loved them, and the patterns were simple, quick, and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful book., November 1, 2010
Great shipping time. Would purchase from again. The book is great, too! There are so many patterns to choose from. The best thing about the book is that it's organized by the time of knitting required for each project, which is super helpful, whether you're new to knitting or well-seasoned.

More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts