4.0 out of 5 stars A good read...
It's been about two years since I read this, but I remember the book as being dark, brooding, meandering and questioning rather than preachy. Rophie should be admired for not pretending to have all the answers on this difficult and complicated topic.
Published on May 29, 2000 by Martian Bachelor

2.0 out of 5 stars Last Night Remorse
Katie Roiphe searched for the pulse of sexuality in America. She interviewed high school and college students and came to the conclusion that everyone's scared of sex and AIDS and they all resent the fact that they missed the sexual revolution.
Published on June 10, 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars Last Night Remorse, June 10, 1997
By A Customer
But Roiphe only interviewed students from elite schools which mimicked her own upbringing, almost to validate her own fears and sexual hang-ups. Her sister is HIV positive, so naturally, she is consumed with thoughts of AIDS. But instead of taking ownership for these feelings, which should be the case in a first-person book, she projects those feelings on the country. She's not comfortable with people having sex with multiple partners at once, so she gloms on to the fact that this may be how Magic Johnson got AIDS.
If Roiphe regrets her own promescuity, that's a valid feeling and an interesting topic for a book. But assuming the country's morals automatically align with hers is arrogant, and probably inaccurate

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read..., May 29, 2000
Martian Bachelor (Feminacentric America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Night in Paradise: Sex and Morals at the Century's End (Paperback)
I read the book in one sitting, the writing was that good. I know it's hard to find a positive review of this book on the I-Net, but I liked it a lot even if I'm left now with an impression rather than specific info gleaned. I'll definitely read her next book because even if I disagree with her on some points I think she's an important writer worth listening to.

4.0 out of 5 stars An observation of a silent true(ism), February 4, 1998
She does have a point, but the problem is not definable. The nations growing social conservative mood has no true definable center, it is a movment of two seemingly diffrent forces, a need for a force beyond lust (yet is also a part of lust) and a love of preaching what is "right". The virus of the SAFE is covered here with Kate's eyes wide open.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ghoulish sibling rivalry, July 20, 2001
By A Customer
There's something deeply creepy about the use the Roiphster is making of her sister's HIV+ status. Never a writer in control of her effects, Roiphe weeps crocodile tears but you see her between the lines, choreographing the step she'll dance on her vanquished rival's grave. "Ha-hah, you're dead and I'm a famous writer and handbag model, ha-hah, now I've got mommy all to myself." Till that day, she can still spin a buck out of the situation. Other than that, I have no idea what the point of this book is meant to be.

Last Night in Paradise: Sex and Morals at the Century's End
Last Night in Paradise: Sex and Morals at the Century's End by Katie Roiphe (Paperback - October 28, 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01