on December 24, 2003
Format: Audio CD
It is not often that a group is able to release two excellent albums in a row, much less in the same year. Yet Superchic[k] did just that in 2002, releasing "Karaoke Superstars" in January and "Last One Picked" in October. The themes and sound for each album are quite different from each other, but the group does a great job with each.
"Last One Picked" takes a look at high school, how it can affect a person's life, and how we can grow out of what they label a high-school mentality. This album will appeal not only to teens who are currently in high-school, but also adults who either can still see school in their rear-view mirrors or still bear the scars from that time in their life.
Although each song has a message to get across, many of the songs are also just super-fun to listen to ("Na Na" "Wonder (If She'll Get It)" and "Rock Stars").
Superchic[k] ends the album with a great song about living with our past and how God loves us ("We All Fall"). This is a very short song (less than 2 minutes) that simply states it's message. When it finishes, however, let the CD continue to play. There is a surprise remix song that will start after a couple of minutes.
on October 10, 2002
Format: Audio CD
I bought this CD the day it came out and I was not dissapointed at all. I'll review each song for you.
1-High School- I love this song!!! It is very great song. It shows us how some people still act like there in high school when they are adults. One of the best songs on the cd.
2-Real- This is a great song. Has a great message about how popularity doesn't matter. I really like the electric guitar in this song.
3-One And Lonely- Another one of my favorites. A great song when you are having a bad day.
4-So Bright (Stand Up)- Superchic[k]'s first single off the cd. A really rockin and catchy song.
5-Hero- My favorite song on the cd. A very true message about what some kids might think when they get made fun of.
6-Na Na- Another great song. This is like the most fun song to sing along to. I also like how they had an audience singing along at the end.
7-Song 4 Tricia- This is the only song that isn't that great. It is about their lead singer. It is not that long either.
8-Wonder (If She'll Get It)- This is so funny because it is making fun of girls that all they care about is guys and crushes. It shows how stupid it is to waste time on those things.
9-I Belong To You- This is a great song for every christian out there. It tells us that God will always be there for us.
10-Rock Stars- Another great song. It has a great message to. It tells us that it doesn't matter if we are rock stars as long we try at what we want.
11-We All Fall- This song is soooooo great. It is great when you feel like you failed at something. It is encouraging if you are a christian. God will always love you even if you fail or fall. If you what a while after this song they play some of High School.
This is a great follow up to Karaoke Superstars. It still has the Superchic[k] message of girl power and lots of great christian messages. This whole cd is so great to listen to. I recommend this Cd to everyone no matter what type of music you like.
on November 6, 2002
Format: Audio CD
Superchic[k] is back with an all new album. Armed with upbeat lyrics and amped up pop Superchic[k]'s latest album, Last One Picked is definitely an album worth purchasing. The band breaks free of traditional pop, infusing their songs with punk and other influences. The result is an energetic sound all their own. The music itself varies from the almost overwhelmingly energetic So Bright to the piano ballad We All Fall. The message, however, is always the same. The band encourages their listeners to get up and take charge over their own life. They defy the very idea of a pop band as they reject popular culture's idea that only certain people are important. They sport lyrics that encourage people to try, even if they fail. Their music is both inspiring and fun. It is next to impossible to keep from dancing as song after song infuses the atmosphere with energy. The only downside to the album is it's length. With only eleven songs, you will inevitably be left wanting more. That, however, does not make it not worth purchasing. To not hear this album is to miss out on an amazing blend of stimulating lyrics and astonishing music.
on May 23, 2003
Format: Audio CD
After purchasing thier first album, I found it to be a great CD to drive to, or just chill with your friends and listen to it. Superchick really digs into the heart of problems that teens face during this time. I loved this CD and though the "song for Tricia" in my opinion needed to be a little longer, the band is showing a very promising future in Christian Rock. This CD is only one of the few that I play when I am depressed, or happy. And there are very few CD's that can do both. The stimulating lyrics and some great guitar playing make this CD a must have! You will not be dissapointed.
on June 14, 2003
Format: Audio CD
This CD was basically good. It was very inspiring, and it made you feel good. It was one of those CDs that is ideal to listen to when you're depressed or looking for good times. I especially liked the songs "Real", "Hero", "Stand Up", "We All Fall", and "Rock Stars". They all have a mellow, poprock sound. The reason I gave it a four was because all of the songs basically sounded alike, except slightly different. Still very good, and if I were you, I'd buy it.
on March 31, 2004
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I must echo the comments from the reviewer from Singapore, who wrote "Superchick seems to have made their 'you can make it as a teenager' message even less subtle than on 'Karaoke Superstars' if that is possible."
But if you're over, say, 15, don't let that scare you off. Sure, some songs may speak to situations far removed from your life. (The first track is "High School," and "Wonder" opens with the teenaged-girl-screeches over the prospects of a dreamy guy.)
The CD gets high marks for energy, word play, a great message, and high-energy fun mixed with a couple of somber-and-powerful songs. The lyrics sometimes play off the first CD. "One and Loney," for example, features the line "everyone's afraid to Karaoke in the open," a reference to that disks title cut. It also mentions that "sometimes it's hard to be a one-girl revolution," a reference to another tune on KS.
This group--the members of which were not born until the 1980s--borrowed from pop culture before their time in KS with the song "TV Land," which lampooned the show and subsequent film "Charlie' Angles." They do the same here, with "Na na," in which the narrator complains "I feel like the teacher from Charlie Brown / All you hear i that wah wah wah sound." Unfortunately, this line was immediately followed up with "maybe I'm a pokemon pikachu," which made this baby boomer ask "Is this a song for the under-10 set?" Still, the song turns out to be somewhat clever; after lambasting a friend, the narrator says "Oops, I did it again [another borrowing?] I see, the one I'm talking about is me."
KS featured one mellow song -- "Let it be." This one has two "I belong to you," and "we all fall," which are almost stripped of every instrumentation except perhaps a keyboard. These add some depth and variety to the group. "We all fall" ends [Spoiler alert] with about 5 minutes of silence followed by a rather weak remix of the first track.
Though I'm far from a teenager anymore, I still like some of the tunes a lot, including "One and Lonely" (somewhat clever, snappy, rapid-fire lyrics), "So Bright," (ditto, with a great perspective--"at our life's end/will you have regrets then?"), and "Rock stars" (for its message and mix of tempo).
on December 5, 2002
Format: Audio CD
You'll have more fun listening to this album than most you've heard in the past year, I can almost guarantee. Superchic[k] has nailed the life of a teen, as well as the lives of those of us who have left the teen years behind (and for some of us those years are barely still in the rearview mirror).
Their strength is in the music; these are talented musicians. Then you add the lyrics that capture every feeling of insecurity, elation, doubt and reassurance that goes through most peoples' minds every day. I couldn't help but feel that some of the lines were written about my own life. (Don't ask me which; that would be a bit too embarrassing.)
Their message is perpetually positive: don't conform to the standards of those around you, but rather conform to who you know you are. Unspoken is the subtext that the person you should try to be is the one God wants you to be. They do get explicit about God's love always being there ("We All Fall") and it is plain that their guide is Jesus, and not just some power-of-positive-thinking philosophy.
For those who are thinking of buying the album but aren't sure what the 'rents will think, go ahead and get it (as long as it won't completely alienate you from them, or be taken as rebellion against them). They probably will think at first that the album is too edgy, and that it must not be totally ok for you to own. But you can listen guilt free, and maybe educate old Mom and Dad on some great music with lyrics that encourage you to live a life which would please God.
Format: Audio CD
First of all, this isn't my CD. It belongs to my daughter who picked it up with her birthday money for her 14th birthday. I couldn't be more thrilled; she's listening to something with a positive message.

Now, my daughter, the target audience, loves this CD. She rates it 6 stars on Amazon's 1-5 rating system. She has listened to it almost non-stop since she bought it. She has all the songs memorized and loves to dance and sing along. *Shrug* She a teenager.

As a mother, I think this title is great. The message of the songs challenges young people to be themselves and to stand up for what is right. It suggests they throw off the pressures to please everyone and to look like a model, and rejoice in who God made them to be.

The lyrics present valuable lesson to be drilled into the minds of our children (for that is what music does, drills messages-for good or evil-into our minds) at a time when they are exceptionally vulnerable to the lies this CD tries to counter (namely, that they must try to fit in at all costs and that compromises must be made between your values and fitting in.)

The music is not my genre. It's not terrible or annoying, but it isn't my favorite either. I'm more of a Third Day fan, myself. But my daughter loves it (and it beats the Christian rap my son is starting to fall in love with. Someone save me...) I would also say that the music is a bit sophomoric; while being much better than the Christian music offered to teens when I was young, it still doesn't reach the level of many popular secular bands.

But, this title is a positive step in the right direction for Christian music and comes highly recommended by this mom for your teens if they like this music style. You can't get better than having your Christian teen singing, "Some days it's hard to be a One Girl Revolution."

Ah, but praise God my daughter is willing to try, and that Superchic[k] is there with positive music to support her on her quest.
on November 1, 2002
Format: Audio CD
Superchick established itself as a great band with "Karaoke Superstars" melding female vocals with gritty distortion guitar. If you loved that combination, then "Last One Picked" is right up your alley. This time around, Superchick seems to have made their "you can make it as a teenager" message even less subtle than on "Karaoke Superstars" if that is possible. The lyrics in these songs are very direct and they've thrown in a couple narratives of fans who've written in with their problems/stories. There seem to be no "fictional fable" tracks like "Barlow Girls" on Superstars. Instead, Superchick is trying to be more intimate with the listener and notes how "you" or "I" are taking part in the song.
The overall effect of this approach by the band to their audience on this disc is that it slightly detracts from what could be well-crafted and packaged songs.
Every track still has a hook or sing-a-long chorus to invite the listener, but by the end of the disc, you realize that Superchick has not really introduced any new elements to their style. They are sticking with the plan of frayed, rhythmic guitars surrounding the vocals of their two front-women.
Two moments where the band shows promise for future exploration and direction are on the tracks "Real" and "Song 4 Tricia". On the former (probably the best song on the album), some neat guitar effects are used and the vocals in the bridge are actually sweet and soaring, rather than talky and girlish as is their norm. That bridge gives great progression into the full-rock sound in the chorus, giving the song nice direction.
On "Song 4 Tricia", the listener is pleasantly treated to hearing the first male vocal recordings from the band.
on January 26, 2005
Format: Audio CD
I actually liked this album better then there first..and the first album rocked!

Last one picked is very very uplifting. And is still targeted around girls...cuz in todays society everyone has to be "perfect". according to Tv and magazines..and superchick begs to differ.

This band has songs for people that might be going through depression, or people not being excepted because there different...and then a song about all the drama in high school and how its pointless.

I definatly recommend this cd to anyone.