Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on September 2, 2012
The Xbox 360 version of this game was marred by problems, giving it a bad reputation. When they they changed, balanced, and enhanced it for PC (though thankfully left in 360 gamepad controls), it became something truly worthwhile.

It almost feels like an MMO in the way that you go off to collect items, hunt monsters of varying rarity, and explore a pretty huge world (honestly, it's probably the biggest a big-budget Japanese RPG has had in the generation). The battles are massive in scope, as well, and it's almost impossible to tell what is going on if you're not playing it and have gone through the tutorial - something else that may have led to an early bad reputation. As far as the story is concerned, it is actually above average, despite some obvious Japanese cliches here and there.

Even though for some reason Square-Enix has forgotten about this game and WILL NOT lower their MSRP, it's worth getting when on sale. Fact is that if you obsess over some of the extras the game has to offer, like collecting squad mates to improve, hunting items for weapon and armor crafting, and killing tons of rare creatures, it is easily a 100-hour+ adventure (I think my own time was 160-ish).
on February 26, 2013
I bought this game on sale for $3.99 and didnt really expect much. The game is surprisingly well done, and the combat is gorgeous. The games launch was plagued with bugs, and there was some discrepancy between the console and PC versions. The PC version is quite good, and I have purchased a controller just to score the critical strikes when they appear!

I am incredibly pleased with this purchase!
on March 2, 2013
I loved this game. Great story, great music, great characters, great tactical options.. will keep you entertained for 40+ hours.
The battle system will get a bit to get used to, because you don't control exactly what each character does in battle. At first I found that a little frustrating as I'm a veteran RPG gamer that likes to control each character, but once you get a bit into the game, and understand that battles are not 'your party vs. enemy' but 'your army vs. enemy' then it all falls into place. It's at that moment when your 4 groups of 4 characters are all over the place battling 5+ groups of monsters that it clicks. If you had to control each character you'd be giving 20 orders just for a 'round' of combat. Instead, you control each group, giving tactical orders like 'offensive' or 'defensive' or 'protecting' or 'buff', etc.

A controller is recommended, but not needed (I played it without a controller, you just have to set a setting for that).

Totally recommended, but I do warn you, don't judge it by the first few hours of gameplay, it gets much better if you give it a chance!
on February 6, 2014
This isn't going to be an in-depth review. I thought the game was interesting. It played well. The story wasn't spectacular, but it was different. I feel like it took some of it's concepts from other jrpgs that I played in the 90s. Normally in games, I find the music gets boring and I turn it off. I really enjoyed the music. The voices were awful, sorry, but they just were. The main character played a stereotype that drive me NUTS.

I really liked the gameplay. At first I thought it was going to be boring and that the computer would be doing all the work. Nope, there is a huge amount of depth in the combat system. I found it to be extremely engaging and loved it. However, there were many times where I found myself wanting to quit the game because the system is pretty cheap. If you get caught in the wrong situation you are done. The BR system is also pretty ridiculous and was a bad choice. Basically, the more battles you get in the more difficult the game becomes (based on your BR) and the harder it is for your characters to level. The higher the enemy rating (compared to your rating) the more stat increases you have and the easier it is to level. So if you just run through the game and level up and not care about the enemies you fight, you are going to have a hard time endgame. HOWEVER, if you keep your BR low so that leveling in the end will be easy, the game is frustratingly difficult at the beginning.

If it weren't for the BR system and the voices this game would be just about perfect. There is a lot to do and there are a lot of sidequests. The world is interesting and vibrant, though it is a little small.

Overall: 7/10 - above average, but not stellar.
on June 5, 2014
I had a used copy of the disc but I couldn't install it without a new product key#. THankfully when I bought this I was given the option of just viewing the newly purchased product key# rather than download the entire game. So I use this new product key# with a used disc and it works perfectly :)
on July 23, 2013
When I first bought this game, I didn't really know what to expect of it. I've read some reviews on this game and most of them had troubles with the controls. That was mostly the main reason of its low score, but then when I bought it, I found out that you could actually fix them by going into the settings tab. Unfortunately when you first start the game, it defaults the controls as Xbox and not for keyboard and mouse. Anyways, this game was better than I thought it would be like. It's battle system is quite easy to figure out, it's story was well done, and so were the characters. What blew me away, were the amazing graphics. What I didn't like was that you couldn't use the mouse for more stuff such as camera viewing in the field. Overall, this game is fantastic and I would recommend this.
on February 4, 2014
IF you are used to Japanese role-playing games on consoles, then this is for you. (or if want to play japanese rpg for the PC) "The Last Remnant is such an entertaining experience. It features a rich, original fantasy world, obviously crafted with great care and artistry, and it tells a strong, politically charged tale that will keep you glued to the screen. Although somewhat flawed, the battle system is fun to play around with, particularly in the second half when enormous armies go head to head in some dramatic, bloody showdowns. When the game was released on the Xbox 360 in 2008, these elements were partially buried under an avalanche of shameful technical problems. But with nary a hint of slowdown and less noticeable texture pop-in, The Last Remnant's excellent gameplay shines on the PC, making it a journey that almost any RPG fan should take."
on June 29, 2012
First off anyone that say this game sucks because of controller issues or mouse issues, does not know what they are talking about. I bought this game when it came out and am absolutely satisfied. It was way ahead of its time. If you have a computer with less than an HD5870 or better than your experience wont be as good as mine. If your processor is less than a 6core over 3.5ghz than your not doing the game justice.

The bad:

Initial game settings are limited to the original Xbox360 hardware. SO you will have slowdown in battles with many enemies or less. Also the texture pop in is a problem. However there are fixes for both of these issues as well as the frame tearing issue. You can look around the net for Last remnant optimizations to change some internal settings in the .ini file, which will eliminate all of these issues. However the frame tearing issue can be corrected if you go into your catalyst control panel for AMD cards and increase the LCD refresh rate upto 150 which I did. It eliminated the frame rate issues. REMEMBER TO LOWER SHADOWS AS WELL BELOW THE HALF LEVEL doesnt affect detail levels.

The GOOD:

-Great story
-Great Characters
-Great Development process
-Great Music
-Great control mechanisms
-Great Gaming Experience, with Sidequests and goodies can last over 80hours or more
-Great Graphics (Even today's games it stacks up well)
-Great options
-Great GAME...

Need I say more, if you give the game a chance and make sure to do the .ini changes to the internal file system you will correct your the issues, which SQUARENIX should have corrected with a patch, but never did because the initial purchases of the game was lower than expected, because even when it was released for computers, the computers had a hard time dealing with the amount of detail and intricacy in the game.

I hope that anyone that reads this review takes it as a non-biased customer of a great gaming experience. I Believe it deserves a SEQUAL...

Raf
77 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2014
good game Square-Enix At competitive rates

I still enjoy this, and so on.

very so happy confirm

Thanks for a great game
on January 25, 2014
if you like to play ARPG and like colorful animation,this game may catch ur eyes .but if u don't like japan and always repeated action,just stay away