Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Last Stand [Blu-ray]
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 21, 2013
Ok, so maybe Arnie isn't as young and limber as he was in movies like The Terminator films or Predator or The Running Man or Commando, but that doesn't mean he's not still capable of starring in a great action movie. The Last Stand is his first lead starring role since his return from politics (with stints in Expendables 1 or 2 warming him back up for the big screen), and although it isn't the absolute best action movie out there, it still entertains!

My dad and I both are long time Schwarzeneger fans...I grew up watching Schwarzeneger movies with him, and we saw many later films of his together too. We both were jumping at the chance to see him on the big screen again where he belongs in the likes of Expendables 1 and 2, and once The Last Stand came around, we were sold on it as well. My dad and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Sure Arnie moves a little slower now that he's older, but he sure put on a good show in this film. I won't go into too much detail about the movie, as you can certainly read about it for yourself, and I do believe a couple of other reviewers have already elaborated on the plot some, but I will say that my dad and I both enjoyed it.

The action is good...with a couple of exceptions, there isn't a great deal of action right off the bat, but it gradually builds action-wise, until one big showdown at the end and a face off between evil (the villain) and justice (Arnie). There was some good humor thrown in here and there too, and of course I had to chuckle at the fact that Johnny Knoxville was in this movie...before then I'd never actually pictured he and Arnie in a movie together, but it was honestly pretty great. May not be an utterly amazing film, but it's entertaining and has some good action, and that's alright by me. If you're an action fan, then definitely check this movie out!
on March 13, 2013
I am surprised that this movie didn't do better at the box office, but I think it was up against stiff competition at the time. I think it was a really good movie and I sure wouldn't mind seeing it again and owning it. Arnold's still got it! A lot of good action with unlikely heroes....some incredible car chase scenes... good plot, and some good laughs, too. I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, but was pleasantly surprised! Way to go, Arnold!!! Looking forward to your next project!
77 comments|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 19, 2013
I remember weeks ago seeing back-to-back trailers for this film and Sylvester Stallone's "Bullet to the Head." Sly's film looked ridiculous and stupid, not to mention he is after thugs that took his daughter. How original. But then Arnold's movie trailer comes on and it seems pretty clear we are going to get good guys and bad guys in an unlikely shoot-out, but damn if it doesn't look like fun. And damn if it isn't.

Schwarzenegger plays Sheriff Ray Owens, a small town cop on the Arizona-Mexico border. Coming his way from Las Vegas is an escaped cartel boss (Eduardo Noriega) in a souped-up Corvette ZR-1. In a ridiculous and convoluted scenario, this occurs during a transfer supervised by FBI agent John Bannister played by Forest Whitaker in a performance about as lame as his character's management of the transfer. Maybe Whitaker just couldn't understand director Jee-woon Kim's instructions.

The fun really starts when Cortez (Noriega) approaches the border town. You see Cortez is also a professional race car driver. Think about it. In an earlier set up, Cortez has sent a cadre of henchmen ahead to prepare a portable bridge over a ravine into Mexico. Since everyone is out of town at a football game, the sheriff will have to defend their border with an out-of-shape deputy (Luis Guzman), another pair of deputies new to the job (Zach Gilford and Jaimie Alexander), the town drunk/ Iraq War veteran (Rodrigo Santoro) and town gadfly (Johnny Knoxville).

Arnold is at his self-deprecating best as the tired veteran of the L. A. police force just looking for a little quiet time. The film is exactly what it promises, nothing more. It's fun.
1212 comments|138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2013
When I first saw the ads for "The Last Stand" I was naturally fearful that it would be every bit as bad as that first trailer made it appear. However I'm glad I didn't let that first trailer keep me from seeing the film. "The Last Stand" is a silly action filled romp with all the campy dialogue that made so many Arnold movies in the 80's so much more than simple action films. Above all else the film is fun to watch. Arnold gives us a more introspective character than I have ever seen him play before, but his performance as this aged and burnt out Sheriff is just as easy to root for as the more swashbuckling characters he played so often in his youth. He is joined by a strong supporting cast including two villains both of whom are just crying out for pain which Arnold is more than happy to supply.

If you're an Arnold fan this one is a keeper and for everyone else give this movie a rent some night when you feel like an action movie.
on March 18, 2013
It is a movie of PURE ACTION< LAFFS< AND A FUN ROLLERCOASTERV RIDE. Bulk of movie was shot near where I live. Neighbors signed up as extras but landed on the cuttting room floor. Anyway, the jail break, the Corvettte, the preparation in town for the forthcoming crap coming their way. Arnold, the supporting cast Peter Stormare(Fargo), Johnny Knoxville, etc Everyone was a good ,credible actor. Movie was just plain fun....divides up your attention to action, to drama, to humor...The mix of these elements are pure genius. Go too far with one aspect could have ruined this gem. But it is 5 STARS the whole way.
on May 10, 2013
Ok, I didn't put a lot of expectation into choosing this movie, but after watching it, I was pleasantly surprised.
It was actually very good. Arnie's performance wasn't overdone, in the way of being too macho. He played his role as an aging ex L.A. cop looking for the quiet life as the sheriff of a small south-western border town, and has an unexpected run in with a Mexican drug cartel.
Good action, good humor and good entertainment.
on May 22, 2013
The Last Stand did not have the action, tone or pace that I thought it would. The trailers made it out to be a sort of throwback to action films of the 80s. What we get is a series of not-very-well-choreographed action sequences, much too much plot, shallowly written supporting characters with subplots that seem to go nowhere, and way too much time spent with the bad guys. I guess the film was entertaining enough for what it was, but it never once hit the bullseye for me. Arnold was in decent form, however. I just wish he had a cooler script to return with.
on January 19, 2013
Just saw the movie...
First thoughts are it was very, very good to see Arnold back in action!
Arnold looked older, which was expected, but he looked good.

Arnold definately looked slow at times with his movements & acting. I could tell he is rusty!
However, he did play a good Sheriff & had a few memorable lines. He also showed some of his Strength & Fighting ability from the past in the films major fight scene.

Arnold, had a good supporting cast(including the humor of J. Knoxville, and the solid performance of Forrest Whittaker), so that took a lot of pressure off Arnold to take on the whole persona & load like he has in some of his past movies.
Meaning, all eyes were not just on Arnold!!!

The storyline was good! Acting was good enough to make the movie work!

It was just Awesome to see Arnold back & he will only get better with more movies to come.

I give this movie an overall grade of a B...

Thanks for reading my review & thanks to Arnold for returning to acting!!!
I have missed ya big guy!!!
Im ready to see you in another Terminator!!!
on April 10, 2013
Arnold plays a small town sheriff after leaving an exciting life in the special forces, the LAPD, and as a cyborg. We get to meet the various characters in the town when suddenly a farmer is killed and his land is being prepared... Meanwhile...

In LA, a high level cartel prisoner is being transported, a man who also drives race cars. Before Arnold can say, "I know what's coming" we know what's coming too minus a few details.

Not since "Rocky V" has there been generated so much excitement about a comeback. Arnold plays Arnold, reminding me more of the "Ben Richards" Arnold. Perhaps it is because of his use of the word "negative." The characters and the over the top action make the film worth watching. Unfortunately the characters fell a little short on development and the action didn't go well with the script. The town confrontation scene was haphazardly done. Forest Whitaker plays an FBI man who should have been better developed and could have added some fun to the script. On the plus side, the script was "tight." It didn't give you any wasted scenes which didn't tie in later to the film. I like that aspect of writing.

The day is saved by a gun enthusiast who have fallen out of grace for the moment. A worth while edition to an Arnold collection.

Parental Guide: F-bombs (some with an accent). No sex or nudity.
on January 11, 2016
I welcome films where you can just turn off your brain and enjoy 90 minutes of good old fashioned action. I still don't understand film reviews that have to treat every single film like it's competing for the Oscars best picture of the year.

The Last Stand gives me everything I expect from this film. I get to see a lot stuff I own in real life getting abused and pushed to the limits of what they can do. My 500 S&W looks so good here. I got to see My 2013 Corvette (I own the zo6 and not the ZR1 but still sexy) pushed to the limits of what it can do and yes it's capable of doing almost 220 mph. The new Camaro vs. Corvette scene in the corn field is very good. The cast seems to give it all they have and you can never go wrong with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the drivers seat of any action film or a Camaro. The gun fights are pretty good as well. The cast is all funny when they need to be.

I hope to see more films like this come out of Hollywood in the near future.