Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

98%

on September 7, 2012
Last of the Summer Wine is, of course, one of the best things about TV. If you've never seen it, give it a try, this '95 release is a particularly good place to start. It features Foggy in tip top form, I've always liked the older Foggy more than the younger Foggy from the '70's, but he's superb no matter what the age. OK, enough for the review, here's what you want, Information.

This release will include a "dizzyingly comical Christmas Special". This is the first time this January 1995 "Special" "Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti" has been released commercially in the U.S. OK, here's the rundown:

The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavrotti - This January 1995 "Christmas Special" episode features one of several guest appearances by Norman Wisdom, as bumbler Billy Ingleton. Billy finds a piano, and as it has always been his dream to play professionally, the trio organise a piano recital. But when he's in the spotlight, Billy faints from stage fright. Luckily, Compo has an idea up his sleeve.

The Glory Hole - Foggy sets out to relive his days in World War II, after seeing a holein the road, which made him think of trenches!

Adopted by a Stray - The trio meet a man who is throwing out his van, as he intends to live as a hermit. He happily gives them his van- but they didn't expect his wife to come with it!

The Defeat of the Stoneworm - Howard arranges a secret method of communication with Clegg- tapping through the walls. When Pearl almost catches him in the act, he invents a household pest called stoneworm, and, out of sympathy, the trio attempt to convince people that they exist.

Once in a Moonlit Junkyard - Compo has a visit from a mysterious motorcyclist, who he thinks may be a former acquaintance.

The Space Ace - The trio meet an amateur astronaut. They take him to the local pub, where he gets blind drunk. Whilst he sleeps it off, Foggy decides to organise a new training programme for him.

The Most Powerful Eyeballs in West Yorkshire - Foggy is convinced he has a knack for hypnotherapy, but he goes under himself.

The Dewhirsts of Ogleby Hall - Foggy becomes convinced he is a member of an old aristocratic family.

The Sweet Smell of Excess - Compo uses his bed as a trampoline, but winds up caught in the bed spring. The trio manage to cut him free straight over a sewer, and then have to get rid of the resulting whiff, which prevents them from going anywhere public.

That's it Summer Winers, enjoy.
on November 25, 2012
Where else but in a small English village could an odd assortment of retired gentlemen create such a special feeling in each of us. Their daily lives of attempting to fight boredom, and a sense of order in life, only have it end up in laughter for all. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for this experience. Good actors and excellent writers.

Sandra Knox
Age 70
on September 13, 2014
this review is for all last of the summer wine dvds. when i first watched this show on pbs, i really didn't know what to expect. for me, it was a slow start and i couldn't "get" three senior gentlemen acting like children. but as the show progressed, i found myself laughing out loud in the room by myself at the absolutely ridiculous and unexpected situations they got themselves into. each show is well written, wonderfully acted, and photographed. the scenery is beautiful and so restful. even the theme song is relaxing. that's when i decided i had to have these shows in my library. if you enjoy british humor, these dvds are a must to have in your library. you will come to love each of the characters in this madcap series. my goal is to own all of them. i just wish they came in a complete set like so many others british shows. campo passing did leave a huge hole that couldn't be filled.

3/12/15 update .... i have reached my goal and own all available dvds. i purchased them from amazon uk. i'm anxiously awaiting the release of the last few series.
on March 13, 2013
I love, love, love the Last of the Summer Wine programs.

Being a little hard of hearing, especially when it comes to some of the Yorkshire accents, I especially appreciate the subtitles options. I have never been able to decipher the "closed captions" feature of my TV or VCR player. With the subtitles option on the discs, I can click "on" and then I'm able to understand every word.

I have every Last of the Summer Wine DVD that has been released. I am so excited each time I read about another one on the way. They are sometimes released first on BBC America's site, but I wait to get the free shipping and much better price here at Amazon.

My only complaint is that all thirty seasons' episodes are not released as one huge collection. I know the Dark Shadows drama was released as a complete series of more than 1,000 episodes. I believe LOTSW has just over 300 episodes.
on July 25, 2015
The trio of Compo, Foggy and Clegg do it again....and again. Fans of the series know any of the LOTSW DVDs rate 6 stars.
The characters never fail to make this viewer smile, laugh or just feel good.
on June 5, 2013
The longest running comedy show on the planet. Leave it to the Brits to come up with well written scripts that are extremely funny without being insipid or inane. It's much like the Little Rascals at the other end of life, after they've all retired. I can't imagine why the entire series is not already available on DVD.
WELL INSTEAD OF SAYING THE SAME THING OVER ON EACH ONE I WILL JUST SAY THEY ARE EXCELLENT! LOVE THEM VERY VERY MUCH! WISH THEY WERE STILL ALIVE! THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BRIT COMS NOW! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
on November 14, 2012
When it comes to this series the review has to contain superlatives. The wonderful actors, terrific script and marvelous musical background. Viewing this series takes me away from all of the craziness of daily living and makes me mellow. I love it, love it. I wish they would release the discs faster although it has improved.
on December 11, 2012
The best of the best. This disc set is just a continuation of the example of excellence that this British comedy series has carried on for it many years. Every episode is just great!!
on March 14, 2013
In my travels in the UK, my friend took me to the tea room where they have a cuppa..... I love the "old crew" and is why I got the Vintage DVDs....I still watch it when it comes on....you will laugh at the stunts they pull.