5.0 out of 5 stars Compo's Funeral -- Some of the best writing

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of the best of Summer Wine
Published 12 months ago by C. Vernon

5.0 out of 5 stars Compo's Funeral -- Some of the best writing, May 24, 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
According to IMDB, the year 2000 should contain the 3 episodes that lead to and make up Compo's funeral (Bill Owen died in 1999). As a serious "Last of the Summer Wine" fan those three episodes (IMO) were not only the funniest, but also the saddest! I cry all the way through every time. I really do hope 'Elegy for Fallen Wellies', 'Surprise at Throstlenest' and 'Just a Small Funeral' are included in this set. I've been waiting SO LONG to add those to my collection!! There is NOTHING better than "Last of the Summer Wine".

5.0 out of 5 stars Episode titles, October 22, 2013
S. Baird (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
BBC should have furnished these titles when the DVD was released, but since they didn't, here they are for the North American version:

DISK 1

Wagoners Roll
I Didn't Know Barry Could Play

5.0 out of 5 stars Best British SitCom, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
Last of the summer wine is the world's longest running sit com. Soothing real comedy. We watch it over and over. Wish we could get the entire shows series in one purchase. Many of the actors have left us. Hated to see it discontinued.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
We have been watching Last of the Summer Wine for a long time. It just keeps getting better and better.
This one is one of the best. You get to know the characters and find all the story lines funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
I love this extremely funny British comedy! I started with the pilot, and it was difficult, (not as funny) then Wow! I laugh so hard, tears stream down my face. Clean, funny, I have fallen in love with these elderly men. Just keep watching, it gets funnier and funnier! Awesome! Highly Recommend! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Year for TLOTSW!, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
These people are just great together and I can't wait for the next release. It's a shame the series is over and a crime how they were told it was over...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of the best of Summer Wine, October 30, 2013
C. Vernon "book addict" (Sherman Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
Sorry to throw cold water on some of the glowing reviews here, but I didn't find this DVD very funny. The first few episodes about Compo's passing were done extremely well and were funny in a way and sad, with great writing and acting, and I did shed a few tears for Compo. However, the introduction of Compo's long lost son as a character leaves a lot to be desired. There is absolutely nothing funny, charming, loveable, or redeeming about this con man -- he has none of the qualities that made Compo the old rogue so loveable! This character actually ruined the last few episodes for me, putting me in an angry and bad mood. That's not what I buy expensive British comedies for! Thank goodness for the other great actors who all seem to be getting better as the series progresses along. If this con man becomes a permanent character in the show, I doubt very much that I will be buying more of the DVDs (I have all of the ones released so far). Toward the end of Foggy's appearances in the series, I really disliked his character too, but he was gold compared to this louse.

5.0 out of 5 stars summer wine, August 10, 2013
Robert B Carpenter (Hummelstown, Pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
All of the Last of the Summer wine series, are very enjoyable I view them many times, I will buy more

3.0 out of 5 stars Where are the missing parts?, January 21, 2014
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
This DVD set is a mixed bag. I agree with most reviewers that the three episodes dealing with Compo's death and funeral are three of the best episodes ever written and acted in the entire run of the show. My beef is that so much has been cut out of the episodes in putting them on the DVD. So much was cut out of "Elegy for Fallen Wellies" that the DVD version often seems jerky and unconnected. Originally, this episode began with a charming and hilarious several minutes of the women rehearsing their musical act in their pink costumes. This has been cut completely out of the DVD version -- sadly, because it so perfectly sets up the idea of Compo having a heart attack when he sees Nora in the costume -- and if we haven't seen the costume in the song-and-dance act, the effect suffers. Another instance is that the scene of the passing out of the white painters' overalls by Truly has been cut. The DVD scene shows only one person being handed the overalls, while the original of the episode shows a number of men showing up to receive the overalls, thus making the meaning of the scene at the end more logical. These omissions make me wonder how much has been cut from the other episodes, and even from previous DVDS. The exit of a beloved character and the introduction of his replacement is often awkward; it is more so in this series because there simply is no replacement for Compo, and thus the stories of the new characters just do not seem to fit and are hardly worth watching.

This brings me to something else I've noticed. Two entire series of the program are missing on the DVDs issued in the US, and the dates given on the albums do not coincide with the years the series appeared originally in England. Series 12 (1990, English dates) and Series 16 (1995, English dates), a total of 18 episodes and two specials, have never been issued on DVD in the US. Series 12 welcomes back Foggy to the trio and sees the departure of Seymour ("Return of the Warrior") and its last episode, "A Landlady for Smiler", leads directly into the next series. The US edition picks up with the next season, with Smiler already boarding with Nora Batty, but we have no knowledge of how he got there since that previous season is missing. Series 16 is another Foggy series and contains some very funny episodes. My question is, where are these two seasons and are we ever going to see them issued in US DVDs?

I wonder if anyone else has noticed these omissions? And I hope whoever is issuing the US DVDs will give us a "catch-up" album containing these episodes -- I am surprised that, as much as US viewers love the show, nobody else has noticed these omissions and asked that they be issued.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Series; Hate the Cuts, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000 (DVD)
I am a fan of Last of the Summer Wine and have purchased the DVD sets. The transfers are generally okay, but I am very upset that so many cuts were made on the "Elegy for Fallen Wellies" episode among possibly others. I have seen the full episode and, as at least one other reviewer has noted, some scenes were cut especially from this episode. Most notably, the opening scene where the ladies of the village were practicing their number for the show at the church they were putting on. It really helped explain the events leading up to Compo's death. Also the scene where Truly was passing out the painter's smocks is missing; a scene where he was handing out one to a single person survived. It is disappointing to me that the manufacturers of the set saw fit to make such cuts for the sake of not producing a third DVD for the set (my assumption; I can't imagine it was for artistic reasons). It's not Amazon's fault at all, but true fans of the series should be aware of the cuts. The DVD set would have definitely gotten a 5-start rating from me if it had been complete.

Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2000