on January 5, 2013
At long last a writer who is intelligent and writes for someone with higher than a 6th grade education. She plots, paces, builds 3-D characters and has me page turning as fast as I can. I would put her right up there best selling print authors.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Oh, now who couldn't love Roxy! She is bright, talented, loves animals, independent... All around believable character evoked sympathy. Roxy has some emotional baggage, but who hasn't at some or other? Have thoroughly enjoyed all of the Ghostwriter books.

C.A. Larmer >>> Write faster, please.
on July 26, 2013
The profanity in the series has finally caught up with me, I decided to stop reading at this one and I will not read any more of the ghost writer. It is a pity that the author couldn't find a different way of expressing the dialogue of certain characters. If it was not for that, I would probably have given it a 4. If you are not hassled about profanity, this is probably a good read.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2014
From my Goodreads account:
LAST WRITES, a Ghostwriter Mystery
by C.A. Larmer

I've become quite the fan of this series by Australian author C.A. Larmer. Full of quirky (to me, a reader from the U.S.) Australian idioms, it's become a game with me to see if I can figure out the meaning of the slang terms without having to look them up. This time around there were a couple that stopped me -- lairy for one. It evidently means flashily dressed, showy. I did have to look that one up. Bodgie was another I had to look up. At first I thought it might be a typo, and that the word dodgy might be what was meant. When I looked it up I found that it can be used to mean inferior, which fit perfectly with the context where it was seen. Also looked up were chook (slang for chicken when used as an insult to mean something foolish)and tosser (idiot or fool -- but from a term for masturbation). I feel like I get an education in the wonderful complexities of the English language with each book! None of these really stopped my progress in the book. I simply noted them and looked them up later.

In this episode, Roxy Parker gets an opportunity to write the authorized/unauthorized biography of a popular true crime writer who is represented by her literary agent, Oliver. The author, David Lone, is a handsome man who seems very interested in not only Roxy's writing skills, but Roxy herself. But before she can get started on the book, another of Oliver's writers dies under what could be mysterious circumstances. Lone, hoping to capitalize on the event, writes an article for the newspaper where he is employed suggesting that the death was murder. He jumps into the investigation with both feet and, before long, it seems he might be on to something when yet another of Oliver's writers is killed, followed closely by yet a third writer who is represented by Oliver. All the evidence seems to point to Oliver as the killer and it is up to Roxy to sort out the facts and prove Oliver innocent. But can she? And if Oliver isn't the killer, who is?

Wonderful plot, great pacing, and a great cast of characters make this book a joy to read. Proofing/editing was good, although I did find a couple of things that bothered me (those will come later). I loved that Larmer really made Roxy dig into herself on this one, trying to sort out her feelings for Max, trying to figure out the author, Lone, she was supposed to be writing about, and struggling with her loyalty to her friend/agent, Oliver, in the face of mounting evidence against him. If I liked Roxy before, I really really liked her after this episode. I loved that Larmer generously sprinkled hints and clues, many of which could be interpreted in more than one way, throughout the storyline. I liked that the reader has more than one person to suspect, and more than one reason to suspect each.

So, what didn't I like? Unfortunately, I did have a few things about which I wasn't so pleased.

At 944 (Kindle Fire first generation), Roxy is trying to relax with a glass of wine which she drinks from a "Morrocon tumbler." I think this should have been Morrocan. I did try to find "Morrocon tumbler" in an internet search, but everything that came up corrected the spelling, so unless there's a manufacturer who didn't show up in a simple search, this was a typo that should have been picked up.

At 1536, Max's sister, Caroline is described as wearing a "royal blue dress clashing with bright yellow beads..." which is described as "bold and garish and should not have worked." Really? Blue and yellow are both primary colors. They can't clash. They are in fact bold together, but garish? Certainly bright. Again, this could be a difference in language or even in just preferences from country to country.

This one was a biggie for me: gypsy-styled earrings. This is found at 2260. The word gypsy is a pejorative used for people of the Roma cultures. Although many non-Roma use the term and feel it is not derogatory, most Romany do feel it is used to disparage them. At the very least, the word should have been capitalized. One would not refer to turkish coffee -- it would be Turkish coffee. Yep. Big one for me and it lost the book a star.

I also wasn't pleased to see Larmer use a cheesy "a" before words to indicate the Italian accent of Tina's father:

"At last, a somebody understands!" he'd said in his thick Italian accent,... (found at about 2619) and this at about 2641: "oh, no, no, no. This is not a really for me. ... My memories of my Christina, they are in a here." He thumped his chest with a closed fist. "And in a here." He tapped his head with one calloused finger.

I'm not sure this, found at about 3837, is actually incorrect, but it set off my grammar alarm: They clearly didn't appreciate digital interruptions at this restaurant--although, apparently, screaming kids and flying toys was perfectly acceptable...

Again, to me, it should have been: ...apparently, screaming kids and flying toys were perfectly acceptable... I'll let some grammarian out there decide that. It was just jarring to my senses.

I had one more, but it's a spoiler -- so there will be a spoiler alert after the ending of my comments. Proceed with caution!

So, although I really, really like this novel and although I really really like Larmer's Roxy Parker, there were just too many things that I felt should have been picked up in proofing/editing for me to give the book 5 stars. Others may not be as bothered by these things. I readily admit that I can be nit-picky and that I am especially nit-picky if I like the author and the author's work. Believe me, it won't keep me from reading the next novel in the series, "Dying Words," which is next up on my Kindle carousel.

SPOILER ALERT: This last one will give away a big part of the climax of the novel, so read no further if you plan to read this book!

At 4330 on my Kindle:

"No thanks to Mr. Lone."

Ah, no, it would be ALL thanks to Mr Lone, who actually did plant the evidence that caused the police to believe Oliver was a suspect in the killings.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2014
Last Writes is a fun romantic mystery with the emphasis on fun and mystery. Larmer's Ghostwriter Mystery series chronicles the writing assignments of Roxy, a professional ghostwriter who has a penchant for death. The dialog is light and sassy, the characters are developed sufficiently for the storyline, and the solution is consistent with the clues laid along the way. (Don't you hate it when a writer provides a solution that is out of the blue?) Larmer's Ghostwriter series is set in Australia, so some of the dialog is Aussie slang, requiring some guesswork on my part, but I like that. I also like that Larmer gives enough detail to make the perpetrator a villian and the murder reprehensible, but she doesn't bog down in the gruesome details. Romantic encounters are just that - romantic - instead of hot, steamy, and sleazy. And Larmer avoids lacing every conversation with obscenities. Larmer is Australia's modern-day Agatha Christie (and in my book, that's a compliment).
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Roxy Parker is back, and ready to solve more crimes. This time it is some bestselling authors that have been found dead. A science fiction author with "X" violently slashed on him, a gardening guru killed by a pair of shears and a erotic novelist poisoned by a red apple!! With Roxy's agent, Oliver, as prime suspect, Roxy will have to investigate these crimes before a ghostwriter is the next to turn up dead!!

I discovered this series earlier this year, with the first book, Killer Twist. I instantly felt a bond for the smart and sassy heroine, Roxy Parker. She's such a fun sleuth, and she reminded me of one of my very favorite sleuths, Stephanie Plum.

In Last Writes, Roxy appears to have a new "friend" to help her solve this murder mystery. The sexy, seductive crime reporter David Lone. Given Roxy's history with photographer, Max Farrell, I was interested to see how this would all play out for Roxy. I won't give away any spoilers, but I will say that if you enjoy your mysteries with a delectable little bite of romance, then Last Writes will fill that craving nicely!

I was absolutely spellbound by Last Writes, and have no hesitation in recommending it to fans of cozy mysteries. The mystery is intriguing, and I love the way the author intertwined the mystery to what is happening in Roxy's own personal life.

I eagerly await the next book in this series.
on December 9, 2012
Last Writes is the 3rd book in the Ghostwriter Mystery series. I enjoyed the first two immensely and dove into this book with high expectations.
After finishing it I took a couple of days before coming here to write a review. I wanted to have time to think about the book on its own rather than as one of the series.

In my final consideration I realized I liked the story very much. I love C.A. Larmer's gift of being able to tell an interesting, humorous tale and drawing colorful characters with which to populate it.
The sticking point for me was that it had a very different feel from the other two books...not in a bad way, but definitely different.
There was a lot more emphasis put on romance in this book and I am not a fan of mixing mystery and romance. Ms. Larmer did a good job, however, and it wasn't overdone.

One small disappointment I had with the story is that I felt Roxy was preoccupied with her emotions and it got in the way of her usual sharp observations. There were a couple of times I thought, "That doesn't sound like Roxy." as she missed important points regarding the mystery.
Unlike the last two books I had a strong suspicion who the villain was early on, although I admit that I doubted myself a few times as the story progressed.

I hope that C.A. Larmer writes more Ghostwriter Mysteries. I really enjoy Roxy Parker, as she is a smart, relatable character and the author does a terrific job of weaving interesting mystery adventures for her.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book sounded better than the last book, which was a real snoozer. I had hoped it would be better and it was!

Someone is killing off best-selling authors. Oooh, intrigue! “Murder is one consistency you can count on.” (LOC 307)

Roxy’s obsession with death makes her a good sleuth. The murders were interesting and compelling. You just had to find out who was killing off all these writers.

I also liked how this book brought back a lot of the old characters from Book 1, like Oliver, the surly agent, and Max, the adoring long-lost friend. If these characters had been in the second book, it might’ve been better, almost average even. But this book was the best one yet! In fact, this probably should’ve led off the Ghostwriter series.

Another fascinating aspect was the love triangle between Roxy, David, and Max. Who should she choose? I like them both. Of course, the greatest twist was when Oliver is the prime suspect in these murders. How will Roxy solve this one? And will she solve it before becoming the next victim?

The best one ever!
on April 27, 2015
This was a very good book. It was fast paced and kept me guessing until the end. It had great characters. Enjoy.
Jeanne Zabst
on June 21, 2014
Once again, this book did not disappoint! I'm a little bit addicted to this series. I most definitely recommend it!