4.0 out of 5 stars A Series High Point
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

Published on March 1, 2011 by @Julia_ATUF

3.0 out of 5 stars Bang head here, repeat.
Published on April 18, 2011 by Jennifer

4.0 out of 5 stars A Series High Point, March 1, 2011
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:
[...]

From the first book, ROSEMARY AND RUE, it has felt like I jumped into the October Daye series "in media res." Quickly swept away by action and character development, I had for the most part forgotten Toby's mysterious past. LATE ECLIPSES not only brings it all back, but also explodes Toby's own preconceived ideas about herself and her heritage. While not a cliff hanger, this book ends poised at the top of an arc, and I can't wait to read where all of this forward momentum is going to take the series.

If book #3, AN ARTIFICIAL NIGHT, took us out of Toby's daily life and deep into the mythos of fairy, LATE ECLIPSES stays very much on her home turf. Unfortunately for Toby, that doesn't mean there isn't danger and intrigue, it just means her friends and family are in the line of fire. Flitting about Toby's consciousness, amidst mysterious sicknesses and political attacks, hints of Oleander de Merelands are appearing. One of the people responsible for Toby's fourteen year stint as a gold fish, the loss of her husband and child, and the twisted madness of her beloved liege lord's daughter, Oleander is one of the boogeymen of fairy, an evil individual and twisted assassin. No one wants to believe that Oleander is back, and even Toby is unsure of her own sanity at the suggestion, adding a psychological twist to a story that I already found compelling.

While the action is certainly non-stop, it was the characters that held my undivided attention. The book starts with glimpses of the home life Toby and May have built for themselves, and in the deadly cascade of events that follows, the possibility that they could lose that relationship was the one thought that really tugged at my heartstrings. In addition to May, Tybalt and Connor both share significant page time. I felt like I learned more about Tybalt and Toby's past relationship, as well as saw hints of it's future. However, McGuire isn't committing Toby to any one romantic path. Connor has always been the one that got away, and despite being married, the sexual tension (and his criminally insane wife) keep things interesting. Tybalt and Connor are two very different men, it may prove to be a Peeta and Gale moment when this tension is resolved.

Overall, Seanan McGuire has done a stellar job of developing her characters while interweaving action and suspense. As much as I enjoyed the romantic tension in LATE ECLIPSES, it was the details about Toby's family, both blood relation and adopted, that truly touched me. The story as a whole has me on the edge of my seat for ONE SALT SEA in September, I am eager to find out how all this will play out.

Sexual Content: Kissing, mention of prostitution and sexual relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly wonderful, March 9, 2011
When I began this series, I wasn't sure what to think. It wasn't my type of book at all. I can't get into fantasy and romance, and was scared this was going to wind up going the way of shiny vampires or other furry lovers. While the supernatural plays a huge role, instead of chasing me away, it's managed to draw me in, and this book is no different.

Toby Daye, the main character, is back in this latest installment. Once again she's faced with fighting against her half human side, and her half fae (fairy/not human). She's torn between 2 worlds, neither seeming to want her, both seeming to need her. Most of the time she feels the same. The book is so wonderful because some questions that are hinted at from the very beginning of the series are brought to light and answered, but it's so frustrating because the ones that are so glaringly obvious still aren't. As one of her dearest friends is killed she is forced into action. When she discovers she is being framed and others are being targeting she is forced to question everyone she knows, including herself. Throughout the book Toby finally learns the answers to questions she herself has never known, but leaves the reader wanting so much more. What about her family??? What about Tybalt??? There are times you want to reach through the pages and shake the author for dragging the obvious questions out. Yet she answers one you didn't even know exsisted. It's beautiful and sad at the same time.

This book didn't feature some of my favorite characters as much. I personally love seeing the Luidaeg a little more, and I do tend to favor Tybalt, but it did feature and answer a little more about Rayseline, and Julie. Some characters were brought back for brief appearances and if you haven't read the past books, you will get confused as to who they are and why they're around. This is one of those books that you really need to have the back story to understand what is going on. It's a wonderful addition to the series, but it leaves you waiting anxiously for the next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good addition to the series, March 4, 2011
This review is from: Late Eclipses (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
I like this series a lot. I follow a lot of series, but this one is one of the ones that I look forward to reading the most. Yes, there are some holes in the plots sometimes, and things can be a little obvious to the reader, while October still hasn't caught on, but these books are very creative and entertaining. I also like how they don't have sex scene after sex scene like some other fantasy books with strong women as the main characters, and I just love books about faeries. I'm not going to sum up the story, since other reviewers have done that already, but I do definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars McGuire just keeps topping herself., March 3, 2011
Frank W. Rice (Lafayette, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This was truly a great novel. Wonderful writing and story telling from start to finish. It's really rare for me to run through such a gamut of emotions when reading a novel, especially in the urban fantasy genre, but this novel succeeds in taking you through a great emotional roller coaster without ever tiring you out. Each novel that McGuire writes just brings this series to a new level in quality. When you can't put your Kindle down for more then fifteen minutes even when your body is screaming at you to eat and you only stop when your vision starts to get blurry and you get headaches rivaling what Toby must experience when casting too much magic...you know you've got a fantastic book on your hands.

Not everything is bright and perfect though. Ms. McGuire still isn't that great at the 'mystery' elements of her story. Things felt really rather clear cut from the get go and solutions were a bit too easily solved. That's not to say the story didn't move logically and the characters therein didn't act in character, but still in the future McGuire could work to improve her mystery skill quite a bit as it would nicely strengthen the story. However, considering that is the only fault I can discern in her evolving writing style it can be easily overlooked. In the future though perhaps McGuire might tone down those elements a bit as this is a great fantasy series without them and they feel a little awkward when used. The other story elements were however so strong though that this concern is greatly minimized and the authors great narrative, storytelling ability, and witty voice carry her characters through brilliantly. I am slightly concerned with the empowering and revelations regarding her origins that Toby received in this novel as part of the charm of the story was Toby's seeming typicalness and underpowered ability compared to those of her friends and kin. While a logical and natural seeming evolution it'll be interesting to see how future novels handle this or if the series will start to fray with the increasing powers of the protagonist.

Speaking of protagonists it seems time that McGuire starts writing up the other characters a bit. Perhaps a novel or short story with them as a narrator would be a nice switch. The personality that McGuire instills in her characters is wonderful and I'd love to see her grow her other characters the same as Toby has within their own story.

Another wonderful aspect of all of Ms. McGuire's works to date is believable female protagonists. As a male reader of this genre it always shocks me when a female author writes a female character that is so shallow and stupid I question how they can continue to survive. Usually their survival is all in the hands of some strong male figure pulling them along with them putting up resistance or flailing against this assistance only to run back in the end to the character they at first considered 'evil'. Such female characters disgust me for their shallowness and would I think greatly anger the average modern woman so it's always a shock to see that type of character used so often. So it's VERY refreshing to see an author who beats that stereotype dead. Yes, Toby has love interests but she is under no myopic unseeing view of their faults nor does she rely on them to save her overmuch. Yes, their are incidents where they are there for her but the relationship feels naturally symbiotic compared to the parasitic female leads in the vast majority of other urban fantasy fare. Toby is no parasite and she is no shallow scatter-brained wide eyed innocent that will not hurt or deal with problems and constantly put them on the back burner because of some concept of goodness. Toby feels like the sort of bad ass character you'd want saving you or working for you not a meek self-serving goodness proclaiming fool that makes up so much of this genre.

Again an excellent novel and most assuredly worth a read. The length of the novel itself is so wonderfully filling and the quality above so above many of the other urban fantasy dreck out there that both make this purchase a no brainer. Get it now and get totally absorbed into Toby's world for the next six or so hours. Just don't plan on sleeping, eating, walking the dog, watching TV, or anything else really until you've digested this novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire, March 15, 2011
This review is from: Late Eclipses (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm going to start out saying that I want Tybalt and October to just get together already. The tension is getting ridiculous and I'm 100% team Tybalt over Connor. I love the world that Seanan has created, it is full of a wonderful cast of people and places and all of her books have kept me wanting to read what she has to say. There are a lot of questions answered in LATE ECLIPSES, as well as the start, ending and clarification of events, relationships, and heritage. *cough cough go away Connor cough cough* Some friends are lost which was sad but it went with the book and didn't seem to pull it down any. Book 4 continues to have wonderful world building and original concepts. If you have enjoyed October Daye in the past you will want to continue to read her now and in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars You did it again, Ms. McGuire!, March 8, 2011
[...]

Late Eclipses is the fourth book in the October Daye series that takes you on a non-stop, action packed and emotional ride from page one. Toby ( aka October) has finally found a balanced and safe point in her life after her horrific and soul breaking encounter with Blind Michael in An Artificial Night. But poor Toby, life can never stay simple. She gets word that her dear friend Lily,the Lady of the Tea Gardens, has fallen gravely ill. When all signs point to Lily being poisoned, Toby quickly jumps on the case. However with others falling ill, The Queen coming after her with a malicious vendetta, along with her live in fetch as constant reminder of her imminent death, and finally Toby being haunted by an evil in her past that makes her question her own sanity, will she find out who is behind it all? Or will other obstacles keep her from helping those she loves?

This book is riveting. I have no other words to describe it. McGuire did a phenomenal job with character development. We see her building a life with May, becoming closer with Tybalt-King of Cats, Connor, as well as, Toby discovering her heritage. We see her internal battle over her sanity, and her selfless decisions when saving those she cares about. For those seeking answers, then you will not be let down. McGuire opens Toby's past and allows us to learn about her father and mother, along with what Toby is. However, that pesky Tybalt/Connor/Toby relationship, or lack there of, is still hanging in the air. But at least McGuire gives us hope and a little bit more interaction between Toby and her men. These along with many other exciting answers come with Late Eclipses, but with answers, often comes more questions, and this holds true in this book. But hey! Don't fear, because the fifth October Daye Book One Salt Sea comes out in September!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book 4 in a series that keeps getting better, March 2, 2011
Alice (Schenectady, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Late Eclipses (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
This series just keeps getting better and better. This is the fourth book in the series, and, at this rate, the last one's going to be so mind-blowingly awesome that you're going to kick yourself for the rest of eternity if you don't read it.

I don't want to get into any specifics, because it's hard to do it without huge spoilers that will keep any new potential readers from picking this up. And really, anyone who reads urban fantasy, fairy tales, mysteries, thrillers, or any combination thereof, would enjoy the series. It has a strong, snarky heroine. It has relationship geometry, and side characters you want to get to know better as much as Toby does. It has Cait Sidhe.

One of the things that struck me about this book was the balance in setting. The first book mostly took place in San Francisco, and later ones are more in the Summerlands, where the fae can be themselves. In this, there's a switching back and forth that allows the reader to get to see more of both settings, and it blends them together to make them feel like they're both a part of Toby's world. This was the first book where it felt like an even balance.

Other than that, I have to be vague. Important questions were answered, but in a way that raised new ones. Not in the frustrating Lost kind of way, but in a way that makes me eager to keep reading. Lots of things changed, but it never felt out of the author's hands. I'm confident questions will be answered and conclusions will be reached when the final book hits the shelves. The tension was excellently plotted. If you have any doubt as to this book being a page-turner, allow me to point out that it's 2 AM, and I started reading this book at 9 PM.

McGuire makes writing this well look easy. I'd be totally jealous if she wasn't also an awesome person.

Now, what are you waiting for? Catch up on the series before this one comes out! If you've already read them, re-read them to refresh yourself. And then pick this one up in March.

I may be slightly biased, because I won an advanced copy of this book off a random giveaway (and the above review is copy-pasted from my blog). But this book was good enough to buy a regular copy that'll hold up to multiple readings, which I did today. Pick it up. Stop missing out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bang head here, repeat., April 18, 2011
Jennifer (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This is my one series that I consistently trudge though because I hope that the author will somehow redeem herself by building more likable characters. Sadly, I don't like the main character. She's thick as a brick, dumb as a rock and I wouldn't even call what she does detective work. The 'mysteries' are poorly executed and the talk of 'heroism' makes me want to gag. I have yet to figure out why all the secondary characters like Toby so much.

I like Tybalt and the Luidaeg the best and the author is doing a poor job of relationship building when it comes to them. She seems to be moving more towards Connor with all the hand holding and *spoiler* so I can't say, which makes me squeamish. Connor is milquetoast. Sadly, I'm afraid she's going to turn Tybalt into a stalker weanie. Urgh.... why oh why do I continue to read this series?

I would like to give the author some credit for adding an element of mystery to Toby's heritage. She seems to be building an interesting story with that and the politics of fairy, lets hope it lives up to its promise. That is if I break down and read the next book. I have a while to decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - Another great installment in the October Daye Series, March 3, 2011
This review is from: Late Eclipses (October Daye) (Mass Market Paperback)
Plot Summary: Changeling October Daye has made quite a few enemies over the years, and now they've teamed up to bring her down. When two of Toby's closest friends fall mortally ill, her foes move to frame her for the crime. The only unforgivable offense in faerie is murder, so to prove her innocence Toby must find and capture the real perpetrator, or she'll be executed by Oberon's law.

(October Daye series: Book Four)

Late Eclipses is a study in contrasts. Toby has loyal friends with the hearts of lions (or cats, at least), but she also has enemies who will stoop to anything and everything to take her down. Since the reader is staunchly on Toby's side, these naked hostilities are a bit perplexing (isn't longing to burn someone alive a little extreme?), but they do provide excellent thrills and chills as the story progresses.

The October Daye series reads a lot like a detective story. It just happens to have a faerie knight as the P.I., and a passel of sidekicks who are magical misfits. Late Eclipses finally swings the story full circle to where it all begin in book one, Rosemary and Rue, where Toby is transformed into a fish for 14 years (that prologue broke my heart). Two people were responsible for Toby's imprisonment, and one of them resurfaces here to torment her again. The aptly named Oleander is an assassin who works with poison, and as the death toll mounts, Toby is the only person who knows who is responsible, mainly because Oleander is messing with Toby's mind.

For longtime fans of this series, I will say that it provides a few more clues for two continuing puzzles. One, we learn more about Toby's heritage and her mother, which is fascinating stuff, even if it wasn't all crystal clear. Second, the unacknowledged "thing" between Toby and Tybalt progresses nicely, but I won't give anything away, don't worry. Is it too early to look forward to the next book in the October Daye series? Not for me! I read a small preview for One Salt Sea, the fifth book that's coming in September 2011, and it was fantastic. Toby makes a getaway on a steep San Francisco street with a mermaid on a wheelchair. How awesome is that?

2.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but agonizingly drawn out, January 14, 2014
These books are well written, but I would enjoy them more if there weren't two Tobys in every book.

SPOILERS AHEAD

First half of the book Toby wanders around witlessly unable to make basic connections in logic. What's that you say? Everybody around me is dying of poison, I've had unexplained, escalating headaches, might be hallucinating, and you think I might be poisoned too? What a silly idea! Multiple people keep telling me there's something Super Important I need to know about my mother? Think I'll keep completely ignoring that.

Second half of the book Toby suddenly puts all the connections together, but only after the requisite number of people have died. Suddenly there's no pulling one over on her! Books 1,2, and three followed the same pattern. The lack of character consistency is irritating.

Late Eclipses (October Daye)
Late Eclipses (October Daye) by Seanan McGuire (Mass Market Paperback - March 1, 2011)
$7.99 $7.19