Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2010 7:38:39 PM PST
As a fairly recent Kindle purchaser, I am disappointed that publishers are significantly delaying the Kindle release dates. I may not be interested or even remember this book in late April. I understand that the Kindle version is less expensive but the publisher isn't paying to produce the physical item or ship it or the profit margin for the seller and shelf space either. By the time it is available for me to purchase on my Kindle, it will have been so publicized in the media that I won't buy it. As someone trying to reduce excess stuff in my life and trying to be green, I will either read it for free from the library or forget it....I won't be paying 75% of the hardcover price in 3 months to download it to my Kindle though. Food for thought for the publishing houses.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 10:09:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2010 10:13:23 PM PST
B. H. Henley says:
I am very disappointed with the fairly recent pattern of withholding bestsellers from Kindle users until everyone in the country who is really interested in the book has already read and discussed it. I didn't purchase two Kindles (one for a gift) so that I could pack it away and get my reading material from a second hand bookstore for a cheaper price and quicker than I could purchase it on my Kindle. I used to give lots of positive reviews on Kindle when asked how I liked it while on planes, etc.
That is ending. For the approximately $600 I have invested in the two readers themselves, I could have bought lots of books. As a matter of conscience though, I definitely will not purchase first-hand bestsellers. It is a lose-lose for publishers, Amazon and their customers.

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 10:27:40 AM PST
Irish fan says:
Is this also an issue for the "Nook"?

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 2:14:33 PM PST
Eileen says:
I agree! I was disappointed to find this book will not be available as an e-book 'til April. Would contacting the publishers who do this and letting them know our feelings have any benefit at all do you think?

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 6:52:40 PM PST
I think Amazon needs to address it on behalf of all of the Kindle owners out there, we've invested in good faith and now the pulishers are playing games with the release dates - very disappointing

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 11:30:56 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 30, 2010 11:31:27 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 2:01:01 PM PST
inkslinger says:
As a new Kindle owner myself, I couldn't agree more. I had no idea I would have to wait for the books to become available in Kindle version. I am also disappointed to see an upcoming new release costing over $19 for the Kindle version. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 5:37:18 PM PST
Julie says:
I ordered the Kindle edition and when I hit "one click" only then did I notice I wouldn't get it until April. I immediately cancelled my order. Forget it! And, I will not pay near full price for a Kindle version. Publishers need to go green and listen to the consumer base!

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 7:41:20 PM PST
Not liking this Kindle situation of not being able to get new release books when they are released. This especially stinks w/hot topic non-fiction books, which are no longer a hot topic months later. In addition, Kindle books are supposed to be cheaper, but the last couple I've purchased have been around $15 vs. $10. This price is same or nearly same I can buy the hardcover at many stores. The whole Kindle premise is convenience & long term cost savings. Turns out this may all end up being bull honkey as we say in the south.

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 7:41:29 PM PST
Dixie Belle says:
This is so unfair. If I can't get new releases what's the point of having the Kindle?
And if I do buy this book, I will not buy it from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 11:02:09 AM PST
Rick Segal says:
Nothing Amazon can do. The publishers have the right to shoot themselves with this shortsighted nonsense if they wish. Total bummer, that's for sure..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 11:03:11 AM PST
Rick Segal says:
Why would you not buy books from Amazon?

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 1:10:14 PM PST
We all bought a Kindle with the promise that books would be $9.99 and that they would be readily available upon publication. I'm disappointed to see that "hot topic" books are now delayed and that some kindle editions of books are priced at $15.00 and upward. I definitely don't buy those, until the price gets reduced. Let's go Amazon: stand behind your Kindle purchasers and advocate with the publishers both for immediate release and the promsed price structure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 1:29:48 PM PST
Yes it is. I have the Nook and it's April also. Just ordered it from the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 2:00:07 AM PST
I just deleted the kindle from my cart, and all the accessories, as I want to be able to discuss and understand new releases, when they are CURRENT!! I was just trying to eliminate all the space needed for paper books too, and not being so called green, I just have way too may books, 15 bookcases full!!!!!! I will get the new releases at my library, so I can stay current.....they won't get my money after all......

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 9:25:29 AM PST
I agree wholeheartedly! When I recently bought my Kindle I didn't realize many books would be more than $9.99 and not available for many months after publication.

Posted on Feb 1, 2010 10:08:34 AM PST
B. Branigan says:
Quite frankly, I'd pay 14.99 for the book. Give me the choice. I got the Kindle to read books. Would I prefer 9.99? Of course. So mad about this. It's so rare that I really want to read a book. BS.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 12:23:13 AM PST
Susie says:
I did not realize there would be such delays for newly published books and am very disappointed. By April this book will probably be selling on the bargain books tables for less than Kindle pricing. It's becoming difficult to recommend getting a Kindle to others in light of these issues.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 7:04:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2010 7:04:56 AM PST
Average Jane says:
I will not be purchasing a kindle because of this. This is the second or third book I've been ready to download thru my Kindle for PC application, and it's not available. So I'm going to the evil WalMart to get it cheap and now.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 5:14:36 PM PST
Mel Jones says:
New Title is going to be a Hit. "To Kill a Kindle"(To Kill a Mockingbird). I agree with the above comments posted. I came on here tonight prepared to pay $9.95, even $14.95 even I had too---but forget it. April is too late for above reasons stated. Kindle is now starting to receive lots of other choices of ebook readers on the market. Amazon could have led the pack but if this Current Practice Stands----

Mel Jones
Upset Retired Public School Teacher

Posted on Feb 3, 2010 7:03:15 AM PST
Duchess says:
Last weekend I "finally" ordered a Kindle DX, shortly after I had made it all the way to the parking lot of Barnes & Noble, to purchase "The Politician". My husband convinced me to purchase the Kindle and start getting my books for it vs. hard copy. Well, I was so excited to have ordered it and they sent an email the next morning saying I could go ahead and download books so that they would be on my Kindle when it arrived, so I began to go through the process only to find that "The Politician" had been pulled! I was, and am angry about this, how disappointing. Personally, I'd have paid more to get it now, but now I won't be getting it. The customers shouldn't be the ones punished by the power ploys and greediness of business dealings. They should have resolved this matter privately and expeditiously. Now I will NOT buy "The Politician", ever. I would boycott Macmillan, however it is Amazon that pulled the book, not Macmillan. I imagine it was an effort to take a stand against Macmillan, however, it was we, the readers that suffered for it. They forget it's we, the readers who provide them their profits! I can't believe I ordered a darn Kindle to read that book, at the same time they pulled it, all within a 12 hour period, not very good luck! I am still anxious to get my Kindle, but leery, now knowing that books can be plucked in a moments notice-for corporate greed. Amazon is what it is because of the customers, and doing this to their customers may very well hurt them in the future. Happy reading.

Posted on Feb 3, 2010 4:19:33 PM PST
L. Chimitris says:
Will be renting from my library for $1.00 next week-kindle-you blew it on this one. Would have bought for 9.99 today.

Posted on Feb 3, 2010 7:30:15 PM PST
I don't see how Amazon.com can sell Kindles and claim that books are only $9.99 as a selling point, and then raise the cost of books. I bought one of the original Kindles and have loved every minute of owning it. All the claims they have made were true. So they are going to raise the price of books, now that they got me to buy a Kindle? Is that false advertising? Can I send the Kindle back and ask for my money back?

winter2songs

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2010 2:06:54 PM PST
B. Coburn says:
They never "promised" that books would be $9.99

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 4:13:12 AM PST
P.Broadnax says:
Whatever was or was not promised (small print, people), the bottom-line is a fairly simple one. Higher prices appear for some Kindle books; I do not buy. MacMillan, a private corporation who answers only to a guy in Germany, is now out to make its point. I'm equally dedicated to making mine. If sales remain depressed at the higher prices, and windowed/staggered releases PROVE unacceptable, MacMillan will have little choice but to yield. But it is now convinced that a sufficient number of Kindle owners will prove to be all talk and no action. Reminder: Walmart, despite profound warts, remains a consumer favorite for a reason. Capitalism includes a rich history of consumer rebellion ("New Coke" anyone?). Kindle folks will rebel via a refusal to buy, or they will cave. Forum postings will not rule the day; closed wallets will.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jan 28, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions