5.0 out of 5 stars Truly an Inspiration, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Laugh You Live, Cry You Die: The Sequel to The Bridge Never Crossed-A Survivor's Search for Meaning; A Burn Survivor's Triumph Over Tragedy (Paperback)
Captain George Burk has given me two very precious gifts; his time and compassion (love). I had known of him for nearly 40 years as the sole survivor of the plane crash that killed my dad and 12 other brave men, but I didn't know his name or what had become of him. When I came upon Captain Burk's website one late night in January 2010, I felt so many things; the strongest emotion though, was joy.

I was joyful that Captain Burk had survived his injuries. I was joyful that he might share some information about the crash with me. He was the last person to see my dad alive. That was my selfish reason for contacting Captain Burk that night by e-mail. I wanted to talk to him. The very next day he called me.

Last April, I met Captain Burk for the first time in person. What an honor he's given to me and my dad. Through his books and our conversations I've learned so much about the events of May 4, 1970.

I had initially contacted Captain Burk to learn more about the past; however, I've come to learn so much more than that. Through knowing Captain Burk, I learned better about how to live. He is a real survivor, an inspirational leader and motivator. Captain Burk is truly a gift from God.

I am grateful and blessed that he considers me his friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh You Live, Cry You Die-The Sequel to The Bridge Never Crossed, January 6, 2012
My father, a master sgt., was on the plane that morning of May 4,1970 along with Captain Burk and 12 other men. All we knew at that time was that there was one survivor, which was a miracle. The last we had heard was that he was in a burn unit somewhere in Texas. A few months ago while searching the internet and typing my Dad's name in, an article about the plane crash came up. Out of curiosity my wife typed in Captain Burk's name and found his website and that he lived in our area. We contacted him by e-mail and he e-mailed back and then he called me the next day and we had a conversation over the phone. We decided to meet, which will be tomorrow. In the meantime he was kind enough to send us his books "A Bridge Never Crossed" and "Laugh You Live, Cry You Die". What a compelling and courageous story told in a detailed, yet down to earth honest way. Captain Burk has spent the last 41 years sharing this story and his experiences with others, including fire departments, churches, safety conferences and many other organizations. He is a walking miracle and a blessing to each and every one of us. It is an honor and privilege to have contact with him and to be able to meet him tomorrow. Our fathers would be proud of the way he has represented them and himself in such an honest and caring way. Thank you Captain Burk for being such a blessing. These books are a must read, written in a way that only the person that experienced it could express the honesty and courage that Captain Burk has displayed in sharing his story about not giving up and carrying on. Because of him our fathers' memories live on. God bless you Captain Burk.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUFFERING/SACRIFICE, January 1, 2012
CPT. Burke takes the reader inside the burn victim's mind as he decides through the pain and suffering to live or die. He takes the reader into ythe military burn ward with soldiers trying to regain a normal life. CPT. BURKE uses humorous stories of patients to highlight their care and suffering. Doctors, nurses and all care givers are recognized for their professionalism. A great book to give a reader an understandin into the mind of a burn patient.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT AMERICAN HERO!, November 22, 2011
Captain Burk is a True Great American Hero ... where most would have given up, he pushed on, he endured, he stood fast and laughed at life's insignificant problems ... Teaching us all a little something about perseverance, endurance, hope, and humility, his story is a MUST READ for all, for anyone looking for inspiration, determination, and the love of God & Family. I am proud to call Captain Burk my hero, a mentor, and most of all my FRIEND. This book is about Triumph and it reaches. God Bless you Captain and thanks for sharing your inspirational life with all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Compliment to "The Bridge Never Crossed", November 10, 2011
After reading Captain Burk's story and compelling description of the agony he endured while surviving in the Burn Unit it really rings home that our everyday problems are all relative and in most cases could be far-far worse. The interesting thing about Captain Burk is that in addition to his ability to persevere through a pain beyond normal comprehension, he used his faith to move forward in a way not just to survive but to live life to the fullest by making a difference to help and improve the lives of others.

God has a purpose for all of us. The literary work of Captin Burk is meaningful and life changing to many. If you have not seen him speak I suggest you go to his website [...] and check his speaking engagement schedule for an event near you - or - invite him to be the Keynote Speaker for the next organizational event you are involved in - you'll be glad you did!

Actually, the whole story of the incident and survival coupled with his positive philosophical message could be the basis of an excellent movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read !!, November 1, 2011
Having met Captain Burk personally, I can tell you the book only solidifies the traumatic experiences this man has gone through in his life as a result of the plane crash. A must read for understanding firsthand the suffering of a burn survivor. Read the words quickly and you will relive the horrifying and telling stories of his recovery. A book you simply cannot put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great message., March 11, 2013
Captain Burk's personal challenges and triumph over hardship will inspire and motivate. His message of learning to use a good attitude and humor to overcome adversity is a lesson for us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh You Live, Cry You Die, February 4, 2013
This man shows the integrity and character a person has even under the most brutal circumstances. I feel God had a special purpose for him to share how he survived through the grace of God and love of family. Great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughing in the Face of Death, August 5, 2012
U.S. Air Force Captain George Burk's book Laugh You Live, Cry You Die is a chronicle of how one man's will to live triumphed over severe injuries he suffered in the crash of a T-29 military aircraft in Sonoma County, California on May 4, 1970. This unique book contains many compelling elements: trauma, clinical detail, spiritual insights, a paranormal "near death" vision, religious faith, the love of family, colleagues, and medical professionals, and most important of all--a wellspring of personal courage and fortitude that is almost startling in its strength and endurance. As one of his attending physicians observed, Captain Burk's wide spectrum of injuries, infections, and surgeries makes him a poster child for burn treatment protocols. The book also makes it clear excellent medical care combined with a patient's will to live is a potent concoction.

Like many traumatic experiences, the crash has become a benchmark in Captain Burk's life. However, unlike many others who have overcome life-threatening experiences, Burk has chosen to share the event and his reaction to it with others by written and spoken word. By doing so, he has provided hope, support, and assurance to thousands of burn victims. By describing his long painful journey from shattered victim to victorious survivor, he has inspired and enlightened audiences at military academies, the general public, and emergency responders all across the land. He also has been the center of gravity for several relatives of passengers on the T-29 who did not survive the crash. Since he spoke at our Golden Gate Breakfast Club in San Francisco a few years ago, Captain Burk and I have kept in regular contact. Next week we and several others will team up to make a pilgrimage to the exact location of the crash. There we will look out over a eucalyptus grove, grazing cattle, and tawny hills undulating to the horizon. We will wonder how such a bucolic tableau could have been the scene of such death and destruction 42 years ago. And we will marvel at the only survivor's exceptional strength of character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Inspiration, March 4, 2012
This book is an amazing journey into the psyche of a burn victim and the life and death struggles he had to overcome. I love how nothing is sugar coated or filtered and is as raw as he was at the time. This book illustrates what an amazing inspiration Capt. George Burk is and continues to be, as he proves that no obstacle is too great to overcome if you stay positive and determined. It's like a road map to help you make it through those daily struggles, or tough times that hit everyone at some time or another. This book is worth reading and sharing with friends.

Rate and Discover Movies