5.0 out of 5 stars Late into his career, Daryl Hall creates a classic
Published 11 months ago by Sal Nudo

3.0 out of 5 stars I Love Daryl, but...........
Published 5 months ago by destiny_driven

5.0 out of 5 stars Late into his career, Daryl Hall creates a classic, July 23, 2013
Sal Nudo (Champaign, Illinois) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
The first few gentle acoustic guitar strums on leadoff track "Laughing Down Crying" sound like classic Eagles. It's the perfect way to begin this warm-sounding record that seems as if it were created at, well ... Daryl's house. This is a low-key, inviting, sensational album from start to finish. There's no gloss, just authentic songs written by an artist who's stripping down his sound to the basics -- "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type of music.

"Laughing Down Crying" has a grounded, organic feel, yet the songs are diverse. Snippets of the CD are cheerily played on the show "Live from Daryl's House," and hearing them in their entirety eventually brings on a familiar feel, like you've known this music forever. With effortless flair, Hall can do country ("Laughing Down Crying"), peppy pop-rock ("Talking to You" and "Message to Ya"), smooth 1970s soul ("Lifetime of Love"), gospel ("Save Me") and lighthearted blues ("Problem with You").

Amid all the great songs are true standouts, with sounds that hearken back to classic Hall and Oates of the 1980s. "Eyes for You (Ain't No Doubt About It)" is the "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" of this generation, an impossibly catchy, pop-soul track that would have been a No. 1 hit back in the day. Deeper into the CD, Hall breaks into more ethereal territory with the mid-tempo gems "Wrong Side of History" and "Get Out of the Way," my favorite tunes.

You'd never know it by its cozy, grooving, free-flowing sound, but the making of "Laughing Down Crying" was not without some rock 'n' roll drama. Sadly, Hall's longtime guitarist, T-Bone Wolk, passed away during the making of the record. Luckily other musicians, including the amazing Paul Pesco, were brought in to bring it to completion. The overall results are fabulous ... bring it on home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daryl Hall is Back...But He's Never Been Gone!, September 27, 2011
Martin M. Ruminski (Cheektowaga, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (MP3 Music)
This is a refreshing mix of many styles. Obviously Daryl has picked up and absorbed a lot of music in his live Daryls House web show from new acts and the act of playing a lot of live music on the fly. He is more fluid, more LIVE, more natural on this group of songs than on any I have heard before and I have listened to EVERYTHING he has done way back to Sacred Songs and of course the Hall and Oates stuff before that. I would stay that Can't Stop Dreaming is probably still the BEST solo CD he has recorded. But this rates up there with it and is probably better than Soul Alone and Two Hearts. It's much more of a rock and soul mixture...which is not strange for Daryl but he delved much more into the SOUL part than the ROCK part in his previous solo albums. One can hear funk, gospel, rock, techno, pop and much more on this disk. There are a few very catchy tunes...most notably Talking to You (is like talking to myself) and Lifetime of Love. One of those is a single. He uses some female back up singers, which is always welcome given Hall and Oates dogged stubborness against using female back up singers when it seemed obvious and natural to do so over the years. Get Out of the Way is a strange song, I dont hear much of a bass line in it. Whatever it is is mixed way back. Daryls vocals seem to be mixed in a wide room, ambient manner...not up front and center but somewhere on the sides of the room. That can be frustrating when you want to hear those golden cords gleaming still in his 60's. The power of the voice is undeniable still. I am hoping Daryl plays these songs on a special Live From Daryls House to create a live video of performing them. Also I hope some guest artists ask to share singing a few of these new tunes to celebrate a new era of Daryl Hall...which we are very lucky to be able say exists at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daryl Hall's Finest Work To Date - Master Class, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Very few artists actually put out a project with so many great songs. There is absolutely no need for me to go on and on. What Daryl has done is completely energized his fan base and created a new generation of fans without a doubt. I get it completely and the songs are not like anything Daryl has done before. Is it any wonder when your listening to Pandora with Daryl Hall radio, the best songs just keep coming from all over the place. I rarely ever hit thumbs down which I cannot say about any other artist. I really love Live From Daryl's House and I really feel I understand and know a little about the man. This album is a must buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars I Love Daryl, but..........., January 19, 2014
destiny_driven (Saratoga Springs, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Laughing Down Crying is good in that it has familiar music from Live at Daryl's House on it. The bad thing is that it is chocked with filler, or perhaps he has just searching for the magic that once pumped out hit after hits, during an earlier time in the artist's life. I love the show because of it's spontaneity and live feel. However, the album is not the greatest Daryl Hall offering in my collection. .I love you Daryl, but I have to be real here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Heard this on live from Daryl's house. I love the Daryl's house version of some of the songs but this CD is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music!, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Ever since I started watching "Live from Daryl's House," I've wanted to get this CD. It did not disappoint! Fans will need to add it to their H&O collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Daryl, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
The man is timeless.. as good as always!!!

Please keep them coming and thank you for the new season of Live from Daryls House.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daryl Hall is pure gold., May 27, 2013
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Daryl doesn't miss on any of the songs here. He is as revelant and insightful and melodic as ever. My favorite cut is Eyes For You. I miss T-Bone Wolk. This was his last collaboration with Daryl.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A VOICE!!!!!!, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
I've been a long-time forever Hall & Oates fan since day one. My kids grew up listening to them belting out hits on our old turntable when once upon a time there were albums, 45's, and cassette tapes. How much fun was it to watch my then two year old daughter dance around shaking her little bootie to MANEATER? It was fun! Now, living in the modern world, these favorites sound one hundred percent better. Who would have thought that could happen? They sounded great back in the day but are even better now.

Daryl's voice can melt butter. It's smooth, full of heart and soul and romance. His voice is vibrant and rich and I still love listening to him after all of these years.

LAUGHING DOWN CRYING is a great CD. What a bunch of awesome songs. My favorite is EYES FOR YOU (Ain't No Doubt About It). The entire gang does a fantastic job, blending all of their talents to create this wonderful group of songs. The music in each song is beautiful and the singing -- ahhh, the singing. That voice. That voice --

I've seen Hall & Oates in concert three times now. Each time was better and more fun than the previous time. To think that someone can be in the business of making music this long and still be fresh and new, still have a great voice, still have the gift and magic of words marrying music to create such good vibrations -- it's inspiring! Daryl Hall can belt them out with what appears to be little or no effort; his voice is so good and golden it sends shivers down my back bone. Today while I had the CD playing my husband said, "WOW. IS THAT DARYL HALL? HE CAN REALLY REALLY SING. NOW THAT I'M OLDER I CAN REALLY APPRECIATE HIS VOICE." How true! Well, also, what took him so long?!!!! (My hubby I mean!!)

LAUGHING DOWN CRYING relates some of Daryl's life journey he has made along the way. The good and bad, the happy and sad. Life is what it is, but it's what you do with what life throws your way that counts. Daryl Hall takes advantage of his experiences and shares them with us through music.

The man can sing there is no doubt about it. I hope he continues to sing for a long, long time. It's also a joy to see Live From Daryl's House and enjoy musical friends spending time together jamming and having a great time and including us in their good times.

This is a CD you will want to purchase and enjoy! I'm glad Santa brought it to me!

Thank you.

Pam

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but..., October 19, 2011
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Having seen the 5 star reviews,I was expecting a great album. However, I must have received an entirely different album because the one that I got falls way short of 5 stars. The production is slick. The playing is polished and professional. Daryl Hall's vocals are fine, if a little restrained. The problem is that the songs are weak by his and Hall and Oates standards. They sound like filler material, make for good background listening, but hardly anything about them is memorable 10 minutes afterwards. I thought that the album might be a 'grower' and have given it several listens, but it just doesn't hit the spot for me. Hopefully, Hall and Oates can reconvene and produce a more focused record.

Laughing Down Crying
Laughing Down Crying by Daryl Hall (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies