5.0 out of 5 stars Late into his career, Daryl Hall creates a classic
Published 19 months ago by Sal Nudo

3.0 out of 5 stars I Love Daryl, but...........
Published 13 months ago by destiny_driven

5.0 out of 5 stars Late into his career, Daryl Hall creates a classic, July 23, 2013
Sal Nudo (Champaign, Illinois) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
The first few gentle acoustic guitar strums on leadoff track "Laughing Down Crying" sound like classic Eagles. It's the perfect way to begin this warm-sounding record that seems as if it were created at, well ... Daryl's house. This is a low-key, inviting, sensational album from start to finish. There's no gloss, just authentic songs written by an artist who's stripping down his sound to the basics -- "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type of music.

"Laughing Down Crying" has a grounded, organic feel, yet the songs are diverse. Snippets of the CD are cheerily played on the show "Live from Daryl's House," and hearing them in their entirety eventually brings on a familiar feel, like you've known this music forever. With effortless flair, Hall can do country ("Laughing Down Crying"), peppy pop-rock ("Talking to You" and "Message to Ya"), smooth 1970s soul ("Lifetime of Love"), gospel ("Save Me") and lighthearted blues ("Problem with You").

Amid all the great songs are true standouts, with sounds that hearken back to classic Hall and Oates of the 1980s. "Eyes for You (Ain't No Doubt About It)" is the "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" of this generation, an impossibly catchy, pop-soul track that would have been a No. 1 hit back in the day. Deeper into the CD, Hall breaks into more ethereal territory with the mid-tempo gems "Wrong Side of History" and "Get Out of the Way," my favorite tunes.

You'd never know it by its cozy, grooving, free-flowing sound, but the making of "Laughing Down Crying" was not without some rock 'n' roll drama. Sadly, Hall's longtime guitarist, T-Bone Wolk, passed away during the making of the record. Luckily other musicians, including the amazing Paul Pesco, were brought in to bring it to completion. The overall results are fabulous ... bring it on home.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Love Daryl, but..........., January 19, 2014
destiny_driven (Saratoga Springs, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Laughing Down Crying is good in that it has familiar music from Live at Daryl's House on it. The bad thing is that it is chocked with filler, or perhaps he has just searching for the magic that once pumped out hit after hits, during an earlier time in the artist's life. I love the show because of it's spontaneity and live feel. However, the album is not the greatest Daryl Hall offering in my collection. .I love you Daryl, but I have to be real here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daryl Hall is Back...But He's Never Been Gone!, September 27, 2011
Martin M. Ruminski (Cheektowaga, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (MP3 Music)
This is a refreshing mix of many styles. Obviously Daryl has picked up and absorbed a lot of music in his live Daryls House web show from new acts and the act of playing a lot of live music on the fly. He is more fluid, more LIVE, more natural on this group of songs than on any I have heard before and I have listened to EVERYTHING he has done way back to Sacred Songs and of course the Hall and Oates stuff before that. I would stay that Can't Stop Dreaming is probably still the BEST solo CD he has recorded. But this rates up there with it and is probably better than Soul Alone and Two Hearts. It's much more of a rock and soul mixture...which is not strange for Daryl but he delved much more into the SOUL part than the ROCK part in his previous solo albums. One can hear funk, gospel, rock, techno, pop and much more on this disk. There are a few very catchy tunes...most notably Talking to You (is like talking to myself) and Lifetime of Love. One of those is a single. He uses some female back up singers, which is always welcome given Hall and Oates dogged stubborness against using female back up singers when it seemed obvious and natural to do so over the years. Get Out of the Way is a strange song, I dont hear much of a bass line in it. Whatever it is is mixed way back. Daryls vocals seem to be mixed in a wide room, ambient manner...not up front and center but somewhere on the sides of the room. That can be frustrating when you want to hear those golden cords gleaming still in his 60's. The power of the voice is undeniable still. I am hoping Daryl plays these songs on a special Live From Daryls House to create a live video of performing them. Also I hope some guest artists ask to share singing a few of these new tunes to celebrate a new era of Daryl Hall...which we are very lucky to be able say exists at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daryl Hall's Finest Work To Date - Master Class, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Very few artists actually put out a project with so many great songs. There is absolutely no need for me to go on and on. What Daryl has done is completely energized his fan base and created a new generation of fans without a doubt. I get it completely and the songs are not like anything Daryl has done before. Is it any wonder when your listening to Pandora with Daryl Hall radio, the best songs just keep coming from all over the place. I rarely ever hit thumbs down which I cannot say about any other artist. I really love Live From Daryl's House and I really feel I understand and know a little about the man. This album is a must buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but..., October 19, 2011
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Having seen the 5 star reviews,I was expecting a great album. However, I must have received an entirely different album because the one that I got falls way short of 5 stars. The production is slick. The playing is polished and professional. Daryl Hall's vocals are fine, if a little restrained. The problem is that the songs are weak by his and Hall and Oates standards. They sound like filler material, make for good background listening, but hardly anything about them is memorable 10 minutes afterwards. I thought that the album might be a 'grower' and have given it several listens, but it just doesn't hit the spot for me. Hopefully, Hall and Oates can reconvene and produce a more focused record.

5.0 out of 5 stars God luv ya Daryl, April 23, 2014
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
If u don' t own this yet, RIP YER FREAKIN' UNDERWEAR GETTING THE $$$ OUTA YER POCKET.
I/m a professed addict of Daryl's house, but this album stands out in it's professionalism/clear cool sound.
I buy @ least 5 Cd's a month, this is my fav. of 2014 so far. Every time i listen to it I find a great new cord or riff.
His band is outstanding, his vocals as good as ever, his lyrics may not be profound, but they are well chosen.
This is his best solo effort, no there's no one single heart/showstopper (`ala "Someone like u) but all the songs just
flow in such a natural progression,that you'll find u got to make time for the whole album- u just can't turn it off...
Once again, do yourself a favor, enjoy this Cd- life is short!

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like this album at all, July 21, 2014
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
I don't like this album at all. I have been a fan since day one, all of Hall & Oates. But Love, Love, Love "Soul Alone" and "Can't Stop Dreaming". The Soulful, sexiness along with great songs and lyrics can not be beat. I feel these are his best solo ventures to date. The Blue eyed soul has always been what makes him great. Like they say "don't fix what ain't broke. I hope whatever comes next is more of what he does best. I don't want to hear him fit into what works now, I want what he has always been...Really disappointed :"(

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Heard this on live from Daryl's house. I love the Daryl's house version of some of the songs but this CD is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music!, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
Ever since I started watching "Live from Daryl's House," I've wanted to get this CD. It did not disappoint! Fans will need to add it to their H&O collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Daryl, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Laughing Down Crying (Audio CD)
The man is timeless.. as good as always!!!

Please keep them coming and thank you for the new season of Live from Daryls House.

Laughing Down Crying
Laughing Down Crying by Daryl Hall (Audio CD - 2011)