1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to your library, December 25, 2007
I found this book at the university library and was glad that I was "cruising" the new book stacks. This book was fun to read and some chapters even offered some statistics! This timely book makes the correlation between political humour and satire and the ways in which a good comedian or personality can educate, alienate, and humour audiences alike.

I was the most interested with the sections that discussed the "Daily Show," since I am a big fan of Jon Stewart. I plan on using 3-4 chapters in my American Politics during the summer and fall terms. I also appreciated how the anthology as a whole understands the importance of humor to youth today.

The audience for this book would be primarily college educated and college students in the social sciences and humanities. What would be interesting to read as a companion piece would be a similar anthology looking at more conservative comedians and analyzing their effects on listeners and viewers. This book looked at mainstream comedians who were primarily center or center/moderate/left.

While I'm not too keen on giving more Fox News type more air time, since they pretty much dominate the air waves, I would find this sort of study interesting for teaching purposes.

Overall, this anthology was educational and not surprinsingly hilarious. I'm hopeful that other political scientists will use this book, as well.

Laughing Matters: Humor and American Politics in the Media Age
Laughing Matters: Humor and American Politics in the Media Age by Jody Baumgartner (Paperback - August 24, 2007)
$51.95 $46.49