Customer Discussions > PlayStation Vita - Wifi forum

Launch Bundle or Wifi + 4GB

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2012 8:39:11 PM PST
I am still debating which one to get. I dont plan to use the Vita on the go, so 3G and GPS are both useless. I will rarely download anything from the PSN, and I prefer to buy my games from retail stores, since there is almost always some deal buying the hard copy. But I am not sure if the 4GB would be enough for saves, and the free/discounted psn titles, demos, themes, etc.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 9:33:14 PM PST
get wifi+ 16gb instead of the launch bundle.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 9:42:26 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
you wont need 16 gb unless you plan on keeping demos forever....

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 11:33:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2012 11:34:34 PM PST
Omar says:
Arun, your debate is the same I have had. It is great that you know exactly what you want, and HOW you will be using your system. Definitely go for the wifi version plus the starter kit for $40. I believe 4GB will be more than enough for saving games (I too will be mostly buying retail physical games, like you said, for deals, 3rd party sellers, or if you want to resell them later), downloading themes, demos (which you will probably delete after some time) and the occasional PSN titles (which won't be large in size). Good luck in your decision.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 11:58:18 PM PST
Sal Paradise says:
Definitely going with the Wifi version here for $250. I figure to get the 16 GB mem card just in case I do decide to get some non-cartridge versions of games.

I think you should also factor in if you have a PS3 with a good sized HDD. If so, then I would get a 4 GB card and if you go over, you can transfer some games to the PS3 and transfer back later. My PS3 is only 40GB and is constantly full, hence I'll spend a few bucks more for the convenience of knowing I won't run out of space on the 16 GB card.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 12:42:45 AM PST
Everett says:
"I figure to get the 16 GB mem card just in case I do decide to get some non-cartridge versions of games."

If you don't plan on going almost completely digital, a 16 gb card is totally overkill. A 16 gb card will likely hold at least 8 to 10 full vita games.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:30:22 AM PST
sakanagai says:
If you plan of buying a memory card at launch, the "sweet spot" is currently 8GB, double the capacity of the 4GB card for $10 (50%) more. Moving up from that, the 16GB card costs as much as two 8GB cards. Prices of these cards will surely drop over time, particularly once larger capacity cards hit the market. The 8GB card prove sufficient until then.

When the PSP first came out, MS-Duo's were incredibly expensive. I got mine in Dec 2004 when 2GB I believe was the largest on the market. Granted, there was no PSN Store at that time, so you didn't need much space. I played the same game then, starting with the smallest/cheapest card and working my way up until the next jump didn't provide extra value. In 2004, it was a 512MB MS-Duo on sale for $100. Progress is a wonderful thing.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:08:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 5:13:12 AM PST
Omar says:
Sal, personally I am against buying digital games that could be found in physical form. (1) You are going to pay retail to almost-retail prices anyway, without much discounts as opposed to finding your game on amazon or ebay or through 3rd party sellers which usually offer them cheaper (2) You are stuck with that game, while physical games carry a very important option of reselling (imagine buying a $40 game that you thought would love, then ended up hating it, or simply do not play it anymore, at least with reselling you will make up a portion of the price you paid (3) You will fill up memory cards much faster, as opposed to using cards to save the games (which usually is only KBs in size) or download PSN only titles (which will only be on average just a few hundred MBs).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 5:09:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 5:12:33 AM PST
Omar says:
Curtis: I remember when I got the PSP-2000, it came with a 32 MB sized card LOL. But back to your comment. Yes, there is the $10 you speak of. But if you get the starter kit, the value is even better in my opinion. For the OP's needs, I highly doubt he will struggle with 4GB for, very likely, the life of his Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 5:36:01 AM PST
sakanagai says:
Omar, good point. If you are ordering today, there is decent value in going for the pricier 3G launch bundle which includes the 3G hardware (you cannot upgrade a WiFi PSV system to 3G), an 8GB memory card and data pass. Factoring the cost of the card, ignoring the data for a bit, $20 for the additional hardware is reasonable. If you had preordered back when the system was on sale ($10 off), and/or got a combo discount (game + PSV got another $10 off), and/or used promotional credit for that order, that relative cost can prove quite steep.

tl;dr OP, get the 3G bundle ($299 for 3G system and 8GB card) if you have the extra $50 to spare.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 6:47:58 AM PST
Omar says:
Curtis: this has been discussed in other threads: For you to get the free(not really free afterall) 250MB from AT&T and the game, you have to sign up for AT&T's service for at least a month (that's $25 I believe). I know I will not be using the 3G. With today's smartphones and tablets, if I need internet on the go, ill opt for any of those options. It's not about the money, its about the best allocation of that money. I will be getting the wifi plus the starter kit, a total of $290, but I will have gotten the case, screen protector, card case, and 4GB memory card and earbuds (although I know they will probably be crap) out of the way. I am a very traditional gamer, no need for bells or whistles for me. I'd rather spend that $20 you refer to on a game. That's why I encouraged the OP to go for the wifi version. It's very important to know HOW you will be using the system. Plus, if I know I won't be using or paying for 3G, it will be a useless feature for me. I always like to use the laptop metaphor. If someone is a very light computer user (check emails, surf the internet, etc) there is no need to buy a $2000 laptop as its power will not be necessary and that money will be better spent elsewhere. I personally use a laptop all the time and for all purposes, so getting the high end macbook pro is a must for me (on my 3rd one in 6 years). Exactly the same case here, although of course, the huge difference in price, but the principle remains the same. :)

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 8:27:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 8:28:45 AM PST
thanks Omar, thats exactly what I ended up preordering, the wifi model with the starter kit. Turns out 10 dollars cheaper than the launch bundle. But more importantly has the accessories that I would surely end up getting down the road, like the 4gb, case, screen protector, etc. Lot more value IMO than the 8GB, 3G + gps, 250mb data, free psn game, etc.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 8:44:23 AM PST
Omar says:
My point of view exactly. Im very glad I could have helped with your decision. I wish we could have pre-ordered when Amazon had the small discount Curtis referred to, but I had only become interested in the Vita very recently.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 10:37:27 AM PST
Sal Paradise says:
Yes Omar, but I will be using the PSN store to download Japanese Vita games i.e. Tales of Innocence. After factoring in the shipping from online Japanese site like Rakuten and the fact that I cannot resell the games in any capacity until I return to Japan once every year or two, downloading full games from PSN is my best choice. Of course I understand where you are coming from and fully plan on buying US games so I can resell on clist after I finish them and recoup a good chunk of my money. But for import games, I'm thankful that Sony is at least giving people an option.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 9:10:12 AM PST
will Japanese Vita games be available on the US store. Isnt the vita tied to one account and is region locked to that account?

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 9:56:05 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
Japanese games will not be available to a US PSN account.

the Vita is tied to one account, but it's not really "region locked" to that account.
You can't play downloaded Japanese games b/c you can't access the Japanese PSN store.
You can, however, play Japanese games on physical media.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 10:17:42 AM PST
Sal Paradise says:
Well that's assuming the account you use is a US account. If you have a Japanese account, then you can access the JP PSN Store and download games like Tales of Innocence with no problem on your US Vita, although you might need a Japanese credit card as well.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 11:17:35 AM PST
I'll just use the 4GB until I need to download games, which will probably be around when the bigger memory cards drop in price.
I'm a sucker for physical media, so I'll only be downloading exclusives.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 11:36:52 AM PST
Zelda says:
I had not thought of using my memory card only for exclusives. That is a really good idea. I have already recieved my 8GB card and its just sitting on my desk at home. I have been debating on whether or not to stick to digital, physical or a mix between the two. I kinda want the big budget titles on physical format.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 3:24:03 PM PST
I'm getting that Starter Bundle, which includes a pouch, screen protector, ear buds, cleaning cloth, and a 4GB memory card. I was thinking about an 8GB memory card, along with another case, different ear buds, Hori screen protector, etc., but the price would be quite a bit higher. Seeing as I'm keeping my PSP-3000, and I won't be rebuying PSP games through digital format, the only 3 PSP games I have digitally are Killzone Liberation, Modnation Racers and Corpse Party, the first two being from the free PSN offers last year. I'll be opting for the majority of games in physical form, then I'll pick up any good PSN exclusives down the road when memory cards come down a bit. I'll just use the memory card for saves right now, because I do want that pouch and some other things in the Starter Bundle.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 4:56:59 PM PST
LadySnape says:
Also, if you preorder from Target (sorry Amazon), you get a free 20 dollar gift card. So you might have an extra 20 dollars to spend on some ps vita items later on. Just a thought.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 8:13:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 8:14:00 PM PST
Oscar Martel says:
@LadySnape but you already are paying taxes [like what $20? depending in you state i guess] so basically you are paying the same only thing you wont be waiting for UPS to deliver xD

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 4:46:04 PM PST
LadySnape says:
I'd have to pay tax on this anyway because we have to declare Amazon on income taxes anyway. It's a wash for me. I'm just putting the info out there anyway. Thought people would like to know.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation Vita - Wifi
PlayStation Vita - Wifi by Sony (PlayStation Vita)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (673)