1,577 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow down and Enjoy...Lava!
Published on March 6, 2008 by Arcturus70

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute junk
Published on July 31, 2010 by E. Orchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow down and Enjoy...Lava!, March 6, 2008
Arcturus70 "Arcturus70" (In the Orion Spur of the Milky Way Galaxy) - See all my reviews
This is my first real lava lamp, and I must say that it has captured my attention and my imagination. Sure, it takes about an hour to warm up to a unique display--as others have mentioned; however, I find THAT aspect very comforting in today's fast-paced, too immediate, too loud, too impatient, too now-oriented society. The Lava lamp moves with its own motion and mood. Its purpose is to calm and to relax a person; it is the perfect companion for some soft music and NO TV.

I love the colors of this product. They are very soothing. When the lava really starts moving, mingling, the lamp has a beautiful, unearthly quality about it. I tend to watch each blob with interest and forget the day's troubles.

Slow down and enjoy the blobs...

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT! The Real Thing!!!, March 11, 2004
"_t_" (McComb, MS USA) - See all my reviews
This is great lamp... Received mine from "Lamps Plus" via Amazon.com and the package came in perfect condition with plenty of cushion to get it to my home safely... This one has nice contrasting colors that give off a nice glow to the room without really adding much light... Great, fun light!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Won't Regret This Purchase, November 29, 2011
I recieved my Lava Color Phasing Vortex Lamp today & absolutely love it. I've owned Lava's battery-operated version for 3 years (and love it too). The new one is 4.5 inches taller than the battery-operated version, plugs in to house current (with the included adapter), and the motor runs constantly (to make the glitter swirl). The battery-operated version's motor cycles off & on (probably to extend the batterie's life). The unit has 6 LEDs (2 red, 2 blue, and 2 green). In the technical details, it states the unit "Generates soft, relaxing aquarium sound". My unit makes only a faint sound you would only notice in a silent room and within 6 ft. of it. Any other sound in the room would be louder than it (& mask the sound). I consider the unit's lack of noise a plus. The price has dropped twice since it was introduced. It's currently selling for only 37.5% of it's original price making it a steal. I checked wattage using my Kill a Watt Electricity Useage Monitor. It's so low, the meter can't detect (0 watts) the current used. The unit is always the same temperature as the room its in. There is nothing to make the unit run hot like older Lava Lamps using an incandescent (15 to 40 watt) bulb. Buy it - - you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, easy fix for clouds instead of clear., February 2, 2012
Alright, so when I got it out of the cardboard tube, I was a little dismayed to find that the wax had combined with the clear liquid in the globe to make it cloudy. The clouds were pretty bad, but the effect of the lava lamp was still the same, I just wasn't very happy with the fact that it was dysfunctional. All I had to do was pop the little bottle cap off while it was completely settled down, pour out whatever the liquid was, and fill it with COLD water (if you melt the wax while doing this, you will have exactly the same problem. I then added about five drops of liquid detergent to the water, and the lamp lavas perfectly and is clear (or at least as clear as it can get with the slightly foggy glass that it comes in, but that can't be helped.)

Oh, and you can definitely add food coloring to the water if you please, but don't go overboard, like, 3 drops should be more than enough.

Best of luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute junk, July 31, 2010
After purchasing two "old" lava lamps from the 1990s, I saw that my local hardware store had these on sale for $10. I knew that LavaWorld outsourced their entire lamp production to China in the early 2000s and quality had suffered since, but I thought I might get lucky and get a good one. No such luck. I took the lamp out of the box, put the globe on top of the vase and turned it on. Immediately, I could see some sort of flaky stuff in the liquid. No idea what that was. I left it on for about two hours and the lava just sat there in a huge blob at the bottom of the globe. Two more hours passed - same thing. The lava never "took off" and appeared to be partially separated from the heating coil. I noticed that these lamps run on a small 25W bulb and my lamps from the 90s run on 40W bulbs. D

I have two lava lamps from the 1990s (Lava Lite) and they flow beautifully. It's really obvious from the moment you take these news ones out that quality has suffered. I would under no circumstances buy a new lamp from LavaWorld. If you're really interested in owning a beautiful, functioning lamp, do some research online and learn about which ones are good quality. My advice: get one from the 90s or earlier. Don't believe me? Read the reviews of LavaWorld lamps on here and you'll find all you need.

This lamp is being returned tomorrow.

Long live the lava (just not these!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than a Fish Tank!, February 22, 2010
Velocipede (Palm Desert, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lava Lite 2124 Classic 14.5-Inch 20-Ounce Silver Lava Lamp, Yellow Wax/Blue Liquid (Tools & Home Improvement)
Mine did nothing when I first got it. The blue blob just sat at the bottom of the bottle. I shook it once and turned the light off for an hour. After an hour - I switched it back on again and was rewarded with the COOLEST show of liquid motion ever! At first the wax stretched towards the top of the glass and after two hours...the neat little balls started forming.

I am hooked on this little relaxation device now. I could stare at those globules stretching, twisting, balling-up and colliding with each other ALL DAY now! Its really more soothing than a fish tank, and works PERFECT with relaxing music. It is a great conversation piece and therapeutic...all wrapped up in one cool, retro looking lamp!

I suggest hooking a timer to it and scheduling it to work while you sleep. The lamp seems to work much better when it cycles between OFF/ON periodically. The lamp MUST cool down every 6-8 hours...or else you'll see nothing but a lazy, round blob sitting at the bottom of the glass. Don't buy it for the illumination...get it because it definitely will UNSTRESS YOU.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would Be Nice -- If It Worked, September 17, 2010
The good news is that when this thing is working, it looks cool. The plasma streams look unexpectedly good in the lava-lamp shape.

The bad news is that the quality control on these lamps seems to be as bad as that plaguing the Xbox 360.

The first two I received were DOA -- no light at either of the two settings ("constant on" or "sound responsive").

The manufacturer replaced the second one (which I bought from another vendor), and it worked well for about two weeks.

Now, even at the "constant on" setting, it won't stay on. If you give it a shake, it will come back on -- for minutes or seconds.

In addition, when the unit did work, the "sound responsive" setting wasn't very sensitive. You REALLY had to blast some music for the lamp to respond properly -- loud enough to bother your neighbors.

So, as much as I like the idea of a sound-responsive plasma lava lamp, I have to say that the execution leaves MUCH to be desired. NOT recommended!

UPDATE: I managed to get a replacement lamp under warranty. So far this one has been working... That makes one out of four that worked for more than two weeks! The vendor claimed that he had gotten very few customer complaints, but acknowledged that maybe my problems were the result of a "bad batch". All I can say is -- this "bad batch" has been around since I got the first DOA unit from Amazon over the holidays. Caveat emptor!

SECOND UPDATE: Although my fourth lamp continues to work, its performance has deteriorated. The pink/purple plasma strands are visible, but the "white lightning" strands have disappeared. I decided to give up on this turkey and have replaced it with the conical Lumisource Electra lamp with a colored neon rod in the center. This unit worked properly out of the box and appears to be made of high-quality components (good switch, thick power cord, no bulky external power supply). We'll see how it holds up...

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm Lucky, September 15, 2010
I see a lot of bad reviews for these little guys. I picked one up, as did my friend at the same time from a local store. It took a while to get going the first time - about 4 or 5 hours where the wax just looked like an egg on the bottom of the lamp, when I looked online on how I could help the situation.

From their website, it says to, using oven gloves or some hand towels as to not burn your hands, pick up the glass part of the lava lamp from the base AFTER it's been on for a few hours (still hot) and place it on a flat, even surface and gently spin it, which will let the wax settle onto the metal coil on the bottom and return it to it's base. Never shake it either, or you'll mix the water and the wax and it will get cloudy.

After I did that, an hour or two later, I had a fantastic lava lamp in my favorite color. Now it usually takes two hours to heat up and start the show. The safety slip that came with it also says that you should not run it more than eight hours which is a little disappointing when you want an always-on lava lamp.

Overall, the price, size and colors make this one of my favorite objects to stare at on my desk - as long as you don't get a dud.

5.0 out of 5 stars This One Worked!, May 15, 2010
Darv Krizton (Maui, Hawaii, USA) - See all my reviews
Much like the other reviewers, i bought this on an ebay deal when Amazon was out and i wanted it NOW. well, that one arrived not in working order and not packaged at all for mail shipment. when these came back in stock at Amazon, i thought it worth what i consider a low price for a plasma entertainment device, so i took another risk. this one, which i received in April 2010 came in the usual Amazon professional shipping packaging, works great and i am stoked! actually thinking of getting another one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, March 20, 2006
Digital Gadget (Seattle, Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this color and base for over 5 years and I love it. Once the wax warms up enough to rise, it captures your attention whenever you walk into the room. It's a lovely natural blue/green combination but bright and cheerful.

The frequent bulb replacements (about once every 2 months) are annoying but worth the effect. My only complaint is that the wax has lost weight over the years (whereas I have done the opposite) and now it floats at the top.