Published on December 15, 2010 by John Huesman

3.0 out of 5 stars A little sharp for my taste
Despite this being 100% Arabica it had a sharpness to the flavor that I'm more used to finding in blends including Robusta. There's nothing wrong with the quality, and I applaud Lavazza for introducing a Fair Trade coffee, but it just wasn't to my taste I'm afraid.
Published on May 1, 2009 by C. Pointon

5.0 out of 5 stars Like I was back in Tuscany, but also makes great American coffee, December 15, 2010
John Huesman "QPhysics" (Osgood, Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lavazza Super Crema Espresso Whole Bean Coffee, 2.2-Pound Bag (Grocery)
I want to start by addressing the people giving low ratings because the beans aren't "oily" enough. If you've ever had a real espresso, one made by a licensed barista in Italy, you'd know that espresso beans aren't oily; they're not even usually that dark. If you see black beans, you're going to get a bitter cup of coffee no matter how you make it. It is the fresh grinding process and pressurized steam that make espresso so dark and strong in the cup, not burnt beans! This coffee is used in the great majority of Italian households and restaurants; I think most of the bars use a different brand but some of the ones I frequented around Florence used Lavazza. I can tell you from first-hand experience that when you order an espresso in Italy, the barista doesn't get beans that look black...that only happens at Starbucks where they don't care about the coffee being bitter because, as these low-star reviewers prove, a lot of American coffee drinkers wouldn't know how coffee is supposed to look or taste.

These beans are the perfect color; medium to dark brown, uniformly roasted. When you grind them, the aroma fills the kitchen. (By the way detractors, that's another way to tell good coffee. If you don't get a big release of aroma when you grind the beans, it means they've been over-roasted and the oils are all gone...perhaps except for that little sheen you want to be on the surface...I'd rather have the oils still in the bean, personally.)

Just for the fun of it, I decided to test this against my favorite coffee for my drip coffee maker. I was actually quite surprised at how rich, dark, and mellow the coffee came out of a rather poor (but quick and convenient) method of making coffee. I knew this would make perfect espresso, but I honestly didn't think the American-style coffee methods would work so well too. There is even a bit of crema on top of the cup...from a drip coffee maker! To see how much foam you get from an espresso machine, check out the pictures I've posted at the top of the page.

Lavazza is now going to be the only brand of coffee in my house. This is as close as you can get to drinking a fresh cup of espresso on the streets of Florence without a plane ticket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, July 15, 2009
Lavazza offer several variations on their espresso beans. Of those that I have tried - I don't recall Pienaroma as being great; Top Class is good; Super Crema is tasty (and produces good crema) but not high on aroma; Crema E Aroma retains its aroma very well but is the most acidic of the Lavazzas; Tierra appears to be the hardest to find in the US but - in my opinion - combines the good aspects of all. So far, I've found it only on Amazon. Amazon also has the best prices on Crema E Aroma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Solid Espresso, May 11, 2009
Complex, maybe more nasal than some of the coffees I use in my Gaggia Classic. There's almost none of the Ethiopian velvety-slick feel, it's almost all European in taste, meaning the flavor tones are more coffee and less fruit and chocolate, the mouthfeel is clean and not coating/cloying. Great aroma from the crema, and great aftertaste, lasts twenty minutes or more easily.

This makes a great straight doubleshot. I don't mix this one with milk/foam, it's good enough on it's own. I never have an issue with grind, pour/pull rate, or crema production.

Not overly caffeinated, it doesn't have Robusta, causes very little 'over the temple' headache when overpulled/thin/underdosed, it's pretty temperature-insensitive.

While I do appreciate some other coffees with thicker mouthfeel and darker flavors (Klatch Belle Espresso, Black Cat), this coffee is lighter and more 'focused' in flavor than those. I find I pull shots of this LaVazza about twice as often as I pull 'boutique' shots.

Just solid coffee, and sets the bar for the standard bean I keep in my kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats Starbucks, June 10, 2009
I have a Saeco super automatic. Starbucks and Caribou beans are too oily and gum up the machine. Illy is too expensive. All of the Lavazza's work well, but this one tastes the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great crema, September 20, 2009
This is a great bean for a semi-automatic machine. We have a Jura-Capresso and adjust it to a fine grind with this bean. The beans produce an espresso with a thick crema and a smooth, almost chocolaty ending. This brand can be found at coffee shops all over Italy and Europe in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT CUP, December 4, 2010
Jaykid007 (San Diego CA) - See all my reviews
I thought I would post a quick review while the espresso is on sale. The espresso coffee is great. The bag was fresh, expired sometime in 2012. Please note that these beans are light colored and not dark. The beans are not super oily, however they have a touch of oil so you know the bean is fresh. Other reviewers noted the coffee was not fresh because it wasn't dark colored. remember, just because the coffee isn't dark, doesnt mean its not expresso or fresh. If you have tried Illy Italy brand, the bean in most cases with the red cap is also brown beans for espresso. I tried it a few ways, in my aeropress, expresso machine, and coffee maker.

Aeropress - I did two scoops of beans. A little crema on top. It was very good and nice and strong.

Coffee Maker - No crema and was a little watery. I wouldn't recommend this for regular coffee makers, but if thats all you have, its still tastes good if you want a strong expresso coffee. I would recommend the Aeropress for single cups of pressed coffee especially with espresso beans.

Espresso machine - Again, really nice flavor coffee with lots of crema on the top. Well suited for espresso.

I hope this helps. Im going to pick up another bag at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whole Bean, 2.2 Pound, August 18, 2009
I used it to make French press coffee. I rate it as excellent and better than the more expensive %100 kona coffee beans. The French press tastes exactly like the coffee served in European airports as they use the same beans. It is a matter of your palate. My son prefers the Kona beans. I am lucky in a way to like the lavazza more. Compare $19.09 for 2.2 pounds of lavazza for $29 for one pound of Kona.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Cap, November 12, 2009
I have recently tried "Lavazza Tierra! Espresso 100% Arabica " which is great but a little too mild for me. I make cappuccino, not espresso, and the SuperCrema is better for this. It does have more caffeine then the pure Arabica Tierra and is more robust, more body and much more crema. Actually, on the few occasions that I do have espresso I would lean to the Tierra as it is lighter. I use a Pasquini Livia Auto. My vote is SuperCrema for Cap and Tierra for espresso (Tierra if you just want less caffine and a lighter full flavor). So, get both. Here at Amazon the price is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very similar to Supercrema, but a little better in my opinion, January 20, 2010
I am still trying to find the perfect bean for making espresso. This is probably the closest I have come yet, at least to making espresso shots for lattes and cappuccinos. I have used the crema e aroma and the Supercrema. I like the Supercrema a lot, and this is very similar, but in my hands came out a little more smooth and a little less bitter. I grind with a LeLit Pl53 and brew on a Rancilio Silvia. My final verdict is that these shots are smooth enough to make milk-based drinks that need little-to no sweetener, as the shots (done properly) have very little or no bitterness. As far as drinking them as straight espresso, I would still like a little more body to each shot and maybe a little more complexity. However, as I am constantly refining my brew methods, it would not surprise me at all if I was still not reaching the full potential of these beans. Delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious espresso! If you have a nice machine, this is for you!, July 13, 2009
I use these beans with my LeLit pl53 grinder and Rancilio Silvia espresso machine. I am definitely an amateur barista, but with these nice beans in hand I was able to really up the quality of my shots. They just seem a little more forgiving than other beans I have tried. I get nice zebra-striping during the shot, and a fair amount of crema. However, crema is not the end-all of a shot for me, I mostly just want it to taste good! Other beans may deliver a larger amount of crema, but shots of this bean are mild and smooth without bitterness. Enjoy!

Rate and Discover Movies