Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lavender Lady
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on June 25, 2013
Is this book similar to Frederica by Georgette Heyer (a book I have read numerous time)? yes
Does this book share some similarities with Dunn's own Ginnie Come Lately? yes
Do very many Regency genre books break new ground these days without simply adding a lot of sex? no
Is this book a great read for Regency fans? YES, YES, YES!

While obviously there, the similarities to Frederica were balanced by many differences. It is an engaging book, well written with fun characters. It is probably one of my favorite Carola Dunn novels. I have alread read it a few times. (Another I really enjoy is, coincidentally, Ginnie Come Lately.) I do agree with the previous comment on the "cousin". That part annoys me and I think it could have been dealt with better, but it's a minor complaint. Read this book. The 1 star review is dead wrong.
on December 25, 2014
I love Early Recency novels and this book was well written and worth reading. Carlos Dunn did an excellent job in writing the different types of dialects according to the characters. That alone was worth reading along with a well written story.
on April 12, 2014
"Lavender Lady" is everything I require in a Regency romance, with no tiresomely graphic descriptions of clutchings, heaving bosoms, or throbbings. Best of all, the author is an Englishwoman, which meant I was spared my usual irritation with American writers failing to render British terminology and syntax correctly. All in all, a most enjoyable experience.
on May 14, 2014
I wish Ms. Dunn would stop writing dialects. Language structure and a reference to the speaker's accent is all that is needed. This is a pet peeve of mine and every time I read it, it jars me right out of the book.

As an example, when reading the Welsh doctor's lines, all I could think about was Ms. Dunn speaking the lines and writing the same way it sounded to herself. Same for the Cockney character. My British nana could talk Cockney and she never sounded like that character.

This is not the only book I have seen Ms. Dunn do this and it keeps me from enjoying her books. So ... please, I implore, stop it. Thank you.
on February 6, 2012
I started reading Carola Dunn's old Regencies because I'm a fan of her mystery books, and found I also enjoyed this genre. This is such a sweet and amusing story, I have read it several times. I like plots about more than just the hero and heroine going to balls and having misunderstandings. Really enjoyed Hester's entire family and how the hero becomes involved with them all.
on October 5, 2014
I found this book very down to earth and charming. The characters are so relatable. This book not only features the lavender lady herself, Hester, but her adorable brothers and sisters. They play a large role in the story and provide tons of adventures, as kids often do. The story is clean with not much more than a kiss, although Lord Alton did have his past mistresses. I liked the story very much and will read more of Carola Dunn.
on May 28, 2014
I am not a big romance reader, but I am a great fan of Carola Dunn's other (mystery) writing. I also own an electronic reader, so I thought I'd try a couple of her Georgian romances, which are quite inexpensive. In fact, she actually makes her heroines less wimpy and more clever and sensible than the average romantic dishrag. I still don't really like romances, but Carola's are much better than most.
on January 1, 2016
She's not Georgette Heyer (though the story reminded me a lot of Fredericka), but Carola Dunn write a solid, traditional Regency. I liked her characters, including the secondary characters. I liked the growth of the hero and his patience in winning over the heroine. I didn't enjoy the subplot with Florabel as much; it felt like padding to stretch the story into more pages, but all in all, it's a rainy Saturday, feel-good read.
on September 4, 2013
I like almost all of her books. This one was the usual Regency Romance plot, but with some additional funny stories and better character delineation than most Regencys. This heroine can cook and clean and manage a household while charming a Duke. I think of her as an ancestor of Daisy Dalrymple.
on September 24, 2014
Lavendar Lady by Carola Dunn is a great Regency! It definitely reminds me of Georgette Heyer, except I think the writing is easier to read. I love Regency and I love CLEAN Regency. I actually read several Daisy books years ago and never discovered her Regency writings until now.

The book is long, but not in a bad way at all. My WiFi isn't working properly right now and I wasn't able to use WiFi to get the book on my Kindle, and Amazon wouldn't let me use 3G on my Kindle due to the length. But I was able to get it on my Android phone. The book took me a week rather than the usual approximately 4 days for a shorter Regency.

The book shows Hester's family (her 5 siblings that she is raising), and I adored them all. I was able to love both the hero (David) and the heroine (Hester). I'm hoping Carola Dunn has written Regencies for Hester's siblings, but I haven't investigated that. Enjoy this book!!!!!!!!