Most helpful positive review
30 of 32 people found the following review helpful
You just can't beat Laverne and Shirley for light-hearted FUN!
on November 25, 2007
Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley were in many ways a sitcom "team effort". If you liked one, you probably liked the other too. I've always felt that Laverne and Shirley started out GREAT, right from the very first episode, while Happy Days had a rather lack-luster first season. It's true that the characters in Happy Days may have been more realistic and varied, but what truly drives Laverne and Shirley is the chemistry between the two actresses (Williams and Marshall) and their nitwit friends, Lenny and Squiggy (Landers and McKean)
Thankfully, we don't have to choose between the two series and can enjoy them both. But if I absolutely HAD to choose, something tells me that I wouldn't be able to resist the wacky charms of Cindy Williams and Penny Marshall. The girls really managed to create an atmosphere of TOTAL FUN, even when the plots or writing could have been a little stronger.
Here's a brief break-down of episodes, for those who might be looking for a favorite.
 - Airport '59 (9/20/1977)
The girls go on their first plane trip and end up flying the plane!
 - Tag Team Wrestling (9/27/1977)
The girls find themsleves in the ring facing two professional wrestlers.
 - The Pact (10/4/1977)
Laverne and Shirley fight over the same guy!
 - The Robot Lawsuit (10/25/1977)
A giant toy robot attacks Laverne.
 - Laverne's Arranged Marriage
Lavernes father arranges a marriage for her.
 - Cruise (part 1, 11/8/1977)
The girls work at a shoe store to earn extra money for a cruise.
 - Cruise (Part 2, 11/15/1977)
The girls get their dream vacation.
 - Laverne and Shirley Meet Fabian (11/22/1977)
The title says it all :)
 - The Stakeout (11/29/1977)
Carmine the.... counterfeiter?
 - Shirley's Operation (12/6/1977)
Shirley needs to have her appendix out!
 - Take My Plants, Please (12/13/1977)
The girls lose their jobs, and decide to sell plants door to door.
 - New Years Eve 1960 (12/27/1977)
The events that happen to the cast during the arrival of the New Year.
 - The Mortician (1/10/1978)
Laverne falls in love with a mortician.
 - The Horse Show (1/17/1978)
Shirley rescues a horse and brings it home!
 - The Slow Child (1/24/1978)
Mrs. Babish's daughter get's involved with Lenny.
 - The Second Almost Annual Shotz Talent Show (1/31/1978)
The girls try to help Mr. Shots idiot nephew in a talent show.
 - The Dentist (2/7/1978)
Laverne goes to Shirley's cousin for emergency dental work.
 - Bus Stop (2/14/1978)
The girls take a long bus ride... but get stranded.
 - The Driving Test (2/21/1978)
Squiggy must retake his driving test to keep his job.
 - The Obstacle Course (2/28/1978)
Shirley needs to pass an obstacle course to become a Police officer.
 - The Debutante Ball (5/9/1978)
The girls attend a debutante ball.
 - 2001: A Comedy Odyssey (5/16/1978)
A look at Laverne and Shirley when they're 80!
 - The Dance Studio (5/23/1978)
Carmine needs help from the girls so he can open a dance studio.
 - Breakin' Up and Makin' Up (5/30/1978)
Frank and Edna break up. The girls play match-maker.
Another great DVD release of a classic TV sitcom! But it's still a shame that episodes have been edited because of music rights.