Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Law & Order: Criminal Intent - The Fifth Year
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

88%
12%

on March 14, 2010
The format for "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" changes during its fifth season by introducing a second pair of detectives. The episodes alternate each week with the cases being solved by either series regulars Robert Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio) and Alexandra Eames (Kathryn Erbe) or by Detective Mike Logan (Chris Noth) and former FBI agent Detective Carolyn Barek (Annabella Sciorra).

The addition of Logan and Barek brings a different approach to the series as the reactionary Logan is teamed with the intelligent and low-key Barek. The differences of this team, as opposed to Goren and Eames, is not lost on how they interact with Captain James Deakins (Jamey Sheridan) and ADA Ron Carver (Courtney B. Vance).

Featured during the fifth season is the first two-part episode of the series, "In The Wee Small Hours," which involves both sets of detectives. "Star Trek" fans will be surprised to see Colm Meaney playing an egotistical judge in this episode.
on March 24, 2010
I am so excited that season five of CI is finally coming out on DVD. Unlike the other reviewers, I have to say that the addition of Barek and Logan was a great idea and the main reason I fell back in love with the show. I was more than a little saddened that Annabella Sciorra didn't stay for sixth season as I loved her character, Carolyn Barek, and very much lament the missed chances.

Still, season five produced some of my favorite episodes of the series. "In the Wee Small Hours" was very well done, as were "Scared Crazy" and "The Healer". I have to say that in terms of show mythology, everything from "To The Bone" through "The Good" was a fantastic set up for Jamey Sheridan's exit and completely set up all of season 6 and the fallout therein.

Something that has always - and will always - impressed me about Criminal Intent is that the internal character continuity is some of the most perfect on television. Character choices made in season 1 resonate and stay consistent straight through all of season 6 and beyond. Season five set the scene for everything that came after, including the deconstruction of the Goren/Eames partnership. Season five really is the last of the golden days for their partnership and friendship.

I have really been anticipating this release and can't wait to get it in my mail box!
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2010
I have long been a fan of LOCI, but only with Goren and Eames. I have tried watching the other half from Noth and Sciorra all the way up to Jeff Goldblum and partner. Although all others are very talented actors, I have been unable to enjoy them in these roles. I am totally taken by D'Onofrio and Erbe and the talent they bring to this show. I will certainly buy the 5th season, but you can bet that I only watch the ones with Goren and Eames. I am so very sorry that Mr. D'Onofrio is leaving and the heart will go out of the show. I will probably tune in to the new one but I don't think I will remain a fan. It would have been interesting to see Goren and
Eames' lives play out. Both Goren and Eames needed a minor theme of a romantic interest to brighten things up. Goodbye favorite show!!!!
88 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2011
Another great season. Possibly the strongest. Possibly.

I have to admit that alternating episodes between crews did in fact create suspense simply because the dynamic between them was so different. If you were unconvinced and unhappy sharing your favorite Law and Order with "new" characters, you were much more excited to see the D'Onofrio-Erbe episodes. Each team has distinct differences of approach. Chris Noth gets plaudits simply for playing his character for so long. His being in a different setting is hardly worthy of strong criticism.

This season rarely suffered from poor writing or redundancy as previous seasons did (albeit rarely). I can only think of one episode that outright bored me. The majority of the episodes in season five were riveting, and the two-parter ("In The Wee Small Hours") featuring both Goran-Eames and Logan-Barek is an absolute must-see of the series. Season Four has an equally potent pair-up episode like this as well ("Stress Position"). Rarely a dull moment in season five. My only advise is "don't binge." Nothing gets dull faster than when you do :)
on December 11, 2014
Personally, I love the new character of Detective Barek. She's quiet, thoughtful, speaks multiple languages, and does a mean, sexy Bronx (I think it's Bronx) accent in the mesmerizing episode "Watch". Much more interesting than the soon to follow Falacci character (who was pretty mediocre, imo). I wish it was just Goren and Eames, but I'm happy with the new choices. Definitely an excellent season.
This series began encountering difficulties when it started alternating the detectives each week. One week you get the usual Goren and Eames and the next week you get a new team. The new team is Mike Logan (Chris Noth) and Carolyn Barek (Annabella Sciorra). Noth eventually grew on me. After all, he used to be on the original L&O. However, Sciorra was terrible in this role. She was replaced by other women, who also failed, until in 2009 the show just paired Eames with Jeff Goldblum. Some tv viewers just got in the habit of watching this show only when Goren and Eames were the ones "up". Some buyers of the dvd will probably do the same.

The formula of the show remains the same. The two detectives need to solve a case which is particularly gruesome or sensitive. The focus is entirely on solving the case, not winning it in court, which makes it different from the other two L&Os. The scripts remain top notch. However, this is a show which never deviates from the L&O formula.

The earliest seasons of L&O CI are its best ones. However, this is good enough to continue viewing it.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
on September 13, 2010
My husband and I are die hard Criminal Intent lovers. We don't have cable/HD TV, so we buy it by the season when the newest one comes out. Both being hard core Goren fans, we were a little bereft when the seasons started having him in only half the episodes (with Chris Noth being in the other). However, whether it is a Goren or Logan episode, Criminal Intent is as awesome as ever. In this season there were moments where we literally gasped out loud at the plot twists! Oh joy! As usual, we tore through the whole season in no time, and are now impatiently awaiting season 6! :) We highly recommend this to fellow Criminal Intent enthusiasts.
on August 14, 2013
will never stop seeing this show. I love this show and love the way that the characters solve the puzzles and problems. The characters also have their own issues and problems and hence it does not get mundane watching it.
on May 12, 2013
Continued good stories and excellent acting. If you are a fan how can you not buy this for your collection of all the shows?
I just finished purchasing the 10th season and have them all. If you love D'onofrio and Erbe you should purchase.
on July 13, 2013
Season V of Criminal Intent is one of its best yet, with a few surprise guest stars who almost steal the spotlight in their respective episodes. First, an old enemy rises again. Then, it's the AntiChrist, and...Caligula? And holy crap, is that ugly celie from the colour purple? Yes, yes, and yes. though I personally don't like the whoopi cushion, I admit, she's a good actress. Though I'm certainly a Goren/Eames fan, the episodes with Chris Noth & Anabella Sciorra were definitely not bad. It helps that Ms. Sciorra is easy on the eyes. And the final III episodes of the season link back to an episode from one of the earlier season involving a corrupt cop named Frank Adair, so you would do well to rewatch that episode before viewing the final III episodes from Season V.