5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly organized catalog, good scholarship, March 5, 2011
This review is from: Lawrence Weiner: AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE 1960-2007 (Whitney Museum of American Art) (Hardcover)
I'll be candid - Lawrence Weiner is not my favorite nor even an artist who I like very much or admire. But I did not wish summarily dismiss his work without full realization the reason of my antipathy. His art appeared intractable, too trivial an not generative of interpretive thought. "AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE" was my earnest effort to make some sense out of his art.

This volume is extremely well organized and illustrated. The 11"x11" format lends itself nicely to present illustrations. The catalog articles are written on 8.5"x11" page format leaving ample margins for references which are occur next to the primary text making them extremely convenient to follow.

I would like to note especially the Kathryn Chiong's paper: "SYMPATHY FOR LAWRENCE WEINER (ONE PLUS ONE)". This is fine piece of art criticism not to be missed. This makes the work of Lawrence Weiner much more palatable, beautifies it and makes it relatively acceptable for me. Just mere fact that Weiner's work could motivate Ms. Chiong to produce such splendid work of art criticism shows to me Weiner's work value.

I am glad to own this catalog as an example of a publication as an art form, standing on its own and, sometimes, surpassing the work of the artist it intended to document.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Weiner, December 9, 2012
This book is exactly what I was looking for to complete a research project on Lawrence Weiner. It will also make a lovely addition to my collection of coffee table books.

$60.00 $54.00