Customer Discussions > Lawrence of Arabia forum

Lawrence of Arabia on Blu-Ray?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2008 8:00:40 AM PDT
Lee Sears says:
Does anyone know if the studio plans to re-master Lawrence of Arabia for Blu-Ray High Definition playback, soon?
We just replaced all the tv's & dvd players in our home with HD equipment...and was looking forward to purchasing LofA (as well as 2001: A Space Odyssey) on a Blu-Ray mastered discs.
I have been searching the internet for a copy of it and see it is not yet available on Blu-Ray (where "2001" is, already!).
I remember seeing this masterpiece in a 70mm Film House, when I was a teenager...and walking out of the theatre feeling that I had been hit over the head (and in the heart area of the chest) with a large mallet.
It made such an overwhelming impression on me - I've NEVER recovered from it!
Can't wait to own it on Blu-Ray...and will appreciate any insight as to when it will be made available for High-Definition viewing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008 1:53:56 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 27, 2008 4:00:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2008 12:06:39 AM PST
The new transfer will be shown on HD Net(in the USA) on tuesday 11th November 2008 and four further boadcasts in the subsequent weeks. Check out the HD Net website for Transmission dates.
There is also information on rec.arts.movies.tech about this.

Posted on Jun 9, 2009 10:11:44 AM PDT
Its very upsetting that Sony has constantly delayed this film to Blu-ray release. In fact thats the biggest problem right now with Blu-ray, lack of serious film content. No Forest Gump, Titanic, English Patient, Dances With Wolves and these are not obscure titles, these are multi-Oscar winning films that did exceptionally well in the box office. Lots of recent action films that didn't win an Oscar are out there. Paramount releases Star Trek in 4:3 while CSI Miami is no where to be found on Blu-ray. Its seems that these studios have their own idea of business sense. Its very frustrating as Blu-ray owner.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2009 12:10:28 AM PDT
Mark says:
I too, am waiting for this.

It's films like this - with their stunning cinematography - that HD is made for.

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 10:31:49 PM PDT
Ben Parker says:
Lawrence of Arabia is currently listed as "tentative" for Dec 2009 on the pretty unofficial page http://www.releaselists.com/BLURAYNorthAmerica.html; I hope this isn't extraordinarily out of date information, and that maybe it might come true, like the rumours about North by Northwest, Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz have. What a Christmas present this would be! And let it be Dec 1 not 31!

Posted on Dec 21, 2009 2:20:29 PM PST
This is yet another reason to not support Blu-Ray. I will be forever bitter about Sony winning out. It is true, they don't care about serious content. All they care about is ripping the consumer off for movies and players.

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 7:45:21 PM PST
Jay Cross says:
Wait just a minute! They can release cr@p like 'The Running Man' in Blu-Ray, but they can't seem to get it together to release one of the most treasured films in the history of cinema? I don't get it. I actually gave away my 'Special Edition' DVD of this film, because I had heard Sony was releasing it. That was 3 years ago (or more?!)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2010 1:00:15 AM PDT
El Cheapo says:
Efin stupid been waiting for this movie too!

Posted on Sep 25, 2010 7:45:54 PM PDT
please release this on blu-ray! please release this on blu-ray! please release this on blu-ray! please release this on blu-ray! please release this on blu-ray! please release this on blu-ray! please release this on blu-ray! please release this on blu-ray!

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 10:17:58 PM PDT
Sony's ORIGINAL promotional disc for Blu-Ray INCLUDED HD video clips from Lawrence of Arabia. SO... IT'S PREPOSTEROUS that it's not available!!!!! ;¬{

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 3:54:55 PM PDT
I agree, it is ridiculous that this isn't out on Blu-Ray yet. This should have been the first thing they put out in the format as it's the perfect movie for the extra resolution. I am sorely disappointed that we are still left waiting... seemingly forever.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 7:00:26 AM PST
James Miller says:
I guess they are just going to wait and do a 50-th anniversary box (like the recent Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz boxes). I imagine that will but it out this holiday or early next year. There's always HDNet movies, however. That print is gorgeous, and saved on my HDR.

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 8:04:58 PM PDT
Paul Burt says:
Here it is March 30 2011, and still no Blu-ray release. Is anyone at Sony paying attention?

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 4:23:14 PM PDT
On Blu-ray.com, they recently interviewed a guy from Sony about the restoration of Scorsese's Taxi Driver. He mentioned that Lawrence of Arabia is being worked on and the master was scanned in and created at a huge 8K resolution. He also mentioned we can expect it sometime next year.

LINK:http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6003

In my opinion, this movie will look glorious in HD. I don't mind waiting that long if the end result is worth it.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 6:06:53 PM PDT
R. MAK says:
I too have been waiting this seems like forever. Sony, hurry up! please, please, please.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 12:14:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012 12:15:13 PM PST
Lawrence of Arabia is one of the best films of all time. It is now 2012 and it still is not available in Blu-Ray? I also do not understand what the hold-up could be. I am waiting to see the beauty of this film in HD and on a 60 inch screen. Sony: time to get on the stick!!!!

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 12:47:55 PM PST
A. Smith says:
This is 50th anniversary of the film here in early 2012 and no Blu-Ray has been announced yet. Even though I own this on dvd, I would gladly shell out 30 bucks for my favorite movie ever.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 1:33:39 PM PST
J. Kelly says:
Blu-Ray is being released June 4th 2012 Yippee

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 2:04:56 PM PST
China Tom says:
June 4 is the apparent release date in the UK. No mention of a US release yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 5:00:14 AM PDT
Looks like it has been rescheduled for September 2012. Amazon France mysteriously pre-published artwork details for the collector's Blu-ray box on May 21. A couple of websites captured these shots, so you might get an idea what to look forward to.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 9:20:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2012 11:07:25 PM PDT
Jrum C. says:
On bluray.com, though no release date posted for U.S. release, the French version is given a 11/12/12 date. . . so maybe hope on horizon yet. (update: England's version has 9/10/12 release date. Both versions 'Region B')

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 1:40:01 PM PDT
Lawrence of Arabia will be officially released on November 13, 2012 in the US.

From The Digital Bits:

"Sony Pictures Home Entertainment sent me their official press release for the Lawrence of Arabia: 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray release. As expected, the 3-disc collectible box set will street on 11/13. We've posted details of the extras previously, but the studio didn't confirm them in this press release. The film will also return to theatres around the country for a limited time as a digital-only theatrical event starting on 10/4. It will also be screened for one night only on Turner Classic Movies on 11/16".

Also, if you are wondering about the quality of the release, fear not because according to Sony's press release:

"We wanted to return this film to as pristine a condition as possible to honor its anniversary release," says Grover Crisp, EVP of Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Mastering for SPE. The original camera negative was scanned at 8K and the film went through a painstaking process of repairing problems inherent to the 50-year old film elements. Using the latest digital imaging technology, the color grading and re-mastering was completed in 4K at Colorworks, Sony Pictures Entertainments' digital intermediate facility. "The original negative was seriously damaged in a number of ways, some problems dating from the original release and some accumulated over the years." says Crisp. "But, until now, we did not have the tools available to address these issues. We think fans of the film will be as amazed as we are at the detail and resolution in the imagery captured by cinematographer Freddie Young to compliment David Lean's immaculate direction."

So there you go, a spectacular release for a spectacular movie!!

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 7:07:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 7:14:00 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
http://www.davidwhittet.com/film-making-blog/files/lawrence-of-arabia-blu-ray.jpg

Sony Pictures | 1962 | 228 min | Rated PG | Nov 13, 2012 (4 Months)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lawrence-of-Arabia-Blu-ray/200/

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 10:03:49 PM PDT
Here ya go everyone!! http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/06/lawrence-of-arabia-comes-to-blu-ray-and-theaters
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Lawrence of Arabia forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Mar 31, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lawrence of Arabia (Widescreen Edition) [VHS]
Lawrence of Arabia (Widescreen Edition) [VHS] by Peter O'Toole (VHS Tape - 1998)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,367)