5.0 out of 5 stars Suggested Reading for Associate Attorneys
I handle marketing for a mid-sized firm, and I think this book is a great resource. Both editors are intimately familiar with what it takes to turn one-to-many marketing into business relationships, and give great advice toward that goal.
Published on October 30, 2006 by L. V. Hudson

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Firms Only
Published on September 5, 2006 by J. M. White

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Firms Only, September 5, 2006
J. M. White (Little Rock, AR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lawyer's Guide to Marketing Your Practice (Paperback)
I've been devouring legal marketing books as I prepare to open a two-person practice. I skimmed through this book and found it to be distinctly unhelpful. You wouldn't know it from the book's self-description, but it is primarily aimed at marketing large law firms (100+ lawyers) with huge marketing budgets. If you are a small firm or solo practitioner, look elsewhere. Even in terms of its big-firm focus, the book is far too broad and generic to provide much useful advice and guidance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for "lawyers" but law FIRMS, December 30, 2010
This review is from: The Lawyer's Guide to Marketing Your Practice (Paperback)
This book has a much more specific audience in mind than its title suggests: established, large law firms who are having trouble developing a forward-thinking marketing plan. Much of the early part of the book discusses how to sell the very IDEA of marketing to a firm's leadership. From there, the specific examples almost universally assume a sizable marketing budget and a lot of available human-hours to devote to marketing. If you are looking for a book to tell you step-by-step how to market your solo or small practice, this is not it.

That said, the book does spend a fair amount of time teaching basic marketing principles from a lawyer's point of view. In this sense I have found it useful for developing a marketing plan for the three-lawyer practice I am joining. The book has been useful as an overview of what to do and not to do, although I've had to develop the specific ideas on my own.

I found a used copy on here for $17. I would say that was a worthy investment. But I would not pay full price for the book unless I was a partner at a large firm who had just gotten "stuck" with the title of Marketing Director.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suggested Reading for Associate Attorneys, October 30, 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy if starting your own firm!, November 19, 2009
This review is from: The Lawyer's Guide to Marketing Your Practice (Paperback)
I recently opened a law firm and this book has been a great help in beginning the marketing of our practice. The old adage that you don't learn how to be a lawyer in law school is definitely true, and they most certainly don't teach you anything about advertising or marketing your practice. This book is filled with practical and useful information that you can use to begin to build you client base as a new firm. In today's economic climate, where more and more attorneys are opening their own firm right out of law school, this book is more helpful than ever. This book is a must buy. It sits with Foonberg's book and always within reach.

The Lawyer's Guide to Marketing Your Practice
The Lawyer's Guide to Marketing Your Practice by James A Durham (Paperback - September 25, 2003)
Used & New from: $18.44