Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on May 4, 2009
As someone who is always fighting the feeling that 'the world is ending and i can't do anything about it' I found great comfort in knowing a book like this is out there. It is not preachy and does not outline gloom and doom. Instead the author trusts that a) you know that there is a problem b) you want to do something about it and c) you can't afford/don't want to live in tent, by a river, in the middle of no where.

I found 10 things in it I could incorporate into my life immediately and another 10 that I will be able to add without my difficulty. All while either saving money or adding a few pennies onto a few select items...but at the same time getting the satisfaction that finally I was making a positive difference.
on March 24, 2009
I am often asked about my green philosophy. I know why it vexes some people when they see a vast dichotomy between a stance and actions. I distrust most of the green movement, thinking much of the science is bunk and many of the proponents looking to cash in on a panic that they are creating. That said, I am an avid recycler at home, always looking to save energy, money and reduce waste. I often argue that these actions should be the backbone of conservatism.
In my search for easy and cheap ways to reduce litter and clean up my micro-sphere, I am greatly helped by The Lazy Environmentalist aka Josh Dorfman. Not only is he a blogger, but through his lectures and books he is spreading the word of easy and effective solutions for people at home. To that end he has now released a new book, The Lazy Environmentalist on a Budget. This book is truly helpful, always looking for the easy and cheap but effective way to make your life greener.
Unlike many environmentalists, Dorfman is no scold. He embraces companies like Clorox who are introducing green alternatives to the long running lines of home cleaning supplies. The book also gives you the best alternative, followed by sound alternates that cost less, embracing the notion that every little bit helps. I cannot stress how important his attitude is in changing minds. We all know that close-minded zealots turn people off; while Josh excites people with his down to Earth approach. If others copied his attitude, what a different world this would be.
As a prospective parent, I am mighty glad for the chapter dealing with baby stuff. We all want to start out on the right foot, not wasting money on items that the child will out grow so soon and then have a ton of waste. I am thankful for the list of alternative stores and products. The same for less toxic cleaners that are every bit as effective as their poisonous cousins, no parent wants toxins when a harmless alternative that costs comparable or less is available.
This is the second book on this subject by Mr. Dorfman. The first book was great, but many of the solutions and products were quite expensive. This book seeks to offer a more budget conscience approach for those that want to make their lives greener. The Lazy Environmentalist on a Budget is a great place for those people to start their green journey.
on March 18, 2014
I really like this book. I have read probably at least 8 green books, this one is on top of my list. It had some really good links, like products that I have never heard before. I like the way he wrote it too, more informal.
on September 11, 2013
This isn't a book about saving the environment on a budget - it's 220 pages of advertisements for products to purchase. Each chapter ends with a list of companies and a blurb containing their web address, along with a brief list of what they offer and some pricing. In some cases the list of companies/products at the end of the chapter is longer than the chapter itself.

I am curious how much the companies listed paid the author to be included?

An entire chapter devoted to nontoxic cleaning supplies is a list of commercial products I can purchase. While the author raves about the company that pays him to be a spokesman, he did include a brief mention about mixing water and vinegar to make a cleaner. "Green Gear for the Small Set", a chapter on children, is filled with such useful information as where to buy a $350 crib mattresses or $26 onesies, and the oh so useful web site for a company that sells yoga gear for children, including a $28 PVC free healthy yoga mat and $15 DVD.
on May 4, 2009
Being a long-time fan of recycling, a friend of the BWCA, nuts about The Natural House book and Feng Shui and Yoga, this book "fits" in an easy-to-read sort of way, uniting the best from all of my passions. I like how he illustrates how someone who lives in the city can use the gray water to save, or small installations of lower-flow faucets helps. These are not brain surgery, nor are they solar panels on my car. I call it the Cliff Notes version for how to be a good global citizen.
on April 4, 2009
I purchased Dorfman's first book as a new homeowner, dad and husband looking to do my part. Dorfman helped me understand that Enviro-Friendly didn't have to mean patchouli and Birks or hyper-vigilance and righteousness.

Now, I'm finding it challenging to make ends meet. I'm excited to see this book lay out that easy, stylish, green living doesn't have to mean taking out a HELOC for that new bamboo flooring. There are other choices that are stylish and hip that fit my new budget.
on December 5, 2012
Do you want to save the planet, but just lazy? This is a great guide! I don't like the lazy part in the title, but it definitely gives great tips and lots of resources. I love the structure of the book. Though, I think it needs an update because some information is no longer relevant (the economy isn't as good, like the book states) and some links no longer exist.
on July 29, 2009
I'm not necessarily a lazy environmentalist, but certainly appreciate any advice that saves me time and money! The Lazy Environmentalist delivers all the title promises-- it's chock full of ways to save the planet while saving money, time, and effort.

Topics include information on where to find bargains and rebates on eco-friendly products to choosing services and innovations that will truly produce results.

After reading, our family has been able to implement a number of changes and we'll continue to do so with the aid of The Lazy Environmentalist. It's now taken up permanent residence on my desk and is already getting dog-eared from constant reference.

Overall impression: Highly recommended- everyone NEEDS a copy of this guide... even the non-lazy among us!
on April 12, 2009
I was particularly excited for this book as I always want to do what I can for the environment but, being a graduate student with very limited income, felt constrained by the cost of a lot of the recommendations for ways to go green. This book delivers exactly what it promises - a lot of practical, easy, low-cost (even cost-SAVING) ways to alter your lifestyle and soften your footprint on our world. There are great resources here, and I love that this helps to make a green lifestyle more accessible to everyone.
on May 18, 2009
Josh Dorfman has once again written a very practical and easy to read book with pertinent information that people from all levels of income can use to help them help make this world a little greener without substantially affecting their wallet or quality of life. I think that so many people would have no idea how easy it can be to diminish their carbon footprint if it were not for Mr. Dorfman. Keep up the work and I look forward to the new show coming out next month on The Sundance Channel. I am sure it will be just as informative.