Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 3-1/2-Quart Oval Wide French Oven, Cassis
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 24, 2011
This Oval Wide French Oven should be had in every gourmet's kitchen. Although Le Creuset often costs more than other top quality brands, they are a steal during promotions! I also own the 5 1/2 quart round shaped french oven, 1 1/4 quart precision pour saucepan, and 2 quart round french oven. However, I found that this Oval Wide French Oven and the 5 1/2 quart round french oven to be the most useful - because I use my Le Creuset often when cooking from my gas top into the oven and vice versa. Can't beat Le Cresuset for braising, stewing, and oven cooking! Perfect for roasting an organic free range chicken too. So if you are on a budget, pick your shapes wisely, and I highly recommend this one! - Also the colour!
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2011
Le Creuset, though heavy, is very much worth the price. It is so beautiful, so easy to clean, it goes from stove to oven to tabletop. The enamel doesn't chip. It heats evenly and beautifully. What more can I say? I love it!
on January 21, 2012
Am I missing something? The rave reviews are about cooking whole chickens or making pots of soup or stew. HOW?? I must have super chickens here because I tried to put a chicken in it and it didn't fit. The lid doesn't go on if the chicken is in there, it's just too big. There is absolutely no room for liquids or anything else. I don't see how it would cook. It's only 3.5lbs so not a huge chicken. I suppose if if it was a cut up chicken this would work. As for stew or soup, maybe if you are cooking for 2 people? This is the size of a casserole dish, it's a little deeper and a little wider so I guess more like an oversize casserole dish. It's a beautiful color, even more beautiful in person. I just don't think this size is useful for much and I'm sadly disappointed. I bought it because the reviews made it sound bigger/more versatile and you can't beat the price. It's just not going to work for my needs and if I'm buying le creuset I want to use it for more than one or two dishes. I have plenty of casserole pans already. I suggest the standard oven instead of the wide. On the le creuset site (should have looked it up there first) it's listed as a useful pan for cooking risotto because of the width of the pan and it will get closer to the flame for maximum evaporation. I'm considering returning it for a dutch oven. I'm editing this review to list my pan dimensions because they do not match the product info listed. My pan is 10.5x 8 x 3.5 and the box says "casserole, oval pan". It holds 12 cups of fluid. I checked two other websites and they list it at 3.5 inches tall without the lid. The weight is off on all the pages, each color has a different dimension, yet they are the same pan. I'm upgrading the pan by one star, it's great for rice so far and it appears my problem is the listed dimensions, not the pan. I still don't understand how a whole chicken fits but I do think I can find some use for this pan. If I was only going to buy one le creuset piece, I would go larger though if that helps anyone.
66 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2011
My second Le Creuset item, the other being their oblong grill pan which was my spring and summer go to pan, this French oven is quickly becoming my favorite fall cooking vessel and not just because I love the cassis color.

Going from stove top to oven means one less pan to clean, a 4 pound whole chicken fits perfectly with room to spare for some veggies, and clean up is a breeze. I'm glad I upgraded to the stainless steel knob just in case I find a recipe that calls for a higher oven temperature.

To date I've only used it to cook whole and chicken pieces but before week's end I'll be trying a recipe for London Broil.

Yes, the pieces are heavy, and they can be pricey; but I was lucky enough to find this oven on sale through Amazon.
on November 24, 2012
I have a few Le Creuset pieces but this is my favorite for everyday cooking for two. I make rice, meats, veggies. It can be used in the small countertop oven as well as the regular one. I bought the stainless-steel knob and that is the only issue I have with Le Creuset
on January 12, 2012
If you love to cook this pot is a must have. You can use it to cook anything - soup, sauce, braise - it goes from stovetop to oven no problem and if you take good care of it it will last forever.
on September 14, 2011
I used this the first day i bought it. Easy to clean. Beautiful color and design. Cooks evenly on gas stove top and in oven! Love it! Love it!
on January 8, 2013
This was a gift for my wife for Christmas. I know, you're not supposed to give "housewares" for gifts, but she specifically asked for it. We have two other Le Creuset pieces and the French/Dutch Oven has been on her list for a long time. Great quality, as usual. We had Christmas dinner in it!
on July 27, 2012
This is a perfect size for everyday use by a small family. And of course it's Le Creuset. It cooks evenly and cleanup is easy. The trick is to get the heat right. Lower heat is usually all you need.
on December 18, 2012
Just received it and haven't tried it yet, but am most anxious.
I have the 5.5 qt in this color and it's great