4.0 out of 5 stars PETITE? Yes.
Published on November 11, 2009 by MamaS

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute as a button, but....
Cute little Le Creuset piece, but tiny! Product info listed length at 6 1/4 inches, width at 4 inches. But those are the measurements at the top of the flared-out sides. Actual measurements at the base -- 4 3/4 inches long, 3 inches wide. So the usable space is less much than I expected.
Published 12 months ago by Margaret Gentry

4.0 out of 5 stars PETITE? Yes., November 11, 2009
We purchased 2 of these, yes they are tiny as petite indicates and we still bought them knowing they would be small and we are happy with them. What I am not happy about is the information under Product Details section: product dimensions says: 6.8 x 4.2 x 1.2 and the product weight says an amazing 7 pounds! Obviously this info is not correct but I am here to give the real info:
They are 6.25" (6 1/4") long including the littles handles, they are a scant 4" at the middle of dish only and they are a whopping (just joking) 0.75 (yes 3/4") deep or should I say shallow.
They do not weigh 7 lbs but they do weigh approx 8 ounces. The tail end of the description does accurately state these as being 6 oz capacity. So 4 stars instead of 5 is because of faulty/inaccurate dimensions and weight info in the product description; misleading really.

These are perfect to hold herb infused olive oil for dipping bread, making single serve creme brule, and it is possible to make very small portions of individual potatoes au gratin if you dice the potatoes really tiny and do not add too much cream because it will boil over the shallow sides.

They are what they are so do not expect big things out of a really petite au gratin dish but there is no arguing that these in Cherry Red are gorgeous little baubles for your kitchen and the 4 for 3 promo is outstanding for quality stoneware like Le Creuset which are thick and durable and can go in the oven and microwave. These are really small so you may have to first place them on a baking sheet before placing in oven as they may sit crooked if your oven rack has widely spaced lines like mine.

I do recommend them for beauty and limited function, if you do not mind that and have a few extra dollars but they are not necessary by any means but they are extremely cute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking for two? Perfect PETITE gratin dishes..., May 31, 2010
... purchased two dishes after reading the recommendation in "America's Test Kitchen, Cooking for Two - 2010". My first use was for "Berry Gratin", a recipe for berries with a Zabaglione custard needing to be browned under a broiler. These petite gratins are perfect for small portions needing a wide surface for browning under a broiler.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect size!, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Le Creuset Heritage Stoneware Petite Oval Au Gratin Dish, Cherry (Kitchen)
This is the perfect size for individual servings of anything. Great for dessert custard,single entree or side portions and the kids love their own serving dish.Goes right into the oven from the fridge and cleans easily by hand or in the dishwasher. Terrific gift for Valentines Day!

5.0 out of 5 stars These are Great, July 29, 2008
I finally have a set of 4. They're a great little add-on to your order. I added one to each order until my set was complete. At $10 it's hardly noticeable. So far, I've only baked cornbread in them (individual size of course) and I've used them for petite banana splits.

5.0 out of 5 stars small but nice, March 22, 2011
These are really small! I bought one due to the 4-for-3 promotion so it was free as far as I am concerned. I have used it once so far to make my girlfriend a small appetizer of macaroni and cheese. It came out really nice and was amazingly easy to clean easy despite the encrusted cheese off of one of the sides. It is beautiful looking and my g/f finds it amazingly cute. So I highly recommend buying this if you like really small sides for one person. I am not sure exactly how many ounces this actually fits but I believe it is about 6 oz. I think the best use may be for small experimental baked goods done in a toaster oven (I couldn't imagine heating up an oven for less than at least 6 of these).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Le Creuset, July 10, 2010
My family likes the idea of having the individual serving dishes. From oven, microwave right to the table is also a plus! The colors are fun, everyone seems to migrate to a color and chooses the same one every time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute as a button, but...., January 1, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Petite but Perfect, October 7, 2010
These little dishes are wonderful! They're the perfect size for many types of individual portions. And the kitties have their own set, perfect for the canned food, keeps them from tossing it out of the dish and the glazing makes them wash clean - the cats' dishes or ours (different colors!)- in a snap! A bit pricey, but with the Amazon 4 for 3, no regrets!

5.0 out of 5 stars The size of my hand but great, August 1, 2013
Kayla (Columbus, NE USA) - See all my reviews
The color is beautiful it arrives promptly and in great condition. Do not fool yourself into thinking its larger than it is like I did though, because it is exactly the same size as my hand from one handle to the other and the base is about the size of my palm. I have average woman sized hands. I personally love it and will be buying at least enough of these to serve everyone there own small serving if not one extra for kitchen decoration its perfect decorative shelf size.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Small, April 4, 2014
It was smaller than expected and I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for. ??? ??? ??? ???