5.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't have had to pay for this.
Published on May 19, 2009 by ManhattanMatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Size Matters
Leave it to the French to have too long a screw. The screws for the original knob and the replacement stainless steel knob were identical so I had to make a trip to the hardware store. I picked up 10 shorter screws that worked perfectly. The knob is handsome and functional for the 7 1/4 Qt. Lid.

Le Creuset should hire 'Madge" for quality control as the screw...
Published on April 22, 2009 by Art

5.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't have had to pay for this., May 19, 2009
This review is from: Le Creuset L9403-45 Stainless-Steel 2-Inch Replacement Knob (Kitchen)
I bought my new Le Creuset Dutch Oven (ok, they call it a "French" oven, but whatever) a couple months ago for two reasons: I needed a Dutch oven anyway, and I knew that cast iron would be the best way to go. Plus, I was eager to try out a new simple bread recipe that everyone was talking about in the New York Times: The Bittman no-knead bread. It called for the loaf to be baked in a cast-iron Dutch oven at a very high temperature (450 degrees).

So I plunked down the $230 (a seemingly insane amount of money for a pot, but I figured I was buying quality, and that it would last a lifetime), and when it arrived I started the bread recipe.

But wait. The instruction manual -- while saying that the pot is heat-rated for temperatures in excess of 500 degrees -- stated the maximum temperature for the pot's black phenolic lid knob was only 375 degrees. (I later found out that "phenolic" is just a classy name for PLASTIC.) So -- how were all these people baking their Bittman bread with their Le Creuset pots? I Googled "Bittman + Le Creuset" and found a litany of horror stories about pot knobs melting and even exploding in the oven because people didn't read the fine print in the owner's manual. Of course, my Google search also brought me to THIS page, where I found this stainless steel replacement knob.

The knob itself is perfect. It looks even better than the original plastic (excuse me -- PHENOLIC) knob. And it's nice that Le Creuset put its logo on top. What's not nice is that the hardware it comes with doesn't work -- the screw is too long, and the knob didn't tighten properly. No worries ... I just used the original screw from the plastic (excuse me again -- PHENOLIC) knob. Success!

I have three main gripes with Le Creuset, however. First of all, a pot retailing for over $300 shouldn't have anything made of plastic on it, period. Second, putting a knob that's only heat-rated for 375 degrees on a pot that's heat-rated for over 500 degrees is like putting cheap all-season tires that are speed-rated for 80 miles per hour on a Ferrari. Third -- Le Creuset should have provided me this replacement knob -- and everyone else who dropped hundreds of dollars on their pot -- for FREE.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works with Lodge!!!, September 1, 2009
Boston Bean (Dorchester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I've been looking for a replacement knob for my Lodge 6 quart blue enamel covered dutch oven. I wanted to be able to use the pan in the oven to make the famous bread recipe, but the knob that came with my Lodge pan isn't oven safe. I was having no luck, till I accidentally came across this stainless steel Le Creuset 2 inch replacement knob. It was cheap enough, so I decided to take a chance. It FITS, and it fits PERFECTLY....right size knob, right size screw, and right size screw length. If you've been looking for a replacement knob for your Lodge cast iron enameled pot, then GO FOR IT!!! I am one very happy home cook.

3.0 out of 5 stars Size Matters, April 22, 2009
Art (Kingston, WA) - See all my reviews

Le Creuset should hire 'Madge" for quality control as the screw included in the package was at least 1/4" too long. And no one likes floppy knobs.

3 Stars for the oversight and wasted gas. A shorter screw would have pushed it to a 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars No need to buy this, January 14, 2010
Ross (San Diego) - See all my reviews
Call Le Creuset customer service and they will send you a replacement knob free of charge. If you break the oven itself, they will let you buy a new one at a 75% discount after sending the broken one to them. If the breakage is determined to be caused by manufacturer defect, they will replace the oven free of charge.
If you prefer the stainless knob, you can buy that, but be aware that it won't be cool to the touch like the phenolic one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Short screw., November 12, 2009
A very well-made product, though pricey. Supplied mounting screw is too short for my Tramontina Dutch oven. Buy a #10-32x3/4" machine screw.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great if you use high temps in cooking - like "no knead bread", September 14, 2008
My husband and I wanted to try the "no knead bread" recipe that so many people have raved about over the last few years but didn't want to risk ruining the black handle on our great LeCreuset pots. I found a store in New York City that sold these knobs (but even 18 months ago, they were more expensive than this new Amazon offer) so I bought some from them. Great product! At first, we saved the black knobs, thinking we might switch back, but we left these on our Le Creuset products - they're great!

PS Google "no knead bread" - or go to the New York Times webpage and look up the article, recipe, and video by Mark Bittman - it really is as easy (and delicious!) as they say it is!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knob but the screw is too long, April 13, 2009
I, too, purchased this knob so that I could use my Le Creuset pot in a very hot oven. According to what Le Creuset prints in their product care instructions, the black phenolic knob that comes on the lid by default is only rated to 375°F (190°C), but this stainless steel knob is safe to temperatures exceeding 500°F (260°C).

This knob arrived in a blister pack with a screw, but to my surprise, the screw was too long! When I went to attach the knob onto the lid of my 7.25-quart round dutch oven, I twisted the screw into the steel knob as far as it would go, but the head of the screw still didn't tighten on the lid. This left the knob quite wobbly. I don't know if there is something funny about that particular steel knob (e.g., the screw hole wasn't drilled deep enough), about my pot (e.g., the lid is thinner than it should be), or about that particular screw.

In the end, the screw that had attached the old phenolic knob was a bit shorter and worked perfectly, so I just used that one instead, rather than bothering to complain, return, or exchange. "All's well that ends well," as they say, but considering that Le Creuset is high-end cookware - and the price reflects it! - I expect their accessories to be of the same high quality. The screw should have been a perfect fit... and if it had been, I wouldn't have hesitated to give 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement knob works perfectly, November 30, 2008
We actually bought this knob for a lodge dutch oven so we could use it in the oven at over 450 degrees (to make no-knead bread with the Cooks' Illustrated Recipe). It has worked great for us and would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement, May 27, 2009
I bought this knob to use with my Lodge enameled cast iron dutch oven. They were both purchased at the same time. It is able to take a little more heat than the Lodge knob. I don't know if I will ever need the additional temperature rating but it's there if I do. I liked the stainless steel screw as it does extend through the lid to the inside. It was a perfect fit for the Lodge dutch oven. Now I have a dutch oven that is basically equal to the Le Creuset dutch oven for less than one fourth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars So it's not just me!, April 23, 2009
So mine's not the only one where the screw was too long for the new knob? When I tried to attach the new ss knob I was puzzled that it wouldn't screw in tightly. I tried the old screw that held on the old phenolic knob and that was too long as well. The knob is "wobbly" as someone else said. I'll have to send my husband out to the hardware store tomorrow to find a shorter screw. Why didn't I think of that myself. This is truly an annoying oversight for such a high end product. Hence the 3-star review. I, too, was looking forward to using my my Le Creuset oven to make no-knead bread.

Rate and Discover Movies