on April 29, 2010
I love my Le Creuset stainless steel teakettle. It is well made. Definetly worth the
money. It boils the water really fast & whistles at me to let me know when the water
is boiling. The whistle is not annoying or ear busting, it's just right to alert you
when the water boils. The handle locks in place for easy, safe pouring. Great product!
on September 13, 2012
I've recently bought a lovely le cruset kettle and I think ONCE I've managed to get it to pour without boiling water dribbling out all over my kitchen top. Maybe it's just my common background, that I've not been brought up to pour correctly but I really don't think I should have to spend time, effort and attention trying not to get spillage from a kettle.
This product is design flawed, but my partner does say its creating a good 'mess clearing' habit. That's humour that frankly, I could do without.
on September 10, 2012
This review is for the 1.7Qt STAINLESS STEEL version of the kettle only.

Summary: Good enough kettle, and good looking. Overall I'm happy with it after about aweek of continuous use.

PROS:
- boils about three pints of water quickly
- handle remains cool
- build quality, materials fit and finish are all good. The filler-cap lid is particularly satisfying, being heavy and a snug but not tight fit.
- heavy bottom distributes heat and helps maintain water temp after it's taken off the stovetop
- the highly-polished, nickle-coloured stainless steel finish is beautiful
- traditional kettle shape - tried and true

CONS:
- if you over fill the kettle even a little bit, it won't whistle when the water boils. Minus one star.
- Instead, it will sputter boiling water out through the whistle soaking whatever is nearby. This is kind of a big one in my book - not just because of the clean up, but because it risks scalding someone. Minus another star.
- a small one is that because of the kettle's very traditional design, the handle is quite high above the filling cap of the kettle. As a result, the user requires a bit more wrist action to pour from this kettle than from the more ergonomic/ modern designs such as the Oxo or Kitchen Aid kettle. This is not a biggie to me, but it might be important to some people.

OVERALL: I will accomodate myself to the kettle's water capacity, and hope to enjoy it (safely) for many years.
on January 9, 2014
I got this when my electric kettle died and I wanted a pretty, stove-top model with a whistle. Thinking it was high quality, I went for this one. My husband gave me grief because it was not cheap, and I feel like an idiot because it's actually horrible. Ok, so it can boil water...I'll give it one star for that. But if you boil more than two cups of water just until the whistle and then go to pour it, water will come spewing out...everywhere. I read this in previous reviews before buying and decided to get the kettle anyway. I thought to myself, "what kind of moron doesn't know how to pour water?!" Clearly I'm the dummy, as no matter how I try to pour this it always makes a huge mess - even if I start with a slow, steady stream. This product is actually dangerous. I'm surprised they haven't pulled it off the market, as it's a total burn hazard, and pets or kids standing below as you pour could get seriously injured. I've had it sputter on my hand before and it's not fun.

This is the devil reincarnated into a kettle. I have heard that their colored ones are better, but after this experience I definitely won't risk it. What a waste of money. Womp womp.
on November 20, 2011
I've had two of these now. The first was enamel coated steel. It worked quite well and had a nice flat bottom, which is important to me because I have an electric smooth top range. As with all enamel on steel tea kettles, it rusted after about three years of use and had to be replaced.

I decided to try a stainless steel one since then it wouldn't rust. I first tried an Oxo to try to save money, but it didn't work well at all (bottom wasn't flat). Since I had previously been happy with a Le Creuset I tried it in Stainless. It's better than the Oxo, but also suffers from a bottom that is not truly flat. It does eventually heat, but because the bottom doesn't make good contact with the burner it takes a really long time. Much longer than the previous enamel on steel Le Creuset did.

If you have an electric smooth top, keep looking.
on March 27, 2013
I love this STAINLESS tea kettle. Many of the negative reviews are for the ENAMEL ON STEEL tea kettle and not relevant to this product. Pay attention reviewers. I've had this kettle for well over a year and use it almost daily. I see no signs of rust or discoloration and the finish still looks as good as new. I'm happy with how quickly it brings water to a boil and I can tolerate the ear splitting volume of the whistle. It really is amazingly loud. I like the weight and design. My old Revere kettle continually burned my hand because the handle was too near the spout and escaping steam naturally traveled upwards right over your knuckles as you poured. This kettle has a much better design. I also really like the look. It is a perfect blend of high end cool and old European tradition. Really happy with this purchase.
on November 16, 2011
Ordered from Amazon.com as (remarkably) Le Creuset don't offer a stainless kettle in the European (we're UK) market.

Arrived very quickly (hats off to Amazon Exports).

Openend box with great anticipation... only to be flaberghasted.

Build quality is pretty poor. The base isn't flat, has a distinct ding (outward; so a manufacturing error) in it and there are all sorts of deep metal score marks beneath the finish. OK, they're on the base so we could live with them, however the bigger problem is that THIS KETTLE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH INDUCTION HOBS.

Nowhere on the listing is this fact mentioned. All the Le Creaset kettles available in the UK are induction compatible, so I'm a little surprised by this, but considering the convex state of the kettle base, it wouldn't work anyway!

Overall;
Impressed by Amazon's delivery and packaging despite shipping it across the atlantic.
DISAPPOINTED that a key compatibility factor is not mentioned within the listing
DISGUSTED by the build quality.
on June 14, 2010
I bought this kettle because I have several le creuset pans, but its pretty awful - the whistle has broken off and the top keeps coming unscrewed. Also, the lid fills up with water vapor.
on January 27, 2013
- - - 1) Stainless-Steel vs. Enamel-on-Steel: Amazon has reviews of the Le Creuset Stainless-Steel Whistling Teakettle mixed in with the reviews of the Le Creuset Enamel-on-Steel Whistling Teakettle because they are the same style. However Amazon now also has a separate review area just for the Stainless-Steel model reviews. That's good because many of the reviewers here complain about rust on their Enamel-on-Steel teapots, which would not be a problem if they had bought the stainless steel. Good quality solid stainless steel will NEVER rust. The Enamel on Steel will start to rust as soon as the enamel wears, chips, or flakes off. For that reason, many enamel teapot makers instruct owners to dump out the water when not using the pot. Who wants to bother with or worry about that? Yes the different colors of the enamel may look nice at first, but if you have a choice, why buy something that is going to rust sooner or later? Even if you don't get this teapot, get a Stainless-Steel teapot.
- - - 2) Looks: This Le Creuset teapot has a nice classic shape and their stainless steel finish looked BEAUTIFUL, like chrome (it was so shiny) when we took it out of the box. BUT: Right after taking it out of the box I leaned it on its side on a Formica counter to get the sticker off the bottom, and was very surprised that that action had marred a small spot of the finish on the side of the teapot where it was in contact with the Formica. Advice: put it on a soft towel when scraping the sticker off the bottom. Be careful to only use a soft sponge or cloth when washing the outside. If you do that you shouldn't have a problem.
- - - 3) Whistle: It has a nice whistle on the spout lid, but the spout lid will stay open if you don't close it. If you accidentally leave it open, it will not whistle when the water boils, and that means that someday you might get distracted, forget about the teapot, accidentally boil all of the water out, and burn, perhaps destroy, the pot. That is my biggest complaint.
- - - 4) Spitting: When BOILING water is poured, it spits or sprays boiling water out of the spout. It has spit boiling water onto our stove, lower cabinets, & floor. This is my wife's biggest complaint, and it could be a safety hazard. The spitting can be contained by tilting your cup and putting the teapot spout into the cup, but you have to get in the habit of doing that (and if you have guests pouring hot water, they won't know that). My older teapot never had that problem.
- - - 5) Base: The teapot has a fairly wide 7.25" (18.5 cm) bottom which (depending on your burner) helps with pretty quick & efficient heat transfer. However, the bottom of the stainless steel teapot is 5/16" (8mm) thick, probably to make it "induction stove compatible". I suspect that extra thickness contributes to the spitting problem by retaining the heat and keeping the water boiling for several seconds after you lift it from the burner. The weight of the thicker bottom also makes it harder to judge how much water is in the pot by just picking it up. Fortunately the pot's big lid fits perfectly and is easy to remove for a look inside (or for cleaning).
- - - Bottom Line: If the spout closed automatically and if it didn't spit, I'd want to give this teapot 4.5 stars.
on February 28, 2013
Pros - Good design. The handle is high and pivots so you can fill the top with water without it getting in the way. The lid fits tight. It looks great. The balance is good. It's small and lightweight. The handle does not get too hot. It cleans very easy.

Cons - Rusts from normal use. Even without chipping the enamel it will rust from underneath then the enamel will flake off. The whistle does not blow loud enough to hear it if you are outside your kitchen. The whistle will fall out eventually and it will never stay back in if you put it back without falling out soon after.

I've owned mine for around 6 years or more. I used it about once a week until the past few months when I started to use it every day for boiling water for coffee. I did not even know it was rusty until I soaked the inside with vinegar and water overnight to clean out the hard water deposits that had collected on the inside for 6 years.

I would not buy this tea kettle again. If there is an all stainless steel version of this it would easily deserve 5 stars (assuming the whistle was not a separate piece that could fall out and was a little louder). It would be as close to the perfect tea kettle as you can get then. Unfortunately the rust make this not worth the price.

See 1 answered question