Le Creuset Square Skillet Grill Pan
Color: FlameSize: 10.25 inchChange
Price:$159.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 25, 2002
Wow, I love this pan! I also live in an apartment, so this is a great substitute for outdoor grilling when you want a quick dinner. It's not as good as the outdoor charcoal grill, but this has some advantages. It's super easy. I use this pan several times a week. I pre-heat the pan, brush a little canola oil to the ribs, and while it warms up to the right temperature, I prepare the food. I cut some veggies (can use zucchini, squash, small eggplant, onions, bell pepper, etc), on the bias, so there's more surface area, toss with olive oil, salt & pepper, and grill. You may have to do several rounds of it if you have lots of veggies. After cooking until just tender, toss with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil. DELICIOUS!! Also, we've been grilling some great local wild salmon on this pan. It is unbelievable. It is very quick, so don't overcook. Season with salt and pepper, and anything you like. Just practice a couple times, experiment with the temperature and your technique, and you'll see how easy and tasty it is. If you can get some homegrown or organic produce, it's so much more tasty. Simple grilling complements good ingredients.
on January 8, 2002
The only reason why this doesn't get the last star, in my book, is because of its somewhat limited usefulness. However, if you live in an apartment or otherwise anywhere where grilling is impossible, this is the next best thing....like all other Le Creuset products this heats evenly and wonderfully and takes abuse. I got mine as part of a 6-piece set (along with a Dutch Oven, Baking Pan, and Casserole) and sorta at first saw this as a "filler" piece. However, to it's credit, this pan can do even easilly-burned items like tofu dogs and fake bacon WONDERFULLY, which shocked me--I was convinced that nothing could give a "grilled" effect to those items. I even got adventerous the first time I used it and grilled some apple rings. I panicked when some sugar seemed to be burnt on for good despite a good soaking, but after the pot had been dried and put away for 48 hours it flaked right off. Forget what you know about nonstick surfaces, btw, and banish those bad memories of cruddy, flaking Teflon from the 70's. Just treat this well (I only use wooden utensils on it) and it will treat you well. Follow the instructions and enjoy! Just be sure to use a potholder and realize that once this thing gets hot it STAYS hot for a LONG time.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2008
I live in the city, and don't have access to a grill. This pan makes perfect steakhouse grill lines on your pan. Just heat it really, really hot -- to the point of smoking -- on your stove first. Then turn on your broiler to High. Throw on a steak and shove it under the broiler. Two minutes later, rotate the steak 45 degrees. Flip steak and repeat. Professional gourmet steakhouse steak- I swear.

But this pan will get oil splatters on it that will turn black under high heat circumstances. Are you going to spend 3 hours scrubbing every nook and cranny with baking soda and a scotch brite? No! I won't either. So I live with the black oil stains, and take them as badges of honor for all of the previous delicious meals past.

However, I'm slightly OCD - and the black spots do bug me. I recommend this pan highly, just get the black color. You won't see any stains, and you'll just love this thing.

For panini fans: Get the panini press which fits with this perfectly.

The perfect San Francisco panini: Get a French roll, slice down the middle and slather the insides with olive oil. Lay on a few slices of prosciutto, a few roasted red peppers packed in water or oil (from your deli or condiments section of the grocery store), and a few generous slices of mozzarella. Sprinkle sandwich with a little salt. Grill in pan on medium heat until the first side is golden. Flip sandwich. Adjust heat so that when the second side turns golden, the mozzarella is just starting to melt. Bite into heaven.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2001
I ordered one of these, after seeing someone use a similar grill pan on a cooking show. When I received the product, it was superior in quality. Very heavy and extremely attractive. I couldn't wait to use it. I just wanted to get those little grill marks on my food, because I don't own an outdoor grill and I don't like the idea of dealing with mosquitos while grilling outside. Not only did I get the marks, but I got the burnt grill flavor on my chicken breast, too. The first night that I used it, I was having a dinner party while cooking. It performed stellar on the first use. I used chicken breast strips and noticed that though they seared with that great sound, they were cooking evenly and slowly. The food didn't burn, but I had to cook it a long time to get the chicken thoroughly done. The taste was perfect and not burnt or dry at all. I was so excited that I cooked whole bonely breast two days later and can't wait to grill the shrimp and vegetables this weekend. Beware though, the thickness of the meat will cause a lengthy grilling time. So, the house will be full of smoke (for the inexperienced cook like me), but the meat will not burn or dry out. I also purchased the heart shape pot which was great for display of the casserole but the grill pan has me walking on cloud nine. Matter of fact, I'm eating grilled chicken for lunch right now and it taste great!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love this little indoor grill! It creates beautiful grill lines on anything from fish to veggies. We often cook sausages, hot dogs and hamburgers in it as well. The only issue we ever have is if we need to cook for more than 4 people.

Anyone familiar with cast iron woks or who might be an avid outdoor griller will tell you that you shouldn't clean your cast iron or grill with soap. In fact, don't sweat it if you can't remove all the little black bits that get seared on to this pan as those are the particles that actually "season" your cookware and will provide a more complex flavor to your food after continued use.

This pan is fabulous for steaks! For a perfect fillet, sear both sides of your steak on this grill then slip the whole thing into a 350 degree oven to finish to your preferences. Immediately after removing them from the oven, transfer the steaks to a covered dish for 5 minutes while you sautee mushrooms in the steak juices that have collected in the grooves. Yum!
on May 5, 2001
Does an excellent job of cooking whatever you put in it without drying the food out. Chicken, steaks, fish, shellfish, everything, comes out moist and flavorful. Gives the appealing appearance of grill lines without the drying effect of the outdoor grille. I really enjoy cooking with this grill, and often choose recipes based upon being able to use the grill.
on May 19, 2003
Don't let the high price tag and the cast iron thing scare you away from this great product. It's not your mother's cast iron of stuck-on messes and rust in your food. It's very easy to season, and from there it works great. We've been able to cook everything from salmon, to buffalo, to pineapples with no sticking.
Unlike it's predecessor, the George Foreman grill, it cooks many kind of foods beautifully without drying it out or sticking. The key...temperature control. Since it works with your stove, you can control the amout of heat you need.
Also, having a wee kitchen, it's nice not to have another appliance taking up valuable counter space.
One of the best features is the lifetime warranty. And they mean it too. My friend had a Le Creuset teapot that rusted out and they sent her a replacement for free.
Sure it's pricey, but you get what you pay for with this pan.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have used one of these excellent pans for over a decade.

If you are not used to this type of pan, you do need to become accustomed to the cooking technique.

Cast iron has a very low thermal inertia, and once it is heated, it retains that hear for a significant period of time. This is unlike aluminium pans which cool quickly once the application of heat reduces or ceases.

You need to take this into account.

Here are my tips:

1. Pre- heat the pan to a medium heat

2. Apply a small amount of oil- canola or olive oil are suitable in my experience- to the cooking surface

3. Ensure foods you are cooking have a dry surface- blot with a paper towel to remove excess moisture- prior to cooking

The pan imparts a delightful chargrilled flavor- with attractive char marks made by the raised ridges. The ridges help to ensure that excess fat and moisture drains from the food as it is cooked- also enhancing the flavor and texture of the food.

I recommend you use utensils which will not scratch the enamel cooking surface- I use Cuisipro non-metallic tongs.
This is great for cooking meat as well as char grilling vegetables.

Cleaning is simple, if you follow the instructions. I suggest you use a plastic dish brush to clean between the ridges, without damaging the enamel.

You can have problems if you overheat the pan- care is needed to ensure medium heat is used.

Highly recommended- I feel sure you will not be disappointed with this grill pan if used correctly.

Also, it is very durable and retains its attractive appearance in the longer term.
on July 1, 2012
I am a die-hard grill freak. To me, nothing beats my grill and charcoal and wood chips. So when I moved to Thailand for work and into a condo, I thought my grilling would have to be put on hold. I tried a number of electric grills and a few grill pans, but frankly, they left me wanting. The indoor electric grills just couldn't replicate grilling, and the grill pans I tried basically fried things.

I have several Le Creuset casseroles, and while discussing them on a trip back to the the US with someone I just met, he told me I needed to try this pan. Since I love the casseroles, I gave it a shot, buying the pan and then lugging it back to Thailand with me. Even if it took up a good deal of my luggage weight, I am ecstatic that I did. The pan works great. I am able to get great grilling taste, nice markings, and delicious steaks, burgers, grilled veggies, pork chops, fish, shrimp (they have huge prawns here in Thailand) and the list goes on. Even bacon tastes better grilled on the pan rather that fried in a frying pan.

Besides the taste and ease of cooking, I am also quite happy that this is healthier than frying. Actually, it is healthier than grilling over a flame as well.

To be honest, I don't know how the pan does it, why it is so superior to any other grill option I have tried. All I know is that it does. This is one kitchen tool that I most heartedly recommend.
on March 26, 2009
First off, I disagree with everyone here who says this pan is difficult to clean. Every time Ive grilled whole fish in it, theyve stuck so Ive had to soak and scrape. Not hard.

But for the same reason that its easy to clean, its screwing up the fish in the first place. Its the enamel. When youre grilling a fish, or most other meats, you want to have them make contact with the grill when its very hot, so that the meat contracts enough to not bind to the surface. Ive found that no matter how hot I get the grill, and Ive had it over a high flame for 45 minutes before putting a fish on it, its just not hot enough.

But I keep it around because its great with anything thats not as delicate as a whole fish. Burgers, veggies, paninis, chops, love it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...