Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Le Creuset Stoneware 12-1/2-by-9-1/2-Inch Rectangular Baking Dish, Cherry
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 19, 2012
I have had this dish for less than a year and it split into two pieces after baking in it. I placed it from room temperature to a 325F oven (which hadn't even finished heating up) and baked for 30 minutes. I placed the dish onto a cork trivet when it was finished baking and it split right down the middle and popped open! I called customer service and they said it happens a lot and that it might not be covered under the warranty but if I would send it back to them they would either replace it or send me a coupon for a small discount for another item at their discretion. I have only used this pan a dozen times (or less) in about six months. I always hand wash it, I've never put it in the freezer. :( They tell me that this happens a lot with these pans and they recommend I put a cookie sheet UNDER the pan in case another cracks in the future (to protect my stove). Wow, thanks Le Crueset customer service representative. I read the instructions, I used it accordingly, and it breaks and you say it's because I preheated the oven!?! It only says don't put it from the FREEZER to a preheated oven!!!! They should specify room temperature may cause thermal cracking, too. No more Le Crueset stoneware for me!
55 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2011
I ordered this product in June, used it once, and it cracked. I sent it back to Amazon for a replacement. Today, after 3 uses, the replacement cracked... A huge "POP POP" from a 375 degree oven. I pulled it out and yep, it was cracked all the way thru, straight down the middle. I will not use Le Creuset stoneware again.
on June 16, 2000
This is my favorite casserole dish, because it looks beautiful on the table but is absolutely functional throughout the cooking process. The dish is not enameled cast iron like the pots, but ceramic, which means it does not offer the same kind of heat absorption as cast iron, but does allow you to put it in the microwave, etc. (although don't put it on the stovetop!).
on October 2, 2011
Williams-Sonoma is picking up the two last casualties tomorrow. The Le Creuset stonewware is "oven-safe". I think not! The
bakeware explodes in the oven leaving you with shards of clay and your special casserole in the bottom of your ovenLe Creuset Stoneware 14"Oval Baking Dish - Cobalt Blue. I was raised on Le Creuset in the 1970s and 1980s. The iron cookware is amazing. I still have many of Mom's 30-year old pieces. The stoneware is dangerous and without quality control. No less than three different sizes have exploded in the oven after 2 to 3 uses. This is a very dangerous product! Buyer beware.
on January 14, 2011
I'll start by saying that I own a number of Le Creuset pans and stoneware dishes. I received this particular baking dish as a holiday gift from the in-laws, and as I was washing it after its inaugural casserole I noticed a hairline crack running the entire length of the thing. I called Le Creuset the next morning, explained the situation, and they readily exchanged it for a new one. Unfortunately the replacement developed the same side-to-side crack after I used it last night for the first time!

I'm going to talk with my MIL this afternoon to see if she's Okay with simply getting a refund from the manufacturer. This isn't the first Le Creuset stoneware item I've had develop cracks after a one or two uses, and I'm coming to the conclusion that they need to work on their stoneware manufacturing techniques.
on August 20, 2005
I purchased this item based on the good reviews. I was primarily interested in purchasing an attractive dish. The red dish looks great -- perfect for oven-to-table use. It was a pleasant surprise to find that food turns out so much better than with the Pyrex I was using. It bakes even and food stays moist. It is very easy to clean.
on June 5, 2000
...and I like this dish the best. I use it for everything from baking chicken to scalloped potatos. As with all Le Creuset, this dish cleans up beautifully. Most of the time I just scrape off any caked on food, rarely have I needed to soak this dish. I really like Le Creuset and this is one of my favorite dishes.
on June 1, 2009
This baking dish works very well until it cracks. I see other reviewers had the same problem. Mine lasted two years. For the price, that is not very long.
on August 3, 2012
I received this as a wedding gift, and was excited to use it to broil salmon. Unfortunately, it broke into three pieces in the oven the first time I used it. I recommend NOT purchasing this baking dish.
review image
on May 21, 2008
I've used my square stoneware pan maybe 10 times and didn't have any problems. But today my dish just cracked right down the middle while in the oven at 400 degrees, just like the other 1-star reviewer experienced. I did not see this coming. I'm disappointed, but at least I found it at TJ Maxx for $12.