Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 17, 2016
Very dark but intriguing mystery. It kept me guessing as to what was going on.
on January 6, 2016
Love this series.
on July 12, 2015
Watch out. I bought the same book twice under different titles. I did enjoy reading the book the first time.
on June 1, 2015
The political power thread made it more interesting than just a pure revenge crime mystery. Louis Morgan is a cleverly conceived, reluctant sleuth.
on November 7, 2014
new series but will read more for sure
on October 6, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and will read the other Louis Morgon novels. It reminds me of the Louise Penny Inspector Gamache novels - set in a small, French-speaking town. I really like the writing, the descriptions of people and places, as well as the slow, thoughtful pace and style.
on August 17, 2014
Welcome to the world of an aging ex US spy. Terrific book.
on June 11, 2014
Since I discovered the Louis Morgon series, I have been unable to put them down! Have now read all three - and am awaiting more. If you enjoy an adventure story and love to read about France, these books are for you.
Thank you Peter Steiner.
on June 5, 2014
The title, like his other book L'Assissin, sounds fancy but doesn't really relate to the plot. Like his other book, parts of fascinating and I enjoyed the European setting. But parts seemed over the top.
on March 14, 2014
Peter Steiner gave a talk at the Litchfeld, CT public library last year and a lot of us purchased his books. It appears that he made a name for himself as a cartoonist for the New Yorker. My advice is, Peter, keep your day job.

The actual fiction in this book is very thin on the ground. It's basically a short story but no one pays fifteen bucks for a short story so he bulked it up with what amounts to a travelogue through the French countryside. If the travelogue had anything to do with the story the reader might cut him some slack but it's entirely irrelevant to the story. Oh, and calling it a story is being generous. This would get a "C" at best at Litchfield High School.

I think what happened here...actually, I'm sure it's what happened is this. Mr. Steiner wanted to take a ramble in France but wanted the trip to be subsidized. So he kept his expense receipts and puts them against the revenues from the book to reduce his taxable income on the royalties. There's no problem with that; it's America. But when someone buys a book that has "A Thriller" on the cover they expect to get a novel, not a shoebox full of expense receipts. It's more than a little misleading; it's...you got it, le crime!