Published on April 11, 2012 by Making Art

2.0 out of 5 stars A Book on How Not To Travel
This book has an idiosyncratic charm and nice watercolor illustrations but I cannot really recommend that someone actually purchase it. The author states that it is not a travel book but a book on how to travel. It is maybe a book on how to travel inconveniently. Who packs cashmere? Why arrive in a town and spend hours finding a hotel when there is Trip Advisor? I...
Published 22 months ago by Utah Streamer

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for travelers - especially exchange students, college year abroad students & Peace Corps volunteers, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France (Hardcover)
"Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France" follows on the success of Vivian Swift's delightful and genre defying first book "When Wanderers Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Journal of Staying Put." In "Le Road Trip" Swift has given us another gift for the senses. This book celebrates in both word and image how to be a tourist in your own life - take it in, savor it, but also don't take any of it too seriously.

Her "chocolate box" approach to books allows you to read in any order you like (though chronological is fun because it gives you the unfolding experience of the trip). As with her first book, "Le Road Trip" is completely hand-lettered by the author as well as full of her gorgeous watercolors and line drawings, perfect and often obscure quotes as well as thoughtful reflections on what it is like to travel (and be in love). I find that Swift's books lend themselves to re-reading. You'll always notice something new, most notably in the deceptively simple illustrations.

How I wish this book had been around when I first went abroad as a teenager and young adult. It'd have been a help and encouragement to find my own unique way of traveling - the way that was right for me. Indeed, I plan give this book to anyone about to travel or live abroad (perfect for exchange students, college year abroad students and even Peace Corps volunteers). On the surface "Le Road Trip" is about a trip to France, but really the subject is universal - the joys and, at times, difficulties of any kind travel outside of the familiar (going to college, living on the other side of the globe, starting a new relationship).

Nancy Pearl, Seattle librarian and book reviewer extraordinaire said it best: "A perfect gift for travelers, those with artistic souls, those with a sense of wonder, those who are hug-the-hearths--in short--nearly everyone on your gift list."

All I can add to that is be sure to put yourself at the top of that list!

5.0 out of 5 stars bliss for armchair travelers - Vivian Swift does it again!, April 14, 2012
I'm not a fan of travel. I'm not a big fan of France. But I LOVE this book. LOVE it.

Full of beautiful color watercolor illustrations, travel information (such as "there are no wrong trains"), memories, funny little antecdotes, "Le Road Trip" is a blissful vacation unto itself. This isn't a little slip of a book that you will get a few moments of flipping through, this is a BIG, HEAVY book full of stories. As with "When Wanderers Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Journal of Staying Put, I have spent several afternoons curled outside on the porch swing, immersed in this book. There's so much to read and look at and ponder. There is an actual BOOK under the beauty, much to read about traveling and personal adventures and information about France (who knew there wasn't really breakfast in France?)

I really appreciate what Vivian Swift does. I love her style, and I've said before that I wish all books were like the ones she creates. Art books don't have to be completely visual, and memoirs don't have to be black and white. There is a happy mix between art books and "reading" books and Vivian Swift has found it.

I highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Gorgeous, June 5, 2012
Without a doubt, this beautiful book filled with Vivian's beautiful paintings and words, is destined to become THE book the captures the ecstasy (and the occasional agony) of travelling through the world's most popular country. It's more than a book, it is a true work of art. The perfect way to travel, a passport to adventure and a book that defines the word delightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Le Trip, May 7, 2012
Predisposed to like travel writing, France, and illustrated narratives, I was a pushover for this book. But even at that, the continuing pleasures of this travel reflection are surprising. I romped through it almost at one sitting, and now I keep coming back at a more leisurely pace to savor the wonderfully complex treats Swift has prepared for the reader/viewer. Among my favorite pages are the visual equivalent of lists, assemblages of similar items -- windows, types of bread, cafe signs, corks -- all delicious. I continue to be surprised by beautiful details I'd missed the first, or third, or fifth time through. It's a keeper for all styles of traveler.

4.0 out of 5 stars The very best in armchair travel, August 10, 2012
A lovely book based on what could have been a trite conceit -- love and travel compared and contrasted via a honeymoon trip to France -- which is pulled off beautifully thanks to the author's delightfully wry observations. The ups and downs of romance and travel are deftly illustrated with the author's charming watercolors.

The reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is that I did find the illstrations too predictable by about midway through, which I think is more about subject matter than any fault of the artist's. In her first book ("When Wanderers Cease to Roam") the subject matter roams hither and yon, so I got used to being pleasantly surprised by each turn of the page, not knowing what would come next. Because this second book is more limited in scope, by the midway point I knew that when I turned a page, I would get either an illustration of a quaint street, or paintings of the landscape showing rolling hills, vineyards, and farmhouses, or a sketch of that day's featured meal. For me this became a little repetitive, with the surprises too few and far between. Thankfully, they are very fine watercolors indeed, and I do love her work.

Overall this is a winning book and I eagerly await whatever subject Vivian Swift assuredly writes and paints about next. You will have a grand time on Le Road Trip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Road Trip, September 7, 2012
This wee gem sits by my favorite chair so that I can take a quick trip to France at a moment's notice. Swift makes me laugh, cry, chortle, hum, and even get out my watercolors to make my own "triskets." She's a wonder, and this book, a delight. Merci beaucoup, Vivian!

5.0 out of 5 stars from a the eyes and the mouths of children, September 26, 2012
while perusing one of my very favorite books with my 2 grand daughters (5 and 7), I heard them review Le Road Trip so well and so simply -- better than I could, actually. Exclamations like
"how'd she draw that so good?" -- "wow" (whispered reverently), and the best -- "can we go there together some day, Grammie?" The highest praise for a beautiful and inspiring book that has a special place on my night time book shelf - right atop Swift's other book, When Travelers Cease to Roam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, August 22, 2012
ayesha (Pune, India) - See all my reviews
The book is beautiful. It's a collectible. Both her books are really pretty. Can't wait for the next. I hope there are many more to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Book to Adore and SHARE!, August 20, 2012
I first fell in love with Vivian's art and verse in "When Wanderers Cease to Roam." She is laugh-out-loud funny, and her illustrations are charming and "real."

I purchased her books initially for watercolor inspiration, but her words are an inspiration too! I've never been to France, have always wanted to go, and "Le Road Trip" just makes me want to go that MUCH *M*O*R*E*!

Can't wait for Vivian's next book, whatever it may be. (Fingers crossed for a garden-themed book!)

Her books are too good to keep all to yourself, they make the perfect gift too! Your friends and family will love you for it ~ even more than they love you now! <3

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh So Special, August 17, 2012
I first fell in love with Ms Swift's "When Wanderers Cease to Roam" - It truly was Love at First Sight". Lovely hand lettered text, wonderful tales of the road, and watercolors to delight the eye.

Le Road Trip continues the adventure, more wonderful stories of my beloved France, through her honeymoon with her dream man. Funny, factual and again watercolor treats for the eye.

These books are always out on display in my home as they make me smile, make me happy, make me dream. You won't be disappointed. (get them both!!!)

Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France
Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France by Vivian Swift (Hardcover - April 10, 2012)
$26.00 $18.30