Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on September 27, 2011
The true "original" is the UK version, which contains malt vinegar and spirit vinegar. This product is the US version, which contains distilled white vinegar instead. I've compared both versions side by side and found that it's even possible to _smell_ the difference. As you may well imagine, the difference in taste is considerable.

Please note that this issue is entirely separate from the matter of the high-fructose corn syrup mentioned in so many other reviews. The US version no longer contains HFCS, but it's still not the "original" -- and it's not as pungent and strongly flavored as the true UK original.

Use the UK version (with the orange label) and accept no substitutes. Especially when they lie and claim to be "original."
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2014
The point of the 1-5 star rating system is to appraise the OVERALL quality of a product. If I see "1 star" next to a food product, I assume that the smell or taste made you physically ill. It doesn't mean that you generally like the product but you heard from a friend that they switched from sugar to corn syrup.

To that point, the comments about HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) are lies. I have the bottle right here in front of me and it says "sugar". Here is the complete list: distilled white vinegar, molases, water, sugar, onions, anchovies, salt, garlic, cloves, tamarind extract, chili pepper extract.

Please use the rating system to give your overall impression of the product. Not as an excuse to rant about how Lea & Perrins uses a different vinegar than they did back in the 1940s when you were growing up in East Bumfart. This product is now rated 1.5 stars BELOW "Tuscan Milk". Way to go, Amazon! :(
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2009
The above delightful reviews are sadly recalling a different product. The Lea & Perrins that is sold in the US now uses high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar (which is what is still in the UK version.) This may not matter to some but it definitely detracts from the authentic clean spicy taste by making it more sickly sweet which the original is not. It really becomes apparent in Bloody Mary's and also in scrambled eggs or toasted cheese (Welsh Rarebit.) Bring a bottle back from the UK and compare the difference. A pity because it must mean only a cent or so difference in the manufacturing cost.
44 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 12, 2015
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce was placed on our dinner table along with the salt and pepper routinely from the early 1940s until now. Now, that routine will not change. There may have been internal changes to the product; however, I am not smart enough to know what they might have been if at all. For our household, this is a superb product and we see no reason to change our 8 decades of use.
on August 1, 2015
I've always liked Worcestershire Sauce . I use it in quite a few things I cook on regular basis. This brand seems to be the best I have tried, in my estimation; opinion . Fairly sure some wont taste a significant difference however at such a low price why not buy this brand , considered one of the best ones. or at least more popular brand.
With it being a add on item ( drop ship) , the price is better then great , even generic brand Worcestershire Sauce @ a local store would cost more. So I add a bottle now and then to my orders over $25 , having too much of it is fine since it lasts for a very long time . A two pack of 15oz bottles is also sold here on amazon along with other options for Lea & Perrins, which is also a good deal , slightly more per oz last time i checked so i buy this 10oz bottle at its current price $2.52.
I included a picture showing how it looks when it arrives.
review image
on May 4, 2015
We love Worcestershire sauce in this house. It is great to use on meats as well as add to sauces and a million other things. Lea & Perrins is by far my favorite. Just seems to have better flavor then knock off brands out there.
on January 26, 2011
Frankly, this isn't worth the bottle it's put in. Heinz have really screwed the pooch on a wonderful, traditional product. Not only were the sugars replaced by HFCS, but the wonderful malt vinegar has been substituted with a more generic (read: cheaper) distilled vinegar. These two things alone result in a product that not only lacks the subtlety and spice of the original, but one that leaves a nasty, cloying aftertaste. I'n not even going to get into the potential health risks of HFCS--if the stuff tasted good, I probably wouldn't care, considering the small amount used. But, it does NOT taste good, and as a life-long Lea & Perrins devotee, I feel completely ripped off by Heinz's cost-cutting measures. Maybe some people can't tell the difference, but I'm betting a lot more can.

My question to Heinz would be, why the hell buy a company, just to completely ruin up its flagship product? Or, is it that they didn't want competition for their third-rate "Worcestershire sauce?" Now that I think about it, the new L&P tastes a lot like the rubbish in the Heinz bottle. Maybe one and the same? Gak.

Fortunately, as others have mentioned, you can still get something that more closely resembles the real thing from both Europe and Canada. Do your homework. It's worth the couple extra pence to get the real thing.
66 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2016
Don't use it often, but it has been a staple wherever I have lived for over 70 years. BUYER BEWARE however in that there is the original (we prefer this) and another version by Lea Perrins which has some different ingredients you may not want. Lots of recipes call for this sauce.
on June 16, 2016
I was raised by a British born and raised Mum in the '60s and '70s. I grew up with Worcestershire Sauce and generally plain British cooking. Another subject. Much later I have rediscovered the Heinz version since it acquired Lea and Perrins. It's watered down crap for profit I can't say it any other way. In Europe, Heinz Catsup does not even meet the standards to be called catsup. I avoid Heinz products.
on June 25, 2012
I'm not sure how much the HFCS had to do with the difference- or the difference in vinegar.. but one thing is for certain, it tastes different from what I remember growing up. And I can confirm the difference visually. The test of Lea & Perrins is to take a white plate and put enough of the sauce to just cover the surface of the plate. It used to be a dark color, now it's a light tan color. WHAT IS THIS? It no longer has the tangy bold flavor, and instead tastes like a watered down version of its former self. I find myself piling on twice as much to try to bring back the old flavor, but never quite getting it. What happened to you lea and perrins? I miss you!

I'm going to buy the direct UK stuff and see if it's good.