Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on August 5, 2011
I had high expectations for such an expensive book, but this may be the worst order I have made on Amazon. It basically feels like the author went to wikipedia and copied each biography or asked a high school history class to each write about a famous "leader" and simply publish what they wrote. The writing differs so much from story to story that you question if its the same author. Very bad buy. I couldn't finish it.
on May 10, 2010
I have to say I love the premise behind this book. In a simple way Polelle has managed to capture essential elements of leadership in a variety of different contexts blending theoretical perspectives in history, politics, science, religion and art in an engaging way. Aside from the introduction (which I've read numerous times) my favorite chapter is on "Scientific Leadership". In it, Polelle explores the idea that maybe the reason scientists rarely make exceptional leaders is that they are "too focused on problems and not people".

As a behavioral scientist at a small private university, I truly believe "Leadership" could be used as the framework for an interdisciplinary series of courses either at the freshman seminar level or even in a graduate program. "Leadership" is a manageable and amusing read. If you tackle a chapter each night before sleep, by the conclusion of a bit less than two weeks I guarantee your head will be full of many interesting ideas of what it means to be a leader.
on May 9, 2010
This book is, as the title says, a fresh approach to the study of leadership, in that it focuses on a wide variety of leaders rather than a few leaders of singular styles. For example, consider the eight "styles" of leadership covered: political, religious, military, intellectual, scientific, feminine, inventor and entrepreneur, diplomatic, and artistic leadership styles. Other books, as far as I've read, like to focus on one or a few different leaders (usually in the same style, such as political leadership) and talk about their collective strengths. This break from ranks means that Polelle's book can serve as a primer in leadership studies, aided by a good "Further Reading" section of references.

As I said, it's a good (and unique) place to begin if you're interested in leadership but don't quite know where to start.
on October 24, 2010
This book is different from the other leadership books that I have read. It lends a new view on leadership by not just focusing on one or two leaders, but by discussing multiple leaders and dividing them into subgroups. I enjoyed learning about the various types of leadership such as religious, military, and feminine just to name a few. It's a refreshing take on a topic that is discussed in everyday life and makes the reader think about leadership in different ways and why some leaders were successful while others were not.

Polelle's Leadership is a great source in itself plus it lists "further reading" titles to enhance the reader's experience as well as gain more knowledge on a given leader or topic. This book is the total package.