5.0 out of 5 stars Permanently On My Nightstand
This updated version is packed full of validating research, case studies, and wonderful stories. The book is so inspiring and a wonderful resource for anyone with a desire of leading. I keep this on my nightstand and read a little every day so I can truly think about what Kevin Cashman is teaching us about becoming a leader for life.
Published on August 28, 2008 by Business of Leadership

1.0 out of 5 stars Not How Much You Know But How You Use It
I couldn't read this book for more than two minutes, began flipping through all the chapters to see if Cashman could state any legitimate point or provide useful information one can apply to the field. The book is monotonous and is more of a collection of statements from various other books the author has read (no doubt, a well read man!) but with no connection to how to...
Published on August 21, 2010 by Orchidmoon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Permanently On My Nightstand, August 28, 2008
This review is from: Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Leadership from the Inside Out: Grow the Person to Grow the Leader, March 23, 2009
I would recommend Leadership from the Inside Out by Kevin Cashman. The major theme of this book is authentic leadership and in its pages, Cashman provides many opportunities for the reader to learn and grow personally and as a leader. Cashman argues that to develop as a leader, one must focus on whole-person development and offers many suggestions on how to accomplish this.

The book is well-grounded in research. Cashman uses a mix of practitioner resources (i.e. Training & Development magazine) and academic articles (i.e. from the Center for Creative Leadership) alongside his personal and professional experiences. This combination of sources lends credibility to the book, although sometimes it makes the reading a bit awkward.

The one major complaint I have about the book is that it introduces you to a topic, but doesn't point you in the direction to learn more. For example, Cashman suggests meditation as a means of controlling stress, but he doesn't suggest resources on meditation or tell the reader where they might learn and practice meditation.

The book is meant to be read slowly. Throughout, Cashman includes quotes from famous and important leaders that are meant to provoke thoughts. He also includes reflections at critical points in the book and at the end of each chapter. From the beginning, he encourages the reader not to read straight through, but to put down the book when an idea strikes and explore it.

This is an excellent book for the reader wanting to learn more about himself or wanting to learn more about authentic leadership. I would caution against using this book in isolation. When ideas or suggestions pique your interest, it would be helpful to have access to other resources on the subjects. All-in-all it is definitely worth the read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Taken with a grain of salt; quite a bit sweeter than I thought, April 13, 2014
Leadership from the Inside Out is a book that I was expected to read for a graduate-level class on Educational Leadership. After the first few pages, I was turned off by the "meta-talk;" I am naturally weary of self-help gurus who name drop celebrities who they have helped to transform the lives of, and I was quick to dismiss Cashman as "one of those people."

However, a few chapters in, about the point where Cashman speaks of "leading authentically," I knew that there was something in this book original enough and, well, authentic enough, for me to benefit from and apply to the leadership roles I currently occupy.

This is a book in which you get what you give; that is, Cashman gives ample opportunities for the reader to stop and perform a task of some sort; whether it is to take an inventory of your strengths and weaknesses or goals, or take a moment to self-reflect, these exercises may prove helpful for you. Plus, Cashman mentions many resources for readers to gain more insight into certain leadership theories or programs, so again, that may be beneficial for some.

If, however, you view this book or the wisdom Cashman wishes to provide with skepticism, then there is not much this book can provide. I felt the same as these skeptics, and certainly, some of the exercises he asks of the reader were not for me, and I feel Cashman would be okay with that. However, there is something here for you too, I am sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEVELOPING YOUR INNER CAPABILITIES FOR LEADERSHIP, October 28, 2008
This book explores seven areas for mastery for leadership from the inside out. These are: personal, purpose, interpersonal, change, resilience, being, and action mastery. The essence of the book is that becoming a leader involves a continuous process of authentic personal transformation. A chapter is devoted to each of the seven areas of mastery, with clear and concise insights, stimulating questions, and many great quotations. Each chapter ends with a leadership growth plan. The book is based on extensive experience and research. This a very valuable contribution to the field of leadership and stimulates deep reflection and self-awareness. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars All about you!, January 25, 2013
KHaidet (Newtown, CT, US) - See all my reviews
Especially like books that have you focusing on yourself rather than cry about how bad everyone else is. Great ideas on how to get focused and how to develop character in order to become a good leader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, A Must Read!, October 19, 2012
This book is absolutely AMAZING! I purchased it because I needed a book about leadership for one of my classes and it looked like a quick read... I was right about it being a quick read but I keep finding myself rereading, and underlining in it! I am learning so much and can't put it down! I honestly I was going to relate to it (as a 20 year old college student) but I really am and have suggested it to over 10 people already. BUT THIS BOOK! It will change your thinking and your leadership style! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal growth and effective leadership are interlinked, November 19, 2009
This is a great book for anyone who believes that personal growth is at the root of professional success. In order to become a successful leader Kevin Cashman suggests that we need to develop our leadership style "from the inside out", needing to create mastery in several areas such as personal, purpose, change, interpersonal mastery. I am a big fan of books that offer hands-on exercises to practice the concepts promoted. What use is it to understand concepts intellectually without any support on how to get them into your "muscle"? I happily recommend this book to my clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 3, 2014
If you are looking for a book that reflects on who you are and how you lead. This is the book for you to read. It has been a great book for me to reflect on myself as a person and as a leader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 21, 2014
Very insightful, interesting, thought provoking, and keeps me wanting to read more. The stories and quotes make me question myself and my life situation. What am I really doing with my life? Why am I going there? What is the purpose? Like the priest who offered to pay a soldier money every day to ask him those same questions. It is worth thinking about daily, so as to not get distracted so much by mundane activities and just enjoy life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for personal development!, February 4, 2014
Highly recommend for everyone to read. The author put it in the perspective that make it easy to read and understand.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life
Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life by Kevin Cashman (Paperback - September 1, 2008)
$21.95 $13.37