5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent basic leadership text

Published on July 30, 2010 by Mateo

3.0 out of 5 stars A Regrettably Biased Survey, July 30, 2010
Mateo (Mexico City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
There is much to like and to dislike about Northouse's book. Its main strengths are the breadth and currency of its survey of leadership theories and its simple and practical organization. On the other hand, Northouse privileges and effectively endorses certain theories over others; his rambling and gushing review of authentic leadership (the longest chapter he writes) reads like a T.V. commercial, while his treatment of the much more extensive research on leadership traits is relatively short and frequently dismissive. His bias, along with occasionally clunky prose and endless in-text APA citations, is inappropriate in an expensive text book such as this. Ironically, the two best chapters--that is to say, authoritative, broad and yet detailed, and more capably written--are not written by him, but by invited experts. One gets the strong feeling that the author has grown tired of many of the theories in his text. My recommendation to the publisher would be to keep the format but have each chapter written by an expert in the related field, and to conclude with an attempt to identify any common threads or crucial differences among the many theories. In summary, this is not a bad place to start for people interested in reading about leadership theory, but it is by no means the place to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent basic leadership text, October 1, 2010
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
This is a well written textbook that I am using for a graduate course I teach called Leadership Perspectives and Practices. It is far superior to the book that I previously used in both format and style. Author Peter Northouse writes clearly and concisely in a book that provides a basic overview of all major leadership theories, as well as additional chapters on timely topics such as women and leadership, authentic leadership and culture and leadership.

Each chapter includes several short case studies that illustrate the principles covered, along with sections that point out the strengths and criticisms of each theoretical approach. The chapters are well sequenced and the book has an author index as well as a subject index.

I highly recommend this fifth edition of Leadership Theory and Practice for use as a text or for anyone who is seeking a book that provides a serious study of core leadership principles and their application.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leadership course text, April 28, 2010
Happy Camper "MSK" (Richardson, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
I purchased this for a grad school course. The price was so much cheaper from Amazon, it fact the new book was less than the price of the campus bookstore used book. The book itself is very easy to read and the author provides definitions and explanations that are easy to remember and differentiate. There are lots of references used so the author provides a list of references at the end of each chapter. Having that is just an extra plus, also having a really good chapter summary helps too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, September 27, 2010
nilou (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
I bought this book for one of my graduate courses, leadership theory. Every week I have to read two chapters of this book and I enjoy reading the book very much. The concepts are fluent and easy to follow. Each chapter introduces one leadership approach or theory and compare the strengths and criticisms of the theory. It also offers case studies and leadership instruments at the end of each chapter. Another great thing about this book is its easy language. English is my second language, but when I read this book I don't need to keep checking dictionary to understand the concepts. So, it makes my learning pleasant and save my reading time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Writing for the sake of length, April 15, 2010
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
This textbook is repetitive and seems to be written for the sake of length. I noticed in more than one chapter that several paragraphs concluded similarly but had "different examples" given for the same conclusions.

This makes for long reading when trying to absorb information efficiently.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dry. Dry. Dry., August 4, 2011
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
This book is very dry and wordy. I purchased it for a leadership and mgmt course at my university. I was really excited to receive the book, only to be left disappointed. It just goes on and on about concepts and not so much about how to apply them.

A lot of what IS good in the book are things that one would know (common knowledge) so it's still good as maybe a reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, May 9, 2013
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
After being in small retail business for 22 years, 12 in management, and 25 years of leadership in church, I had no formal instruction on leadership. Going back to finish my undergrad in Organizational Leadership is why I purchased this book. It was required for class. I found this book to be excellent! It is a GREAT overview of many key theories over the last century. The chapters were all formatted the same, so as you worked through the book, you began to know what to expect in the content for each chapter. The chapters concluded with strengths and weaknesses of the theories, a summary, and some kind of a leadership test to measure who you are in relation to the theory. These tests were great to help me discover the kind of leader I am, my strengths, and where I needed to focus on improving. Most all of it confirmed what I informally learned over the course of 25 years. The parts of the book I thought were really well done were the Case Studies at the end of each chapter. These were designed to hone ones critical thinking skills, and that they did. The questions asked in the Case Studies were answerable if you read the chapter and were diligent at applying the principles. This probably had the most impact in my great experience with this text.

I highly recommend this text! It's a easy read with a powerful format to teach!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable reading, September 14, 2013
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
Content is current and the entire text is an easy read. Not dry or outdated as some other texts. Trait, Skills, Style, Psycho-dynamic and Situational approaches are presented in clear, concise format. Theory discussions include Contingency, Path-Goal, and Leadership-Member Exchange. Other topics are on transformational, authentic, and team leadership. Aspects of Women, culture, and ethics are also discussed. Leadership instruments are provided at the end of each chapter for self-assessment as well as instrument structural design guidance.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good "staple" book in your library, August 9, 2014
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
This is a good "staple" book in your library. I have taken a large number of leadership classes and stumbled across this in my master's program, but used it again in my Ph.D. It is a good book because it is concise. I have sold most of my leadership books, but this is one that I cannot seem to part with due to its quick reference nature. The index is good and it allows me to review concepts quickly and concisely.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who are Doctoral or Masters Leadership Majors, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Leadership: Theory and Practice (Paperback)
This is a great, easy to read book. I appreciated the breakdown and descriptions provided of leadership styles, characteristics and measures to identify one's own leadership style. It provides corrective action plans for those who are direct lead, to orchestrate a winnning team. Had to read this book for an Organizational Leadership class. Will hold on to the book for refererences in the future.

Leadership: Theory and Practice
Leadership: Theory and Practice by Peter Guy Northouse (Paperback - October 6, 2009)
Used & New from: $5.88