Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Leading From the Front: No-Excuse Leadership Tactics for Women
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 10, 2006
This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to write a review for a book. However, I really felt that everyone should read this book. Whether you are private or public sector, civilian or military, this is a great read. AND, MEN should read it as much as Women. Here are my thoughts...

1. The book is straight forward with no nonsense. It goes to the facts and really makes the reader think about the role of leadership in one's own life and what type of a leader you are. It offers unique insight into dealing with others and leading by inspiration. There are so many golden nuggets in this book, I encourage other readers to have a 3x5 card and a pen next tothem as they are reading. You are going to want to write down various ideas and have them in your pocket to review over the course of your day... seriously... this book is that good.

2. I like the "readability" of the book. It's enlightening, entertaining, educational and inspiring all at the same time... I was honest above when I said no book had ever compelled me to log on and actually leave a comment. This is a MUST READ.

3. And finally, this book is different. It's not the run-of-the-mill BORING leadership book. Each page kept me hungry for more. It is compelling and insightful.

Again, I think everyone should read this book. And please... it's a great read for both men and women. We all face a variety of leadership challenges every day. This book will surely become a classic in everyone's leadership library...

Enjoy.
on February 25, 2007
I bought this book for a number of women employees and managers that I work with - initial reactions were reserved but after reading the book all thanked me for the gift. The book does a great job of making it clear that women can lead just like men and can face and overcome the same challenges. The authors tell their personal stories and relate them to the leadership principles. In all, a great book for women 'hesitating' to lead or those seeking to understand the difference between management and leadership.
on October 19, 2012
I read this book hoping for some real insights into leadership from the authors. Unfortunately I was left feeling a little disappointed by the content. I am not downplaying the fact these women were clearly capable of performing at a high level to become Marines however I was expecting their experiences in the military to be a bit more 'front line' than they were. Also, I was a bit surprised, after the build up from the authors regarding their experiences, to find that one was only in the Marines for four short years. Having said that, some of their advice was useful. I thought Chapter 5 - Think Before You Act - Especially Before You Overreact was sound, as was their thoughts that (Chapter 7) Courage + Initiative + Perseverance + Integrity = Success.
As a female in a senior position in a male dominated environment (policing) I think I was looking for something a bit more insightful and with more examples of situations where they had to really challenge themselves to find solutions. The examples were a bit weak in some parts and that was disappointing. It isn't too bad but there are better leadership books out there.
on May 9, 2008
I purchased this book for two reasons. First I had seen editorials by both CPTs Lynch and Morgan on the [...] (applying the Art of War to success in daily life) website and was impressed with their perspectives. Second, I have created a professional reading program for my IT staff and as a (male) manager of a department dominated by women, I want to provide resources which are relevant to their career and personal development.

My first observation is that this book is for women in the same way that every business and leadership book over the last two decades is for men. The fact is that this book is full of important and reasoned perspective that is relevant to ANYONE looking to take charge of their situation and succeed.

The book is easy to read and full of specific relevant, interesting examples. CPTs Lynch and Morgan offer insight into their own struggles and successes. Through their sharing they exemplify one of their principles; that success starts with courage. They have shared stories of failure as well as achievement. This honest approach reinforces their message and invests the reader in the outcome.

I'm sure that I am biased by my own military experience, and the respect I have for those who make the sacrifices required to serve and lead. The application of lessons learned in the military to business, family, and emotional success is sometimes difficult. These leaders have done an excellent job of establishing a case for and an approach to that application.

As the subtitle suggests this book should indeed be read by women who are seeking to take charge and become leaders. However this book really should be read by anyone, not just women, who would embrace the opportunity to apply the lessons of someone else's sacrifice. This is an important addition to the professional library of any student dedicated to personal development.
on November 29, 2014
This book has a lot of good advice. Mind, I disagree with what they say re: crying in the office but c'est la vie. As a woman who also served in the USMC, I appreciate seeing more of my sisters getting out there and showing leadership in the civilian world and then sharing what they know. Semper Fi!
on May 4, 2006
I loved this book. I picked it up at the airport because I was curious of the subject matter -- I didn't know how Marine Corps leadership applied to my life. The book caught me from the beginning. I admire the authors' ability to tell their personal stories and relate them to the leadership principles. This in an important book for every woman on her quest for personal and professional achievement. Buy this book for your friends, family members and colleagues who want to be better leaders.
on March 13, 2006
Leading from the Front delivers a much-needed message: All women can be leaders, no matter what the circumstances of their lives. It's refreshing to find a book that recognizes that leadership isn't about what people do, but rather about who they are. By emphasizing character, the authors encourage women to rise above internal apathy and external obstacles to be the best they can be in all aspects of their lives.

This is a book that could easily have become too abstract or preachy to make any real impact on readers. But because the authors so skillfully draw upon their own experiences and so candidally discuss their challenges as well as their victories, Leading from the Front not only captures readers' attention, but also motivates them to make lasting changes that can lead to better lives.

Anyone seeking a spark to light the fire of leadership in their lives can benefit from this book!
on September 29, 2013
This book was an easy read and very useful. The lessons are easy to digest and the examples allow the reader to understand the authors are not telling you what they think you should do as a leader, based on a grad school text book, but they are teaching the reader what one must do based on personal successes. I really enjoyed the book and am applying the lessons learned daily. I am calmer at work and happier.
on March 10, 2006
A friend gave me this book after hearing the authors' speak. I'm not one to read a book on leadership, but this book grabbed me from the start. It's easy to understand and fun to read. I am already using the principles in my daily life. Get this book for yourself and a good friend today. It is knowledge you can use right away. The writing is clear, concise and not full of military jargon-every point made sense!
on May 4, 2006
I just heard the authors speak at a statewide conference, they are amazing! The leadership lessons they write about in Leading From the Front sound simple at first, but when you really start practicing them you realize that being a leader is a challenge. This book helps you improve your leadership skills in a step by step manner in a way ALL women can relate to. I LOVED IT! And I am a better person and leader for having spent a couple of hours with Courtney and Angie and the book. I'd call this a must read!!