4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Writing Style...
I recently re-re-read this book.

Published on August 5, 2005 by Matilda

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read
Published on May 24, 2009 by S. C. Mulhern

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Writing Style..., August 5, 2005
Matilda (LA, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leap Day (Hardcover)
I recently re-re-read this book.

The book, for those of you who haven't read it, is written in two main parts. One part is told through the eyes of Josie Taylor, a girl turning sixteen on leap day. The other part is written from third person about all the people she's affected. For example, in Josie's chapter, she might just glance at a boy and think he's weird. In the next chapter, you will see what the boy is feeling, and what's important in his life.

Though the plot wasn't spectacular, I thought it was pretty good, and Mass makes some very good points throughout the book. I am more drawn, though, to that style of writing. It's fascinating to see how each individual character has hopes and fears. It's a good reminder to the reader that the world doesn't revolve around one person. Other people have feelings, too.

I recommend it to someone who feels like a pretty easy, yet very interesting, read. I must tell you, though, I believe the target audience is high-school girls. If you are not a member of that audience, you might give it a try anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, May 24, 2009
This review is from: Leap Day (Paperback)
February 29th, Leap Day, has been a big part of my life for a while. My youngest brother was born on Leap Day when I was 9 year old, so we've been teasing him...pretty much ever since. When I saw Wendy Mass's Leap Day pop up on Amazon's bargain books, I grabbed it. It sounded like a fun title and my students can't get enough of Mass's books. I didn't realize how much I was going to enjoy it, too!

Josie Taylor is a "leaper", one of the few people in the world fortunate to be born on Leap Day. As she tells the reader, there is a 1 in 365 chance of being born any other day of the year, but only a 1 in 1461 chance of being born on Leap Day. It's the day of her 16th birthday, and her fourth "real" birthday. She has a day of celebrations to look forward to, like her free pizza from Dominos (do they really give away free pizza for life to leapers?). What I love about the book is that you don't just experience the day from Josie's point of view. You experience it from the point-of-view of all different characters in her life. From her parents, to her best friends, her brother, to random kids in class at school- you get to be in all of their heads!

I'm a natural eavesdropper. I'm nosy, what can I say? So this book was perfect for me! In so many stories I am always wondering what the other characters are thinking and feeling. Wendy Mass has created my dream book.

This is more of a YA novel (though I wouldn't hesitate to include it in my 8th grade classroom). There is some mention of hooking up and other teenagerly activities. I do think my girls are going to love this, and I know it will garner more fans for Mass!

3.0 out of 5 stars Leap Day, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Leap Day (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't impressed. This book is definitely for teens. I am more of a preteen and thought it was a little inappropriate for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars miss o, May 18, 2005
This review is from: Leap Day (Hardcover)
Leap Day was a story about Josie Taylor, a 16 yr old celebrating her birthday, well actually she is really only 4 yrs old. She was born on February 29, which only comes around every four yrs. her birthday is a very eventful one. From going on a scavenger hunt to taking her drivers Ed test. The book chapters are split up into two sections. The first is from the point of view of Josie. The second is what really happened. Josie experiences many crazy things on her birthday but nothing will be as shocking as the secret that her best friend will tell her. I recommend this book to anyone who likes an adventure-packed book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED Leap Day, September 30, 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Leap Day (Paperback)
Leap Day was a creative book that I thought was really interesting because it let you see what the other people were thinking and that was what made Josie's (the main character) decisions really funny. I think that a lot of pre-teens and teens would like this book. I also reccomend Pretty Face and Heaven Looks A Lot Like The Mall. LEAP DAY IS DEFINITELY WORTH BUYING!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leap Day, December 6, 2005
This review is from: Leap Day (Hardcover)
Wow! Josie has one of the most crazy birthdays of all time! Jam-packed with tons of surprises, and a great way to show several different points of view. Recommended mostly for teen readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Teen Story, June 21, 2005
This review is from: Leap Day (Hardcover)
What would it be like to have your birthday on a leap day? In this book, you get the chance to find out. Our protagonist's life is like many other teenagers and she takes us through a fun-filled day. This is a young adult fantasy book. This is a great book. It has a great plot. It's a good read for seventh and eighth graders. The author's presentation style (first Josie's then other's points of view) offers opportunities to explore how others think ... and maybe a way to learn empathy, compassion, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for teens!, April 18, 2005
Tiger Student (Versailles, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Leap Day

By Wendy Mass

This book takes place on leap day. It is the main character, Josie's, birthday and since it is on leap day and only comes around every four years it is a lot more exciting for her. This year it is even more exciting because it's her sixteenth birthday, or really only her fourth. In this book it tells all the different things that Josie does on her birthday, but not only from her point of view. Every other chapter is other people's point of views.

One of the things that Josie does is gets her drivers licenses. She also tries out for the school play, which is called Romeo and Juliet. She has friends from around the country that were also born on leap day, and they all send presents to each other. After school Josie and her friends do a scavenger hunt. They drive all over town collecting the things on the list. One thing on the list is an undergarment that belongs to a teacher. To find out if they get that you'll have to read the book. Josie also has a huge crush on a senior, Grant Brawner. Another special thing that these girls do on leap day is the very important sweet-sixteen initiation at the lake. Josie is the first of her friends to turn sixteen, so she has no idea what is going to happen at the lake that night. But one thing that does happen is the dare that Josie completes. One very exciting thing about this book is a deep dark secret that Josie's best friend, Katy, reveals to her.

I really enjoyed reading this book because it's about a normal teenage girl and what she goes through. I would recommend this book to a girl before a guy since it's about a girl. One of my favorite things about this book was that it told what everyone else was thinking. Sometimes you wonder what people are thinking and sometimes you don't even know that certain people know you. In this book everything that others are thinking is revealed. So if your looking for a book to read, I recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Josie's DaY, January 14, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Leap Day (Hardcover)
This well written, mind-setting book, by Wendy Mass, is a great book about this young girl having her once every four years birthday. Her talent: acting. Favorite Class: Drama. Her name: Josie Taylor. Josie goes through a great day, without knowing what clues lie beneath eveything she unraps.

Josie is a well put teen that wishes that her birthday, be the best ever. While you read on and on, you see how her freinds think of her and what the go through. Later, the story just gets better.

I would recommend this book to anyone over 11. This insperational book reflects on how a normal teen can change in a moment. I hope one day, there can be more books this interesting and influncing. It also tells people that they should be who they are. And like Josie says "Tommorow, I'll wake up to a new day, being myself."

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book., July 4, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Leap Day (Hardcover)
I really loved this book. It's not one of the typical teen girl books with the characters all obsessed with guys and friends and popularity (and I'll admit, those books are good, too), but it tells the story of a girl's day in a really interesting way. While Josie (the main character) tells her story, we get a glimpse at the thoughts and future of those she affects during her day. I thought this book was wonderful and included just the right amount of her life and others. Also, the book isn't too eccentric that it becomes weird.

Leap Day
Leap Day by Wendy Mass (Paperback - September 6, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01