Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 22, 2013
First things first, I love this book and highly recommend it!
Now that I got that out of the way here is the fun part..
My beautiful Girlfriend and I are newbie liveaboards in Punta Gorda Fl where Ed and Kim spend a lot of time (When they are not at pelican bay or out on some adventure). We met them and enjoyed their tales about boating and life and when I found out that Ed wrote a book I had to get my hands on a copy. It's not only a manual about how to make the switch from land lover to liveaboard, but it also has very well written accounts of some of their first major trips on Leap of Faith that kept me up way to late, I kept telling myself just one more chapter! The book is full of motivating passages and practical advice about how to be happy with less. I really wish I had this book before I made my move, it would have made a big difference in my choices, but I am glad I got it while I am still relatively new to this.
All in all I really can't recommend this book enough, it is far more interesting than any other book on this subject that I have ever found. This book is a great book that you can't read just once and I hope Ed has more to come!
on April 6, 2014
It was going along interestingly. I have to admire the author for making a plan for his life and then executing the plan. That part of this short read is inspiring. However there were a few things about the book that lowered the quality.

First of all, there were numerous misspellings and other errors, particularly at the end of the book. Not uncommon in self-published books. I'm pretty used to it now. Some online bookstore called it well-edited and proofed. They obviously didn't read it. This should be fixed since it is an epub book. There really isn't any excuse.

Next, some will find the chapter where he pretty much goes all "Glenn Beck" very off-putting. He implies that the reason you should up and quit work is that the world has gotten so screwed up there isn't anything else logical to do. Well, maybe in one man's opinion, but there are many reasons one might enjoy cruising about. There have been doomsday prophets since the beginning of time and plenty of people heading off to the mountain top to await the implosion of society but it just doesn't happen. So skip that chapter. Several reviewers have pointed this out, but if you are like minded, read on. If not, skip that chapter. It's his book and he can write what he wants, but you don't have to read it. You have been warned.

Lastly, he kind of over-does the use of song lyrics to justify/illustrate his transformation. If you've ever listened to a Jimmy Buffet album (and who hasn't?) you can skip most of these. His favorite singer is a guy named Jim Morris and many of the quotes come from his songs. I don't know if Jim Morris or Jimmy Buffet came first but if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, somebody has been smooching someone's southern parts.

Anyway, it was a decent read but I've read better in a similar vein. I really enjoyed "Breaking Seas: An overweight, middle-aged computer nerd buys his first boat, quits his job, and sails off to adventure".
on March 2, 2014
The first few chapters were lightly entertaining and promised more, but there was only one sailing story, and it turns out he has a trawler and ends up complaining too much. He basically took the Dave Ramsey Financial Freedom Course and applied it to being a Boat Bum. Around chapter 20 he goes off on some tirade that is supposed to expose me to something, probably political. The only thing I got from the book is that I wasted $3.99 - don't make the same mistake. Oh and Jim Morris is no Jimmy Buffet.
on September 27, 2014
If you are looking for a book about someone burnt out from a middle management east coast job that decides to live on board a comfortably sized 36 foot MOTOR boat (no sail) with high maintenance and run costs.....who admits himself that he does not know that much about boating after about 20 chapters....that does not leave the Southwest Florida waters.... brags at long detail about drinking beer and rum at happy hour EVERY DAY....(while I am at it) brags about how awesome he and his life is at every opportunity…….berates the reader repeatedly for not making the same decisions...goes on stream of conscience mindless political diatribes...uses obscure text references from a Jimmy Buffet wannabe...publisher does not check spelling or grammar....shows little appreciation and respect for the Coast Guard and the man hours and costs they invested in a search and rescue to find him based on a little bad luck combined with lack of experience and poor communication….claims after 30 months "on water" (if you consider sitting in southwest Florida drinking rum and beer on a 36 foot house boat "on water") that he is an example for the masses aspiring to be life sailors.

You have found the perfect book.

If you are looking for a book of long year experience around sailing in any form, start-up and run costs of living on waters, check lists and voice of experience in choosing a sailors life, things done right, learning experiences from which others could benefit.

You should look elsewhere. I should have. If anyone has suggestions, please send a comment.

p.s. To be fair, "The Plan" of four steps to financial freedom is good common sense that everyone should consider. In my opinion, this should have taken no more than one chapter as part of the initial start-up and transition process of moving to a life on water. Not the primer for the whole book!
p.s.s. I admire the author’s love of his wife. Sincerely.
p.s.s.s. One plus, this book and the two hours it stole from my life has finally inspired me to post my first Amazon review after over a decade ++ as an Amazon customer. This book is really bad.
on March 16, 2014
Ed Robinson writes in his book, Leap of Faith, about how he has chosen a lifestyle of leisure and lackadaisicalness. The venue he espouses is a nautical one along the gulf coast of the sunshine state. He eschews commercialism, concern for domestic and foreign affairs, and the pattern of what he refers to as, “…an endless routine of work, bills, obligations and commitment,” remarking, “My only real obligations are to love and care for my wife and my vessel.”

Herein lies certain ironies. Ed lives aboard a 36 foot 1980 Blue Seas trawler style yacht. Vintage notwithstanding, the Average John Doe would have to do pretty much what Ed did in order to own a lien-free boat this size and afford the fuel consumption of a circa 1000 liter diesel tank. That is, stop buying stuff that isn’t an absolute necessity, pay off all debt, and get rid of superfluous assets.

And as for affairs of the state, to use the term in its broadest sense, some would say there is a certain oxymoronic quality to his premise that a serene and carefree anchorage is simply there for the taking. I might have missed it, but I don’t recall coming across any word of thanks anywhere in his book to the countless minions and masters in all walks of life that enable and preserve Ed’s opportunity to, dare I say, capitalize on his choice of alternatives. The fact that untold Coast Guard resources were not charged to him for several days he was incommunicado during his first significant blue water outing was as disappointing as his dismissing attitude; “The Coast Guard may have been glad that we were okay, but they seemed annoyed that we wasted their time. We hoped that wouldn’t send us a bill [sic].”

Ed repeatedly asserts both indirectly and directly, “You will never have true freedom until you are debt free.” This notion is a veiled red herring in a couple of ways. Metaphorically, it is arguable that we all share a certain recurring and continuous debt to society precisely for our various freedoms. I wonder why Ed miss-thinks that his only “real obligations” are the attentions he gives to his wife and his boat.

And in its most literal, tangible form, a debt is money that is owed to another in exchange for goods or services. In this vein Ed repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly refers to getting rid of credit card debt, mortgage debt, and all manner of personal loans, presumably all with an interest charge attached. In fact, except for interest charges, Ed cannot ever be truly, financially debt free. All that diesel, and other fuels of choice, such as his monthly rum consumption, in addition to the vast majority of essentials of daily living come at a charge. And I notice in a snippet on the internet that he has recently disclosed the reduction of his savings has prompted him and his wife to once again engage in money-making pursuits, i.e., Ed’s most distasteful four-letter word – work.

As to his expertise as a writer, this was almost worth the $3.99 e-book price, but only because it got me thinking, as they say. It was a short, easy read, not especially entertaining or informative, but it dealt with several subjects of personal interest, namely frugality, living in Florida, boating, and personal responsibility. Once in a while he revealed some creativity with a turn of phrase, but not often enough to demark a particular writing style. I was puzzled by the vitriol he directed toward Florida in chapter 24 of 25, save the immediate area he chooses to call home. The tenor of that chapter cast a pall on the more upbeat writing that preceded it.

As others have noted, I was struck by the number of typos (see the verbatim quote above about the Coast Guard). This is odd, given his employment history as I understand it.

Finally, Ed seems to be a critical thinker, but only to a point. The ironies and incongruities of his tale remind me of the nonsense some TV shows portray under the guise of presumed coherent scripts, shows that fail to perform to the expectations of the trailers enticing us to watch. This book will appeal to the masses, much the way Jesse Ventura once succeeded in occupying the Governorship of Minnesota. I didn't hate the book, but in my world of ratings a single star is all you get. I doubt I’ll ante up for anything more written by Ed, although I give him credit for trying, and continuing to try.
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2013
What a breath of fresh air. In today's world of full contact consumption it is heartening to know that there are those who have found a better way. A simple life focused on simple pleasures and the beauty of nature. There are powerful messages in this book for everyone. Concepts that will help you improve your life even if you choose not to pursue your dream on a boat. The wisdom is delivered in a light and enjoyable manner like advice from a close friend.
on February 18, 2014
Summary of book-
Sell everything
Stop buying stuff
Save , Save , Save
These are all good recommendations but apart from this advice I got very little out of the book.
on October 21, 2014
Sorry, author, I don't care about your "journey to self-fulfillment". I get it, you are living in a self-made paradise. But if you want people to join you you need more details than, "stop buying things, get out of debt, save, and live on the bare minimum." How about learning boat repair, and a helpful guide? How about tips to enjoying luxuries on the cheap? How about how I can have hobbies on a boat? How about a realistic budget for living in a boat, given considerations for diets greater than ramen noodles and mayonnaise sandwiches?
on September 24, 2013
I met these guys in Maryland at one of our Parrothead events. We instantly became friends, as we all shared the "dream". Little did I know, that they actually were gonna do it! While they made it to a trawler, we made it to a beach cottage here in Florida. We have followed their adventures over the last couple years and have crossed paths a handful of times. Until we are parted from our "herd" of dogs and cats, the boat adventure is on hold for us! Ed has eased our fears of boat dwelling with this book! While reading this book, I learned something new about Ed. He is a GOOD writer! His tales kept me engaged! I couldn't put the book down until I read it all. This book will give anybody who has ever thought to take the "leap" some great insight! Most impressive was the books ability to help prepare one to pursue this dream. My hats off to Ed and Kim, who are a couple of my modern day heroes!
on June 25, 2014
I liked the story and what the author was trying to accomplish. However was appalled at the number of spelling errors throughout the book. Simple things that are easily avoidable such as "out" instead of "our." Discredited the author entirely. Seems like purely a means to generate a quick buck in the hopes of sustaining the lifestyle the author describes in this book. Feel as though I should not have paid for a book that clearly has never been edited by a legitimate source. A simple "spell check" is not adequate in my mind. Amazon/Kindle should protect the quality of work it is supplying to its paying customers.