5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
Published 10 months ago by Thomas Crank

2.0 out of 5 stars Only adding to it!
There are a few things you can get from this book, pay off your debt and live frugally. Unfortunately it is mostly fluff. By buying the book, you at least make Ed and Kim's life a little easier, so they can continue to exist on the fringes of society.

Published 7 months ago by I. Lukens

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, September 15, 2013
Thomas Crank (Erlanger, Ky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leap of Faith: Quit Your Job and Live on a Boat (Paperback)
What a breath of fresh air. In today's world of full contact consumption it is heartening to know that there are those who have found a better way. A simple life focused on simple pleasures and the beauty of nature. There are powerful messages in this book for everyone. Concepts that will help you improve your life even if you choose not to pursue your dream on a boat. The wisdom is delivered in a light and enjoyable manner like advice from a close friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for us wanna be liveaboards!, September 22, 2013
First things first, I love this book and highly recommend it!
Now that I got that out of the way here is the fun part..
My beautiful Girlfriend and I are newbie liveaboards in Punta Gorda Fl where Ed and Kim spend a lot of time (When they are not at pelican bay or out on some adventure). We met them and enjoyed their tales about boating and life and when I found out that Ed wrote a book I had to get my hands on a copy. It's not only a manual about how to make the switch from land lover to liveaboard, but it also has very well written accounts of some of their first major trips on Leap of Faith that kept me up way to late, I kept telling myself just one more chapter! The book is full of motivating passages and practical advice about how to be happy with less. I really wish I had this book before I made my move, it would have made a big difference in my choices, but I am glad I got it while I am still relatively new to this.
All in all I really can't recommend this book enough, it is far more interesting than any other book on this subject that I have ever found. This book is a great book that you can't read just once and I hope Ed has more to come!

2.0 out of 5 stars Only adding to it!, November 27, 2013

The book will not give you any details about the boat, the daily/weekly/monthly/yearly finances involved in living on a boat (although he did mention that $60K could last for four years), or any of the actual nitty-gritty involved in maintenance, mooring, or navigation.

By the end, especially after his tirade on human foibles, I felt that he is just laughing at the rest of the world in a smug way and not really offering any real help in alleviating any pain, only adding to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dept Free I agree!!, September 26, 2013
"Leap of Faith" Quit your job and live on a boat
Ed Robinson

Book Review
Jim Baugh

Coming in at 128 pages this work could be considered a novella or a novel but best characterized as a memoir. With so much more subject matter to write about I can only hope Author Ed Robinson treats us with a second book!

This is a true story and one that I can relate to very well. In Ed's world, he and his lovely wife decided on their dream, sell it all, save, save, save, buy a boat and live on it, and do so in beautiful blue waters. Not a bad idea at all. Ed lays out their financial plan on how to get out of dept and live the freedom life of no worries, except how to keep the boat afloat.

Now, we all have certain expectations of a book before we read it. I figured this memoir would be chocked full of hilarious stories of giant sea faring characters that would keep you in stitches for the entire read. I am happy to say, that this is not one of those reads. It is much more!

To be honest, Ed it the nail on the head so hard in chapter 7, "Dept Free Equals Freedom" and chapter 8, "Save, Save, Save". I recommended everyone in the USA to buy this book and read it if for nothing else, these two chapters. If you follow Ed's brilliant advice, your life will be forever changed and all for the better. I can relate to this life strategy because I recently have done similar to what Ed has done. Rid myself of all dept, and not get back into the rat race of keeping up with the Jones. The book clearly lays out how ANYONE can get out of dept and live with forever freedom. This was a great read and think it is awesome that this couple changed their lives so positively by doing just some simple adjustments in how they live their life.

To be honest not everyone's life dream is to live on a boat. I did it on and off for 10 years. Five of those 10 years I lived aboard full time on a 36 foot Trojan. Living on a boat one certainly does meet a lot of interesting characters, many of which I wrote about in my novel HOOKED. It is an exciting life and yes, one will have a new found appreciation for weather, and a weather radio while living on your floating palace. The truth is that this story is of course interesting however readers should know that if you have no interest in the water at all, you still will find some very valuable lessons from reading these pages.

The underlying theme is about relationships and living dept free. In this case Ed and his wife Kim set a good example of how couples should behave towards each other regarding respect, love, communication and friendship.

I give Ed and Kim five stars for setting out a financial plan that works, working and living together in such a positive way, and faring seas that certainly can rock the boat.
There are some laughs in the book. My favorite was when Ed Realized that in real life, those boats that he was looking at on Yachtworld, don't look like they do in the pictures. WOW did that one hit home. Photoshop can make over any boat, just like new!

"Leap of Faith" is a memoir that will inspire and educate the reader, even if your life dream is to live in Kansas growing corn.

Available on Amazon.

Tight lines, Fair Seas,
Godspeed.

Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV
Author of HOOKED

5.0 out of 5 stars It kept me smiling from start to finish!, September 24, 2013
I met these guys in Maryland at one of our Parrothead events. We instantly became friends, as we all shared the "dream". Little did I know, that they actually were gonna do it! While they made it to a trawler, we made it to a beach cottage here in Florida. We have followed their adventures over the last couple years and have crossed paths a handful of times. Until we are parted from our "herd" of dogs and cats, the boat adventure is on hold for us! Ed has eased our fears of boat dwelling with this book! While reading this book, I learned something new about Ed. He is a GOOD writer! His tales kept me engaged! I couldn't put the book down until I read it all. This book will give anybody who has ever thought to take the "leap" some great insight! Most impressive was the books ability to help prepare one to pursue this dream. My hats off to Ed and Kim, who are a couple of my modern day heroes!

2.0 out of 5 stars Funny parts, but overall a waste of time, February 15, 2014
I read almost exclusively about sailing and really enjoy a well written account of sailing adventures. This book, while occasionally humorous, is really nothing more than Mr Robinson bragging about the fact that he lives on a boat and you don't. In fact, I almost stopped reading after the first couple of chapters, but kept on going, hoping that it would eventually turn around. It did have a few humorous passages – but then he wastes literally an entire chapter (or more) railing about what is wrong with American society. Looking for advice as you prepare to make the move onto a life on the water? Look elsewhere. Mr Robinson's advice is: sell your stuff, get out of debt, sell more stuff, don't buy more stuff, and then buy a boat.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, one chapter killed it, April 6, 2014
It was going along interestingly. I have to admire the author for making a plan for his life and then executing the plan. That part of this short read is inspiring. However there were a few things about the book that lowered the quality.

First of all, there were numerous misspellings and other errors, particularly at the end of the book. Not uncommon in self-published books. I'm pretty used to it now. Some online bookstore called it well-edited and proofed. They obviously didn't read it. This should be fixed since it is an epub book. There really isn't any excuse.

Next, some will find the chapter where he pretty much goes all "Glenn Beck" very off-putting. He implies that the reason you should up and quit work is that the world has gotten so screwed up there isn't anything else logical to do. Well, maybe in one man's opinion, but there are many reasons one might enjoy cruising about. There have been doomsday prophets since the beginning of time and plenty of people heading off to the mountain top to await the implosion of society but it just doesn't happen. So skip that chapter. Several reviewers have pointed this out, but if you are like minded, read on. If not, skip that chapter. It's his book and he can write what he wants, but you don't have to read it. You have been warned.

Lastly, he kind of over-does the use of song lyrics to justify/illustrate his transformation. If you've ever listened to a Jimmy Buffet album (and who hasn't?) you can skip most of these. His favorite singer is a guy named Jim Morris and many of the quotes come from his songs. I don't know if Jim Morris or Jimmy Buffet came first but if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, somebody has been smooching someone's southern parts.

Anyway, it was a decent read but I've read better in a similar vein. I really enjoyed "Breaking Seas: An overweight, middle-aged computer nerd buys his first boat, quits his job, and sails off to adventure".

2.0 out of 5 stars Promises much, delivers very little, March 2, 2014
Edwin Combs "Ed" (Zephyrhills, FL United States) - See all my reviews
The first few chapters were lightly entertaining and promised more, but there was only one sailing story, and it turns out he has a trawler and ends up complaining too much. He basically took the Dave Ramsey Financial Freedom Course and applied it to being a Boat Bum. Around chapter 20 he goes off on some tirade that is supposed to expose me to something, probably political. The only thing I got from the book is that I wasted $3.99 - don't make the same mistake. Oh and Jim Morris is no Jimmy Buffet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep this $10.00 in the bank, February 27, 2014
Rarely have I had such high hopes and then been so disappointed. The only thing of substance the author writes about is his love for his wife. Kudos for him on that measure. Otherwise it comes across as arrogant and boastful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very simple, February 18, 2014
Summary of book-
Sell everything
Stop buying stuff
Save , Save , Save
These are all good recommendations but apart from this advice I got very little out of the book.

Leap of Faith: Quit Your Job and Live on a Boat
Leap of Faith: Quit Your Job and Live on a Boat by Ed Robinson (Paperback - September 5, 2013)
$11.95 $9.08