4.0 out of 5 stars Really cute, funny date movie
Published on January 7, 2010 by A. Boston

3.0 out of 5 stars Just get her to Dublin in time.
I guess deep inside I am a fan of romcoms hoping that the high art of making good, funny, memorable romantic comedies would reborn one day in one of the plentiful attempts and that's why I keep watching new movies in this genre that the TV commercials announce as the best and funniest romantic comedy we ever saw. Not too much luck so far but one keeps hoping...
Published on May 16, 2012 by Galina

4.0 out of 5 stars Really cute, funny date movie, January 7, 2010
I love romantic comedies and got really excited when I recently saw the preview for Leap Year. I love Amy Adams and remembered Matthew Goode from a few other movies(Chasing Liberty, Watchmen, Match Point). Lately, there have been a lot of romcoms that don't do it for me, they're just lacking the heart, that certain something. Thankfully, Leap Year had heart, laughs and was just all around a well done movie. 24 hours after seeing it, my boyfriend and I were still talking about how much we liked it.

The premise is that Anna(Amy Adams) has been dating her doctor boyfriend for 4 years, they're buying an apartment together in Boston, and she wants to get engaged, but he hasn't asked. So she plans to surprise him in Dublin while he's away on business on the one day in Irish tradition that says the woman can propose to the man, Feb 29th of a leap year. Of course, her trip doesn't go as planned, and she ends up needing help getting to Dublin from Declan(Matthew Goode).

While predictable as far as romantic comedies go, it was fast paced, funny and romantic. We both really liked Matthew Goode's character and his sense of humor. He was excellent as a multi-faceted leading man. I love Amy Adams because she seems like a regular girl(funny, sweet, not a twig)and she was perfect for the role of Anna. The scenery of Ireland was gorgeous, and makes you want to take a trip there. Definitely a great date movie, worth paying to see.

Unfortunately, no good special features on the DVD, only some deleted scenes. I'm a sucker for "making of" featurettes and thought they might at least have done a little something about filming in Ireland. You'll only find a bare bones DVD here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leap Year Review, June 11, 2010
This review is from: Leap Year [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
LEAP YEAR

STARRING: Amy Adams, Matthew Goode, Adam Scott, John Lithgow and Noel O'Donovan

WRITTEN BY: Deborah Kaplan and Harry Elfont

DIRECTED BY: Anand Tucker

Rated: PG
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Release Date: 08 January 2010
Review Date: 26 May 2010

When Leap Year slid past me in the theaters from doing so horribly at the box office and being plagued by rumors that it was horrible; I wasn't all that let down that I missed it on the big screen. Having recently seen it on video, I was shocked at how amazing it was and wished I had gotten the opportunity to catch it in theaters.

The sensational Amy Adams stars as Ann; a woman so many women can relate to: she's dating a guy who may never commit. Her boyfriend of quite some time, Jeremy (Adam Scott) is far too consumed with bettering his career to even stop and consider marriage - let alone actually pop the question.

When Jeremy rushes off to Ireland for a career opportunity, Ana is left alone wishing there was something she could do. Upon hearing about an Irish tradition, she realizes there is something she can do. She can fly to Ireland and propose to Jeremy herself, as each leap year allots for this to be customary there.

If you are at all like me, you are already skeptical by the premise and if you've seen the trailer, it only adds to such skepticism. However, film works magic with its weak supposition and the trailer fails to provide it with any solitude.

Ana had no idea just how difficult it would be to track Jeremy down. Between being caught in nasty storms, missing trains and being barricaded by a heard of wild animals, it seems she may never reach her love. All is not lost though, as she is accompanied on these miss-adventures by her unbeknownst to her true, true love, Declan, played by Matthew Goode.

The two can't stand each other for the majority of the film, but we can see their underlying chemistry behind all their bickering. Soon enough, having shared a few moments, and after they let their guard down to one another, they will see it too.

Leap Year was written by the team who crafted such hits as Made of Honor and Can't Hardly Wait. And it has some of the best cinematography of the year, displaying magnificent shots of the Irish countryside that will have you booking a flight there during the movie.

This is the kind of film that evokes thoughts of fate and as a huge advocate for fate, I find this refreshing in films. If you've ever been touched by destiny in your life, then you know exactly what I am talking about. Sometimes we kick and scream at the sight of the path we find ourselves on, only to realize later, and sometimes much, much later, that it is in fact the path we prefer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Did a Wee Bit of Swoonin..., January 30, 2010
Leap Year is charming for several reasons. One. It is primarily set in Ireland and the lush scenery makes it visually delicious.

Secondly, the classic storyline is freshly retold. A girl who is on the cusp of living her perfect-for-her fairy tale life, lacks one thing, an engagement ring. Her charming, but irresponsible father, reminds her of an Irish tradition. Every leap year, a woman is able to propose to the man she loves and then her dreams will come true. It had worked for a member of Anna's (Amy Adams) family.

When Anna's cardiologist boyfriend fails to propose (oh, he delivers diamonds, but of the earring variety) the night before he leaves for a medical conference in Dublin, Anna decides enough time has passed and she'd grab hold of her dreams and use the Leap Year legend to make it happen. After all, Jeremy is already in Ireland, so there must be a wee bit of fate involved.

Finally, there is serious heart in this movie. Declan (Matthew Goode) plays the angry, wounded bartender who agrees, after a series of travel mishaps, to haul Anna to Dublin. Anna, determined to create the secure life she never had as a child, begins to break down Declan's walls. As the two interact, they soften towards each other and begin to understand one another. There are a couple of satisfying scenes when realization dawns and both actors silently emote feelings that can't be put into words. Leap Year is an old-fashioned romantic story that didn't involve sex first, love later or require a lot of four letter words to make a point. Comfortably PG.

Of course, this is romantic comedy/chick flick territory so there are predictable and yeah right moments. But when the movie is this sweet, does it matter where Declan got clean clothes that fit, or that the intelligent, savvy, extremely methodical Anna didn't think about electricity issues in Europe? Not at all. When this movie releases on DVD I will purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Laughs, April 2, 2010
This review is from: Leap Year (DVD)
This is one of the cleanest funny movies I've seen in a long time. Even with its predictable ending, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Tell me....why can't Hollywood make more of these movies instead of the garbage they usually make. Can't wait till it's released on DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Movie you can enjoy with your daughter, March 31, 2010
This review is from: Leap Year [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was so happy to find a romantic comedy that I could enjoy with my 11 year old daughter. We both loved it! Beautiful shots, great acting and fun story...nice, clean, romantic fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Leap before you look or look before you leap, January 11, 2010
Being Irish myself I was somewhat interested in checking out this rom com with Amy Adams, another excellent reason to see any movie.

So, legend has it that in Ireland a woman can propose to a man on the leap day of a leap year. When an anticipated proposal does not emanate from her doctor boyfriend, Anna hears of this legend and so she has to go to Dublin to propose. Imagine. Dublin.

So, Murphy's Law intervenes, and the flight gets diverted, to Wales, and to make a long story short has to take a really roundabout route to get there in a beat up old Renault 4, with an obnoxious yet somewhat charming Irish guy, who gives her no respect. And Murphy, well, he just keeps getting in the way, and will she even get to Dublin.

But, if you put a woman in a car with a charming Irish guy for any length of time, warm feelings can start to develop. So, things happen they way they do, and it's all done with great humor, the scenery is fantastic, it's like an Irish postcard at times. Amy Adams is amazing, and her costar, Matthew Goode is also excellent.

The one thing I will say is every Hollywood movie about Ireland has the obligatory cows blocking the road scene. It does happen, but come on.

I think you would really enjoy this movie, and I highly recommend it. If you like this type of movie, consider
The Quiet Man (Collector's Edition), with John Wayne and Maureen O Hara, really the classic of its kind, and The Matchmaker with Janeane Garofalo, and most recent Cecelia Ahern's movie P.S. I Love You with Hilary Swank.

Hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, June 24, 2010
This review is from: Leap Year (DVD)
Yes, as other reviewers have pointed out, this movie has been done a million times before. There's the uptight woman thinking she's in love with the perfect man (the overworked and neglectful doctor), but she finds that she's only in love with the image of being in love with a doctor- and along the way falls in love with the sarcastic and cyncial man who has been spurned by love in the past. Well then... why did I give this movie 5-stars? I can't pinpoint one particular aspect- the realistic and lovely perfomances and fantastic chemistry from Amy Adams (who I found unbearable to watch in Julie and Julia) and Matthew Goode (why isn't he a lead male more often?), the scenery and setting of Ireland, the catchy soundtrack, and the fact that even though it is a cliche, it didn't come across as one. I fell in love with the characters and their humor, and I find myself wanting to watch this movie more and more. I don't buy many DVD's, but I will be adding this one to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The DVD-What's NOT to like? It be GRAND!, May 9, 2010
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Leap Year (DVD)
SHE flies to Ireland for a "LEAPyear" proposal & meets a pub owner. Yes, predictable, BUT. The journey is so beautiful. Gorgeous in a romantic way, and breathtaking in a scenic way. Add humor and you have a perfectly delightful movie for any age, the whole family, to enjoy.

Declan (Matthew Goode-'Brideshead Revisited') is the pub owner who also, to save the local pub, of course, is hired to drive Anna (Amy Adams-'JULIE & Julia') to Dublin. Anna missed her flight destination by a country (a forced Wales landing) due to storms. For some reason, the boat Anna found to take her from Wales to Cork in the storm bypassed that port and went on to Dingle Peninsula. The good news is, because of the needed cross-Ireland travel viewers get to see the old-world charm of Dingle and the beautiful countryside along the way, through Tipperary, and eastward to Dublin.

Declan's Irish accent will have all the lassies a hankerin' after him.
Country scenes are absolutely Irish heaven.
Some awesome Irish music, but never enough.
The Caragh's Bar looks as authentic as can be, 'cause it tis.
I've been to Ireland twice, & after seeing this movie, remember the cows on the roads, sudden rains, B&B's, and wish to return.
You can almost smell the peat fire mixed with the damp plaster smell in the movie's B&B.
Subtitles and deleted scenes for DVD extras.
It be grand, indeed.

The scenery almost upstages the story, but not quite. It is like the crust on the shepherd's pie. It holds together the romance and humor.

A movie for every romantic, especially Irish romantics. Worth repeated viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leap Year, September 27, 2010
This review is from: Leap Year (DVD)
Charming romantic comedy. Irish scenery is beautiful. Can watch multiple times and still enjoy. Acting is very good. Amy Adams is great. Some food for thought in the movie: "I have everything I always wanted, but nothing I really need."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Leap, September 11, 2010
This review is from: Leap Year (DVD)
This was a delightful romantic comedy that I simply adored. I had seen Amy Adams in "Enchanted" and wanted to see how she'd do in a film that was not filled with so much fantasy. She certainly met all of my expectations in this film. Matthew Goode is also perfect for his role and the visuals and scenery are fantastic (if this is Ireland, then it truly is a verdant and beautiful country). I've already seen this movie 3 times and it's become one of my favorites. I heartily recommend it to all.

Leap Year [Blu-ray]
Leap Year [Blu-ray] by Anand Tucker (Blu-ray - 2010)
$14.98 $10.00