5.0 out of 5 stars If your preschooler loves your BlackBerry...buy this!
I have long been a fan of LeapFrog Products and both of my children have benefited greatly from their innovative and highly educational products.

Published on September 2, 2009 by A. Connor

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
We got this for our daughter's third birthday and I'd say it is ok. She enjoyed it a lot at first, but seems to have gotten somewhat bored by it. The games are fun and the graphics and sounds are cute (and I like that it has a volume control), but the screen can be very dark and hard to see in some light. Overall, it's not bad, but could be better.
Published on November 24, 2009 by Liz

5.0 out of 5 stars If your preschooler loves your BlackBerry...buy this!, September 2, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)

I bought this item yesterday and my 4-year-old loves it. We spent some time working on a few of the games and going through all of the letters and it does not disappoint. She was laughing out loud at some of the rhyming words for the letters and she feels like she has a BlackBerry like me, which is hilarious.

It also has the real QWERTY keyboard which is great since they will need to become familiar with it for real life.

I've given this company a lot of my hard earned cash over the last nine years but it has been worth it and all of the products can be passed down to other children.

This is one for the holiday gift list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy!, April 20, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)
I purchased this toy for my then 3year-old son (after a moderate amount of comparison and deliberation with similar toys) with the simple goal to help him learn the sounds of the letters better. We've been disappointed with toys that pretend to be adult "toys" but that just don't seem to fool him or make him want to play with them for more then a day or two. So I was skeptical and had low expectations of how well it would entertain him. And to be honest, he barely touched it for the first month he owned it (it was a Christmas present though so he was busy playing with new trains, vehicles, building blocks, and such). Then one day, (because of it's size: it fit in my purse) it went on a doctor's visit with us. And that was it.

I took the time to show him what buttons did what and how to bring up different functions (he remembered a couple) and he has loved the toy ever since. He likes to keep it in the car now and he plays with it almost every day when we're all driving home from work/daycare (which can be a pretty cranky time for him so yay!). He'll also play with it in the morning when he wakes up on the weekends if we put it by the bed after he falls asleep and give us a little extra time before we have to get up.

Educationally, I like this toy as much as he likes it for being fun. He is delayed with his language so I like that it helps him with his letter sounds while playing. We sometimes expand on it and make up our own silly combinations... well, we do but he laughs at them and repeats them, which is the important part. As he gets older, he'll be able to contribute too and we'll be able to really make a game of it. I like that as he gets older and understands more, there will be new functions he'll be able to use on this toy (like the game mode) so it will continue to help him learn and be fun for him for a long time. As a parent, I love toys that have a long play life!

So far this toy has been pretty durable. It has been dropped on concrete and had a 35 lb child stand on it several times without any damage. In general I have been happy with the quality of Leapfrog products and this one is no exception. It is a great toy, both for children and parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this toy, October 19, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)
I bought this for my 20 month old daughter and she absolutely loves it. My daughter loves daddys laptop, cell phone, and game systems. I bought her this and it keeps her entertained long enough for me to get things done. Its, by far, her favorite toy and she doesnt let anyone play with it. I was really happy when I saw her playing by herself one day with the toy. She kept pushing the same button over and over and she would try to repeat what it was saying. This almost reminds me of those old Speak N Spells from way back in the day. Its quite durable and has proven that it can take a beating. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of learning and role play fun..., August 3, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)
My 3 year old loves the games and the character Scout. She doesn't even realize she is learning as she plays and helps Scout out with his missions. The toy is very durable and the screen is nice and large. SHe is learning the alphabet and thinks it is a phone like mine (blackberry phone). Cute..;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it!, November 1, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)
I have 3 year old twins and this is a great little toy to remind them about all of the letters of the alphabet. It is very easy to use and understand. They keep them in their beds and take them in the car. It is also durable - they drop them all the time and the computers still keep working :)
The price is right - very inexpensive way to learn the alphabet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!!, November 14, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)
I bought this toy for my 21 month old grandson. Debated buying it after reading some negative reviews but since he loves Mommy and Daddy's blackberries figured how far wrong could I go? Well, this toy has been a big hit and is one of his favorite toys. It has a keyboard that is the same as Mom and Dad's. My concern was the poor display screen written about in other reviews but this doesn't seem to be a problem for him. He is young but is able to push letters and says the name of the letter and is so happy when he gets it right. As he gets older he will learn to do the other activities the toy offers. It has been a tremendous help in his learning to recognize the site and names of the letters. He loves the doggie -- we are now teaching him that the doggie's name is Scout. The toy holds his attention for longer than most toys and he keeps going back to it. This is the first Leap Frog toy that I have purchased but will now be a loyal customer of the company. It is a toy that is wonderful for the two year old (or slightly younger) and a toy that will grow with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, November 24, 2009
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay - Leapster is a better investment..., January 27, 2010
B. Bechtold (Boiling Springs, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)
I got this for my 3 year old but honestly, it doesn't capture her attention for very long. There are only 2 games and they are so very basic. Her sister got a Leapster 2 for Christmas and she got this but I'm now wishing I would have gotten her a Leapster too as she plays her sisters ALL the time! On the few times she does pick this up, it's only for a few minutes and then she goes to her sisters Leapster. I love Leap Frog and am a big fan of their toys as we have a lot of them. This is probably my least favorite :( It's a cute idea but just not all that. I would recommend this for maybe a 2 year old instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner, January 6, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)
I have an almost 6 year old and an 18 month old that got this for Christmas. They both fight over it which I didn't expect. The older one doesn't learn anything from it because he already knows his letters, sounds, and how to read/write basic words but he still has fun with the toy anyway. He especially likes pushing "k" because it shoes the character karate kicking the letter k lol. And he likes the texting feature. His first text that he sent was "I love you". My younger one is the other range of the toy... he doesn't really know what he's doing he just likes pushing the buttons and hearing the signs and music that follow. He will eventually start to pick up on the letters though. His brother learned his letters using the fridge phonics (by leapfrog also) while I cooked. I'm a big fan of leapfrog toys (except the leappad that didn't want to work). Now don't expect most children to like this toy after the age of maybe 4? Mine is just easily amused :P But for the younger ones, they'll like it. And it doesn't even have a scratch after my youngest repeated throws it when he's done. On sale, it's definitely worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this!, April 8, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Text and Learn (Toy)
I like that this has a QWERTY keyboard and is small. Most items that I have found that teach the proper keyboard are larger play computers. This is small enough that it can go in Mom or Dad's bag for when you need a distraction and you just can't bring bigger toys.

This is not as fancy as a Leapster, but the benefit is that there are no cartridges to lose or damage. It is all self-contained. It is for children who do better with fewer selections so that they can master the content/ how to use the electronic device. If your child has been inundated with electronic stimulus since birth and are already playing "World of Warcraft" on their Nintendo, they are obviously not going to have a high tolerance for the understated graphics. :-)

LeapFrog Text and Learn