1,793
Color Name: ScoutProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$15.49 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 5, 2015
Color Name: VioletProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
My son has had Scout for about 2 years and he loves it. So when a friend's daughter needed a birthday present, we decided on Violet. When Violet arrived, I attempted to customize, and I noticed some significant differences with the newer model.

1) NO CHEST HEARTS. They have removed the button on the chest, which contained most of the "feelings." That's the button that is pressed when you hug Scout/Violet, and now when you hug it, nothing happens.

2) NO CUSTOMIZABLE SONGS. With Scout, we had the option to choose from several different songs, including Christmas songs. The new version doesn't give you that option. You're stuck with whatever songs come by default.

3) NO USB CORD. This is actually a good thing, since you don't have to look for a USB cord to customize. Instead, you plug the attached cord into your phone or computer's headphone jack. This is probable the only improvement in the new version.

4) LARGER BATTERY PACK. The new version's battery pack is larger than the old version's, and it's harder to stuff into the toy's back. And when it's in, it's easier to feel, making Violet less enjoyable to squeeze. After 2 years, Scout's back velcro is wearing out a bit, and I imagine that the new version will be even less durable since there's more pressure on it. The velcro opening is actually larger in the new version, but it just opens higher up on Violet's neck, though the battery pack is too large to fit in that space.

Still, it's a fun toy, but I'm disappointed that Leapfrog would change the product for the worse.
review image review image
on November 19, 2014
Color Name: ScoutProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging
The 2014 version that you program via an audio jack is garbage. Don't expect to customize this version.
Leapfrog website still links you to download software that connects to the previous versions via usb cable.
Step 3 of the leapfrog.com/myscout2 doesn't work.. I've tried 3 different laptops and two smartphones. After poking around online I've learned that several other people have had issues with this also.. Do yourself a favor and try to find the old usb version.

Leapfrog should be embarrassed by this garbage
on December 7, 2012
Color Name: VioletProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging
By 'customizing' you are able to chose songs, favorite animal and color etc from a list. I was under the impression that you got to load any audio onto it, which mattered to me because we speak another language, and weren't able to use the toy for that purpose. Also, the customization process is made more complicated than necessary, I don't want to have to fill out a survey, give my personal information, let them know about my child, get emails, and download a new application just to change 'mary had a little lamb' to 'old mc donald' - it's advertised that the customization ability is what makes the toy unique, in reality its just a bear with audio and the customization is a gimmick to get your personal information.
on March 13, 2012
Color Name: ScoutProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
First off, this is a great toy. I have one and everyone else I personally know who has one loves it. It quickly becomes a baby/toddler's favorite toy.

For those negative reviews complaining about the inability to customize it, I'd say it's more due to user error than the toy. There is a plastic tab that clearly says you must remove it in order for customizations to be enabled. Then you have to make sure it's turned ON and properly connected at BOTH ENDS of the USB cable. Also remember that you must have downloaded the correct software version (MAC or PC - yes it IS compatible with both), registered an account and logged in. If you don't do all of these, you won't be able to personalize Scout, so don't blame the dog and give him one star. It's not his fault!

The USB cable that is provided is very short, but that's probably so it can be stored inside Scout's velcro pouch in his back when not in use. I would advise against that with an infant, though, because of the risk of them being able to pull him open and chew on the cable and potentially choke on it...not very likely as the velcro is pretty good, but it's a possibility to consider and a risk not worth taking. If you find the cable is too short to conveniently connect while programming Scout, you can use ANY mini-USB to USB cable - you're not stuck using the one that says "leapfrog.com" on it. For example, my TomTom USB connector works just fine with Scout.

Some reviewers complain that Scout is loud and can't be adjusted. There is a VOLUME SWITCH in his back! USE IT! Some complain there is no way to turn him off. He goes into a sleep mode by himself after a while. If that's not good enough, there is an OFF SWITCH in his back. USE IT!

All in all, Scout is a great toy. Once he's programmed, he can play learning games, talk about favorite foods, play music, and address your child by name (which they love).

Don't believe the negative reviews about Scout not working or not being able to be customized. The instructions couldn't be any easier than they are on the box. REMOVE THE DEMO TAB! Make sure you've downloaded the correct software appropriate for your computer, PLUG HIM IN, register your account, login, and you can then program him with your child's information (name, birthday, favorite stuff, choose music for him, program the duration of sleep music, etc.). We're happy with Scout and you will be too as long as you follow the instructions. It's not hard.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 26, 2013
Color Name: VioletProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Everything on the box is Spanish. The instructions indicate that one can use the computer to switch over to English. This was not at all clear. This is NOT Violet it is Violeta. It is rather aggravating to have this shipped directly as a gift and find all of this out from the recipient.
This applies to My Pal Violet sold by "A Foundation for Kids."
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Linda!

If the device your recipient received was Spanish it can not be switched to English. We suggest returning the product through Amazon, and in the future making sure to order through LeapFrog directly on Amazon and not a 3rd party vendor. We are unable to control what 3rd party vendors claim and deliver, however ordering directly through LeapFrog on Amazon can help avoid this confusion in the future.
on October 18, 2012
Color Name: ScoutProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging
We've had a My Pal Violet for close to three years. She's still in perfect working order. My toddler has had a My Pal Scout for less that a year. Our Scout is completely dead. It was a gradual progression: First, he forgot the personalization. Then it started cutting out while playing songs and would start barking randomly. We swapped batteries twice before giving up on it.

I tried contacting Leap Frog just to see if they'd do anything. We have had such great luck with their other electronic toys. I can't tell you how many times my kids have dropped the Leaptop and it's still fine. I heard absolutely nothing from the company. I wouldn't mind them just saying they don't guarantee the products after the 90-day warranty but that they didn't respond at all is pretty disappointing. Why give your customers a way to contact you if you aren't going to respond?

It's a shame. My son really loved this toy. We might buy another one but for now we've been getting by with letting him play with his sister's Violet. At 3.5, she's pretty well lost interest in this thing.

Side note: The one thing that has always driving me crazy about these toys is that you cannot really clean them. Stuffed animals need to be machine washable! I know there are little electronic bits to worry about but with all of the other great things Leapfrog does, you'd think they could find a way to make this item easier to clean. It is not fun trying to get the remains of an diaper leak out of these things!
on January 20, 2013
Color Name: VioletProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
If you own this toy, you probably think it is insane to give it 1 star. It IS one of my daughter's favorite toys. That is GREAT in the beginning. She loves the songs, loves to bring it everywhere with her.

The problem, as many will discover, arrives one day when you need to clean the toy because it looks awful and does not smell great. It is a toy for a baby and toddler. It is going to go through some ROUGH times if your child drags it everywhere.

So, you will probably be like me and prepare to throw it in the wash. Most electronic toys have a pop off back, that unplugs and you throw it in the wash and re-plug it when the animal is washed.

I unscrewed the back, but did not see how to detach it. The entire mechanism is held on by cloth, so I cut through the cloth and discovered tons of wires. I dismantled the other side of the box only to discover that the 20+ wires are all sodered onto the control panel. So, I COULD clip them all and spend hours re-soddering them later . . . but I just do not have the time or patience for that. I have tried wiping it down, but the stains and smells NEED to be washed out.

So, less than a year after purchasing, the toy is almost useless.

Poor, poor design.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 18, 2009
Color Name: ScoutProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I have a three year old son who just loves this puppy. We programed the puppy and my son lights up every time he hears his name. He even answers the puppy when he talks. Puppy (that is what my son calls him) will ask Brenden if he wants to play and my son says "yes", when puppy says Hi Brenden my son will say "hi". Just love it, puppy goes every where with him. Since my son has a not very popular name, this toy is awesome in saying his name. Even though the toy is rated for age 6 months to 36 months, my son is almmost 39 months old and loves this toy. Great Price too!

The usb cord is short but not a problem with plugging into the laptop. Since it is only used to program the puppy, it's not a big problem.

I would like to hear more songs with words rather then just a beat. The do spell out the child's name in a song and would be better if they repeated the name at the end of it, but my son still loves it. The puppy says snuggle a lot and would be better if the puppy would say hug instead. My three year old didn't fully understand the snuggling part, but he is catching on quickly.

I am going to buy a few more for my younger nephews, since it is such a big hit with my son and both of my nephews have uncommon names too! So this will be a great christmas gift. LeapFrog My Pal Scout
on December 26, 2012
Color Name: ScoutProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
My Grandson received one of these for Christmas. This review is primary to let people know that it comes with crappy software that requires a reboot to install, may crash your computer, and that attempts to collect marketing info by requiring a Leapfrog account.
on November 22, 2009
Color Name: VioletProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
Great toy, but we had issues with setup. Violet would not register as being connected to my computer so I could not run the setup to program my daughter's name and favorite things. I randomly tried another USB cable and it worked PERFECTLY. If your toy does not connect at first, try another cable. I used the one from my digital camera. It is not ideal that part of the toy did not work, but [...] I can't complain when it is such an easy fix!