Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LeapFrog Letter Factory Phonics
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Toy|Change
Price:$125.89 - $708.26

on March 3, 2013
I purchased these for my twin 3-year-old nieces because they love playing with our original version (the Fridge Phonics) whenever they come to visit.

Pros:
1) Good quality
2) Fun sounds/music
3) Really work well to teach children the letters and the sounds they make
4) Bucket is nice for storing the toy

Cons:
1) I actually prefer the Fridge version. My 5 and 6 year old boys and now my 15 month old baby all have played with it a ton on the fridge in the last few years. I credit it with really helping them learn their letters and sounds. And the batteries have lasted FOREVER. It's nice for them to play with while I'm in the kitchen.

This bucket version is pretty much exactly the same as the old Fridge version that we have, but it doesn't stick to the fridge. Because of that, I can imagine they will probably lose some of the letters. But the music, the way it works, and the quality are otherwise the same as our old version, so that's why I gave it 4 stars. I hope this helps!
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2012
My daughter got a gift card to TRU for her 2nd bday; we used it to purchase this toy! We had previously been fans of THE LETTER FACTORY video and decided it would be a good toy to use in connection to watching the video. First of all I have to say my daughter can spend hours plugin the letters into the slot. Once the letter is plugged it says the sounds of the letter (including the double sounds). I've noticed a huge improvement in letter recognition and pronunciation within the first few days of using it. I absolutely recommend this toy!
on October 25, 2012
This is very durable toy and I love that it sings the alphabet over and over when you press the main button. Not a fan of having to pick up all the letters all the time but love that there is a box to store it in and that it locks in place.
44 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2013
We purchased this for our daughter for her second birthday, last week, and she loves this! She has played with it LOADS over the last week - every day. All of our kids (even as old as 7 yrs) love this, and they have played with this tons each day. Our 2 yr old has used it as it is intended, as well as coming up with creative ways to play with it (i.e. using the top piece as a phone). Our son enjoys using the base to "scoop" the letters up, and they all enjoy the songs and rhymes on it...this was an excellent choice for our daughter and we're glad we discovered it in time! I highly recommend. The only downside is that Tad doesn't sing the alphabet correctly on it...he sings the whole thing until the end, but doesn't do the ending that everyone knows "next time won't you sing with me" part...other than that, it's a great toy and has entertained four kids all week...also, I am now hearing my baby saying the letters and sounds they make, so definitely educational...
on June 20, 2013
It is a cute toy...it works fine...and I like that it says the letters correctly. The one drawback which makes it "ok" is the bucket is top heavy due to the speakerbox top...for little ones trying to get it out, it tips over and there goes all the letters.
on November 20, 2012
This was meant to be a Christmas present, but little guy's having a crappy week with RSV and pinkeye (sigh, daycare) so we opened this up to give him a nicer morning.

Short version is he loves it. The age range says 2+, which is probably a little more fitting (little guy is 13 months adjusted and has a hard time getting the letters into the slot without assistance, although he's perfectly able to take them out.) He likes to push the button so the letters will talk, and he LOVES the yellow button that sings the alphabet -- he'll sing along (in nonsense babbles, super-cute) and does that bouncy dancing thing that babies do.

It's already endured some smacking with a mixing spoon and seems to hold up to it just fine. It doesn't "feel" flimsy or anything like that; he's a little young for this toy but the short version is it seems durable, it's cute, it works, and he already enjoys what he can manage to do with it.

And the letters make a pleasing (to him) sound when he bangs them together, which he's already done plenty of. Extra win.
on December 27, 2012
I have 2 children ages 12 and 9...then we started over and have a 1yr old.

I had the original magnetic version for my older two, we loved it! So I ordered this set, I actually thought I might like it better since it came with a "case" instead of having to have a magnetic board for her(stainless appliances are non-magnetic). The quality is NOT the same! These are cheapy plastic letters and while they perform the same functions, they just don't feel the same. I gave my first children's set to a family friend a few years back and now I am wishing that I didn't.

So while I truly appreciate the educational value of this product and use it everyday with my daughter, the old saying holds up...sometimes new and improved is not so improved. We would've preferred to pay an extra $10 and get the "old/non-improved" version for sure!

However, if I was a first time mom or a first time user of the product, I might not be quite so critical, I just know what they used to be...and it wasn't this cheap plastic that I have now.
on March 27, 2013
my 2 yr old likes putting the letters in and out of the lid this is a messy toy sometimes because first thing he does is dump them out they are kind of small so its hard to keep track once he gets playing with them also I wish they worked with the other leap frog letter toys like the fridge magnet
on May 9, 2014
So you may love these if you never used or bought the fridge ABC set.

I used to own the magnetic set and they were quality and great! Held up for many kids throughout my family and ended up at my sisters house... so I thought I'd be kind. I let her keep them and bought a "replacement'... WRONG!

These are cheaply made and horrible in comparison. The lid doesn't like staying on and the plastic pieces are hollow and feel like they cost one cent to make the whole set! I hate these!
LeapFrog consistently has the best educational toys, of any brand. We've loved every LeapFrog product we've tried.

And, I agree with all the positive reviews here - this is a great product, durable, comes with it's own storage, etc.

But this is definitely lower quality than previous LeapFrog products (in a variety of ways), which makes me wonder if they're cutting corners:

* The letters are NOT interchangeable with any of our previous LeapFrog purchases. That really bites, since that's one reason we buy LeapFrog, and this is the first product where the letters don't fit other products.

* The letters are just a *hair* smaller (like, 1/4"), so they don't work in any other games or toys. Why would they do this? Is this a case of intentional obsolescence?

* Also, the letters are cheaper (thinner plastic, etc) and NOT magnetic. Every other letter game uses magnets, to stay in place on the toy, and so they can be used on the fridge, etc. Example of cutting corners?

* The other alphabet toys come with upper-case and lower-case letters. This one only has upper-case letters.

* Finally, all the other LeapFrog products have multiple games/multiple songs. This only has ONE song (the alphabet song) in addition to saying the letters out loud when you snap them into place.

I wish I had seen & tried it before we bought it. I still give it a thumbs up, but it doesn't "wow" me like our previous LeapFrog purchases.