While this is a cool idea that works, it does cause problems. This works great to put your
iPhone in, and then let your toddler run around and take photos, however first you have to
take your phone out of it 's protective case to put it in the camera case. Then you have to
Published 7 months ago by Enchanted In Dixie

3.0 out of 5 stars A camera shaped case for your iPhone
Published 10 months ago by M. B. Walters

3.0 out of 5 stars A camera shaped case for your iPhone, September 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This toy has potential and I loved playing along with my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter as she explored all the options the downloadable app had to offer. But first you'd better be OK with giving up use of your iPhone when your little one wants to play with this as while the phone is in the case, you won't be able to answer calls, check messages or anything else you usually do. The toy is actually just a plastic case shaped like a large camera. It has a pretend lens on the front and a hole to the lower left of that where the real lens of your phone is aligned. There is an opening on the backside where you screen is accessible and a button on the top that lines up with the button on the side of your phone to push to take a picture. In other words your phone is what is doing the work here, and you better have plenty of space for pictures on there if the kids really start to have fun with it. Also, the screen is exposed so they can use the app, so you won't want to let them roam the backyard or anywhere else you're hesitant about them taking your phone. If you have a protective case on your phone, it has to be removed before you place it in the "camera" too. The app that makes this so much fun, is actually free as a download in the iTunes App Store. For full functionality of the app you have to buy the case and take a picture of the bar code inside it to unlock the app, but the case itself doesn't do anything to enhance the app. I really liked the mini photo book you make by looking for shapes and letters to take a picture of. It's a scavenger hunt that promotes preschool skills like letter recognition. I think there are other apps you can download to use your phone camera that would be just as much fun for the kids. I got this because my granddaughter is always pretending to take pictures of everyone. I'd gotten her a toddler digital camera before but the picture quality was horrible, I thought this would be much better. In some ways it is, but overall I'm very disappointed. I feel like this case is just a gimmick. I think I'll look into a real camera, an inexpensive one, that my budding little shutterbug can use without jeopardizing Grammys phone and that we can then download the pictures into my iPad when she wants to edit and review her pics --- unless I can find something else out there. This one is OK but it sure doesn't fill the bill.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd expect from LeapFrog, December 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I personally found this to be a stupid toy. The kids in my family are smart, and normally I just love LeapFrog products, but this one doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
It's a camera shaped plastic holder for an iphone that lets the child take pictures using the i-phone and then get creative with putting stamps and stuff on the pictures.
It's cute enough. Sturdy enough. Works well. I give it a 3 because it is a sturdy, safe toy.

That said, you have to put your iphone in the case and let your child use it. It's not waterproof, and it's not shatterproof, so you probably won't want to give your expensive phone to a child that might throw it out a car window or into the pool.
Now, I'm thinking if the child is old enough to trust with something like this, then the child is probably- if they are like the kids I have raised and cared for- they are just going to be old enough to use the real deal without the baby case. I have a 5 year old nephew who's already taking pictures with an i-touch and then using a website to get creative with them. Why dumb it down? To me if the child is smart, this might just dumb things down for them, which is why I'm not rating this toy any higher. My own child was using Photoshop when he was 5 or 6, not well, mind you, but the rate at which kids learn even the professional graphics programs, by themselves- it's not to be underestimated, and I think LeapFrog has done that with this toy. I'd rather just spend the money and get a child a cheap, low end stand alone digital camera if they were 5 or 6, and just let them play with other things until then.

3.0 out of 5 stars Aggravating if you typically keep your iPhone in a case..., December 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As the mother of a 3 1/2 year old daughter, I have experience with a wide variety of toys. This is, hands down, the most aggravating toy that she has ever had.

Like many people, I keep my expensive iPhone in a protective case. I use an Otterbox Commuter case, which is a huge hassle to remove and reinstall. This LeapFrog camera case can't be used if you have a regular case on your iPhone, which makes it necessary for me to remove and reinstall the Otterbox case each time that she wants to play with the LeapFrog case with my phone. Needless to say, that is a pain to do.

My daughter loved this LeapFrog camera case, and took delight in taking photos all throughout the house. However, it got mysteriously "lost" about a week after we received it. Hopefully my child doesn't go searching underneath my bed anytime soon. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, if you intend to let your toddler play with your iPhone and take pictures, November 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
figure out how to get this new loved toy away from your toddler who now thinks the
phone camera is his.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute toy, November 17, 2013
I got this for my 2 year 10 month old granddaughter, who loves taking pictures with it. I put my iPhone 4S into this case, and then the shutter button on the case enables the phone to take pictures. You have to download an app to do this. The app works just fine without the case, but the case is what makes this fun.

Although it's easy to take my iPhone 4S in and out of the LeapFrog case, I first had to remove the protective case I keep my phone in. So unless you're prepared to do that, the LeapFrog case won't work.

In addition, when your phone is in the LeapFrog case there is no way to answer calls, check email, send texts, surf the web, etc. In other words, it's just like not having your phone.

The pictures can be edited, there are ways to make funny pictures, and everything can be saved to the Photo Gallery on my phone. However there is a 30mb limitation on how many pictures the app can store, so you need to periodically delete pictures or the app will stop working.

For the price I think this is a cute toy that is definitely fun for my granddaughter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Software is buggy, December 27, 2013
Aside from the complaints about putting your phone in this and the hassle of removing the phone from your case, the software app that you download crashes. Then you have to remove it from the case and either close the app or restart it. After you get it going again, you have to put it back in the camera case.

What a pain. Glad I didn't pay more than $5 for this.

My 4 year old daughter uses an old iPhone 4. So we do not use our own iPhones for this toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat pointless., December 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I see no real purpose for this, other than to hand more of your money over to a toy company. Your phone is still doing all of the work. The "camera" just serves as a case and of course there is an app to download and use .. on your phone.. since your phone is still doing all of the work.

The case itself feels cheap. I thought the green sides would be rubberized and more durable, but they aren't. It's just hard plastic all the way around the case. The piece of thin flimsy plastic that covers the screen can be popped right out.

While the app has some nice features and cool stuff to do with pictures, I just find this toy pointless. I would much rather hand my phone to my kid with the Lifeproof or Otterbox etc and allow them to use it that way. You can download all sorts of photo apps and games for free anyway, so why add the bulk of this case just to use an app? You can use the LeapFrog app without the case on too, although when you first setup/install they do make you take a pic of the barcode inside the case to prove that you own it.

I would not recommend for anyone to waste their money on this. It is bulky and cheap and serves no real purpose. If you have a good case for your phone, it should be pretty safe as it is. There are tons of apps to download for pics without needing to buy a cheap camera toy case to go along with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars You have to give up your phone..., November 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Essentially this is a hard case for your phone that works in conjunction with a photo app. To use the full functionality of the app you have to have the camera case. Its a fun way for your child to explore taking pictures, but it can be difficult to get your phone back from your child. If your iphone is in a protective case, you need to remove it before placing it into the camera as would be expected. The app is fun with some a built-in a game, fun face editor and photo album. However, if the app's novelty does not wear off good luck answering that phone call!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, July 3, 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog Creativity Camera App with Protective Case, Pink (Works with iPhone 4/4s/5 and iPod touch 4G) (Toy)
I bought this thinking it was useful by itself. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything that requires an Iphone written anywhere in the description. You can't use this by itself and have to hand over your iphone to whatever toddler wants to use it. Total waste! it uses your camera phone...silly design and useless toy

4.0 out of 5 stars cool phone add on, June 22, 2014
My daughter loves this iPhone add on. Comes with a free app that you can download from the app store. She loves how you can customize all the pictures and make them silly. I would definitely recommend this to all the parents .

Rate and Discover Movies