Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 10, 2008
My 4 year old seemed to get the "phonics" of individual letters, and even the "books" we made together of simple words she knew, or learned as time went on (cat, mat, hat, etc-- with pictures of each).

She balked initially at reading these books........but she liked the easy reader system "reading" it to her......then she discovered she would get a ribbon for 4 book set she read.

Now, armed with a sense of mission, she went from reading individual words to reading sentences. She zoomed through the 3 set system (12 books) of the LeapFrog Easy Reader phonics kits in about 2 weeks.

So - never underestimate the power of a silky ribbon! :-) (or the kids that like them!).

Worth mentioning: We did not use the phonics "cards" that came with it.
We simply read the books with the reader, then without the reader.
After she completed the first set, i had her read the books herself without the reader. It helped her immensely!
on December 12, 2010
The description never mentioned LeapPad but you need it. We don't have a LeapPad. So it is basically just some books for the price. I am pretty disappointed.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2007
My daughter drove 13 hours home after visiting for Christmas and this kept my grandson occupied all the way home. He loves it and it helped so much with his phoenics and much more. Highly recommend. My grandson was 3 years old.
on December 18, 2010
This was a great deal..however I did not know it requires a leappad learning system to work ($60). No where in the description does it say that it needs the system to work. My twins (4) are very disappointed. We're hoping to find one at a local child's resale shop.....
on July 17, 2015
This is for the old leap pad and my daughter is 20 months old. She is just starting to learn to use the system.