1,502 Reviews
 (1,125)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Potential with Online Customization
My year old son got this for his birthday and although he loves it and it is a neat toy, it really could have been technically executed a little better. I am hoping they send out updates via the USB cord to make his speech a little bit smoother and that they enhance the variety of "elevator" music available

The USB cable that comes with Scout is incredibly...
Published on June 2, 2009 by Emily M. Vose

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Concept, But Not Durable
Published on September 22, 2010 by Emerald

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Potential with Online Customization, June 2, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Scout (Baby Product)

The USB cable that comes with Scout is incredibly short and I would recommend a second mini USB cable if you do not already have one for another computer peripheral. The customization process was straight forward and we had him done quickly. My only complaint is that you have to create a user account and the Internet is required but that's a minor compliant since Scout ships able to be interactive without being customized. Additionally, Scout has volume control on his battery box and is not obnoxiously loud even on his highest volume

Scout is very, very soft and even with the battery box in his trunk, the puppy's body is soft and cuddly. My son spends a lot of his play time with Scout hugging him and petting him.

Scout has three main features - Play games, Sing Songs, and Night Songs (the fourth paw is on and off):
- The Play Games paw just chatters with your child. Asking him what his favorite color, animal and food is - Scout and Baby have the same ones after you program them. Scout also makes animal noises, talks about feelings "I feel happy, show me your biggest smile!" and engages your child in direct dialog.
- The songs Scout sings are cute and the choices you make when customizing show up in the songs he sings. Poor technical integration is shown when any of the customized items appear in the songs - Scout sounds like he has a speech problem because the tamper and inflection of the customized objects does not match the song being sung. Also, the only music you can customize in this section is elevator music. I would like to see songs with words, more known children's songs (very surprised not to see "Baby Beluga") or the ability to add your own music to Scout.
- The Night Songs paw is pretty cool. You click it once and it does 2 mins of the "night" music you choose when customizing continuously. Press it again, you get 5; once more and you get 10. Although our guy doesn't have problems sleeping, it might be a nice touch if your little one has some problems sleeping or being alone in the quiet.

All in all, our only real concern is that Scout might be the first toy he has worthy of being "that" toy he can't live without! We have a competitors talking puppy that drives us up the wall ("TUMMY!").

If you are looking for a chatty puppy - Get Scout or Violet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome toy!, October 6, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Violet (Toy)
We got this toy for my one-year-old and she loves it! You can program in your child's name, favorite color, favorite animal, and favorite food. You can also select five songs for it to play and five different lullabyes (for a total of ten personalized songs). My little one's favorite song is the one that spells her name. The toy is just AWESOME!

4.0 out of 5 stars cut and cuddly, October 19, 2009
Mommy411 (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Scout (Baby Product)
I agree with other reviewers, not much to complain about for a customizable toy for under $20.00.

PROS:
1) One of the songs Scout sings is really super cute. It's the one that incorporates your child's favorites. When I sing along with Scout my son giggles, it's so darn adorable.

2) I have a glowworm that plays nighttime music for like 15 seconds, not long enough. Scout plays up to 10 minutes - GREAT FEATURE!

3) Scout is very soft and huggable.

4) When my son recognizes his name I'm sure he'll appreciate it more, but for now, it's just, well, cool to hear his name come from a toy. Gotta love technology.

CONS:
1) You have to choose a favorite animal, color and food during set up. He's six months old - I don't think he has favorites at this point, and if he did, how am I supposed to know what they are?....so I just put in any old thing for now. When I want to change them, I have to plug Scout in and download new options. It should just have all the colors and foods and animals programmed in instead of "What's your favorite?".

2) There is a pretty bad inflection at the end of my son's name (Christian). I have not tried putting other names in there to see what they sound like, but his sounds a little weird.

3) "Let's sing a song about you". Hmm, well, all it does is spell his name with a funky beat behind it. He seems to like it though.

Overall my son seems to like Scout a lot. When he hears his voice he immediately looks for him and smiles when he finds him. The things I don't like about it really don't matter because the toy is not for me, it's for my son and he likes it just fine. For the price, a definite buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Sort of Like My Young Son's I-Pod!, November 18, 2009
David Baltazar (SAN JOSE, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is for; LeapFrog My Pal Scout

I bought Scout for my young son with the interesting fact that it can be customized with my son's name via an internet-accessed computer. I was satisfied that my son's name was included in the very large selection of names available (some with alternate pronunciations) from the software downloaded in the Leap Frog website. Nicknames can also be chosen if you prefer. From the downloaded-software you must also select your child's favorite food, animal & color. Favorite selections that are incorporated later in Scout's conversational dialogue & songs sung.

Scout has three primary functions on each of his three paws and the fourth paw has a power-off function (colored red) although Scout powers off on his own on sleep mode during inactivity. All dialogue is pre-recorded from a young boy's voice & his collar lights up intermittingly.

The fun paw with the balloons is a series of dialogue interaction with your child such as guessing games or simple dialogue like "Hi Darren" (my son's name), "Do you want to play Darren?" or "I love you Darren".

The paw with the green musical notes are daytime, fun songs. If Scout is personalized with your child's name, some of the songs will incorporate your child's name. Some of the songs have lyrics and some are only instrumental. I personally like the songs with lyrics and I wish there were more of them. From the downloaded software you have up to 30 songs to choose from, but you can only add 5 at a time and all of the songs you download are instrumental (no lyrics).

The paw with the blue night-time symbol are collection of night time songs. Like the other musical paw you can download up to 30 songs to choose from, but you can only download 5 at a time. Like the daytime songs, all the night-time songs you download are instrumental (no lyrics). Press the night-time paw once & you get two minutes of music. Press it twice and the music lasts five minutes long. Press it three times and the music lasts ten minutes long. Nice!

Overall, Scout has a very, soft, outer body for the child to carry or hug. If you don't have access to a computer, Scout is still enjoyable with the already programmed phrases & songs already included, but far more potential is reached if you can personalize it with an internet-accessed computer. The included USB cable is very short as many others have complained about, but was long enough for my laptop. I have longer USB cables from other electronic devices I have around the house that will also work with this toy in case I need longer ones.

My only concern is what is going to happen when my young son ever figures out how to open the Velcro-back that conceals the plastic box housing the electronics and where your install the three AA batteries via screws? I'll just worry about that later, but for now it is a real pleasure for him to enjoy! I highly recommend this one, especially for the very, low price!

PRODUCT RECALL FOR EARLIER MODELS!!! Around May & June of 2009 a limited number of Scout toys were sold with printed decals on the paws instead of embroided symbols. The decals were later discovered to be removable and presented a choking hazard to young children, so if you have purchased either Leapfrog's Scout or Violet (the purple version featuring a young girl's voice) with the decals on the paws, please return it to the store you bought it from or it can be exchanged directly with Leap Frog for the corrected, embroided paws. I posted pictures of the paws above.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GIFT IDEA, October 21, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Violet (Toy)
This is the best baby shower gift ever. The toy is personalized for the baby, and provides learning tools and sleepy time music. A great gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Toy For A One Year Old!, November 18, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Violet (Toy)
My daughter got this toy for her first birthday and she hasn't slept without it since! Violet sings her bedtime music and says "x minutes of bedtime music! Snuggle up _name_" It is too cute. In the morning my daughter will play with Violet for around 30 minutes before she wants out of her crib. She is in love with this toy. It's been such a hit in our house that we are getting one for each of my nieces aged 1 year and 2 years old. It was very easy to download my child's name onto Violet. It took less than 20 minutes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Concept, But Not Durable, September 22, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Violet (Toy)
My 1-year-old received this as a gift for her first birthday. She loved playing with it and singing the songs, and the fact that the dog "knows" her name and favorite colors, etc., is such a wonderful feature. Unfortunately, the dog quit working after only about 6 months. We replaced the batteries, but no luck. The dog still looks brand new - we had taken very good care of it, and it was not exposed to water or anything else that might cause damage. The product only has a 3-month warranty, which is pretty poor, I think. This is the second LeapFrog toy that just quit working one day, and the company's response is always the same...too bad. I will really think twice about purchasing any LeapFrog products in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kept Secret!, November 22, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Violet (Toy)
We LOVE Violet. This is one of the best toys our daughter has ever received and nobody seems to know about it!!

As a proud parent of a 2-year old I didn't really think my daughter needed another stuffed animal, even one that could say her name. Violet was a gift just prior to a cross-country flight and I have to say I was wrong. She is amazing!!

Violet is easy to set up and Leap Frog has done a great job with their names database - my daughter's name, Maren, is not one that I'll find on keychains or cups throughout her life but it was a choice when setting Violet up (and also for Tag Junior as that is also a Leap Frog toy). Violet is a welcome addition to our life in the house and in the car. She has two volume settings both of which are pretty indoor-friendly (even airplane friendly) and she is not nearly as annoying as one little red $60 monster who constantly needs help getting up.

My daughter loves pushing Violet's paws to get to the song she wants to hear and I can't wait for her to learn how to spell her name with Violet's help. You can select 5 different songs, your child's favorite animal, food and color.

Purchase Violet or Scout and you won't be sorry - and the price?! This is a lot of customizable, lovable toy for $20.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leapfrog Won't Support This Toy, January 22, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Violet (Toy)
I decided to write this review after weeks of trying to deal with Leapfrog after the toy would NOT Sync. My 3yo daughter was so excited about her Violet and it would have been great had it worked. I continually got Error Code 400 (audio files would not download) every time I tried to sync it. After spending hours trying to sync it and download the software on two different computers, it still would not work. So, I emailed support at Leapfrog only to get a rehashing of what I had already tried. The response time from Leapfrog took at least 3 days or more between emails (between every email I sent). Finally, I decided to call the company only to be put on hold and to be put in touch with an incompetent support person who promised to email me with information to collect log files from my computer. Did I receive this email? No! So, after another two days of waiting, I called the company again and another support person finally sent me the email to collect the log files. I followed his instructions and sure enough the log files proved that the toy DID NOT work! I was supposed to receive a new toy, but then I was told I had to physically deface the product, take a picture of it, and then email the picture to Leapfrog in order to get a replacement. All this after I had already spent HOURS and DAYS trying to get support! I decided it wasn't worth my time to go through another hour defacing and picture sending over a $25 toy. Leapfrog should honor its products and make it right when the toy doesn't work. The hassle I had to go through, and this toy in particular, is just not worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy, but you should know first...., July 11, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog My Pal Violet (Toy)
So as the few reviews with poor stars have stated, The dog doesn't learn your childs name. You pick it from a list of choices on the leapfrog website when you activate your dog. If you're child's name is not on the list, you have the option to use a common nickname, again from their list of choices. However, if you are unhappy with that you can also program the spelling of your child's name and the dog will sing a a song spelling the child's name.

Now with that out of the way, I have to say that my first child's name was not a choice on their website. I still think this is a great toy, he got Scout, Violet's counterpart, for his first birthday and he loves it. He's so attached to the toy, that when we had our daughter we got Violet for her, so she would have her own. Apparently her name is more common and we can program it to say her name, but the tone of the voice is so different than the rest of the speech, that it sounds awkward.

Also you should know, if you're buying online and don't have the option to hear the voices before you buy them like you would in a store...The dog Scout, and Violet have the same voice. One would think since one is a green boy, with a boys name, and one's a purple girl, with eyelashes and a girls name that they could at least change the octave of the voice, to make the girls voice higher, but they sound exactly the same.

Now, don't get me wrong, aside from these things, I think it is a great toy. My son is 20 months old, and dances around singing with Scout. And even though his name is very rare, the toy at least can spell his name which is something I can appreciate as he will never find a magnet or key-chain with his name on it in any tourist town. And my 2 month old daughter enjoys the 10 minutes of lullabies at night, that I picked myself from the online list. I'm sure when she is older, she will love to play with it too.

LeapFrog My Pal Scout