4.0 out of 5 stars Great early learning toy
I purchased these for my twin 3-year-old nieces because they love playing with our original version (the Fridge Phonics) whenever they come to visit.

Pros:
1) Good quality
2) Fun sounds/music
3) Really work well to teach children the letters and the sounds they make
4) Bucket is nice for storing the toy

Cons:
1) I actually...
Published 22 months ago by Erin DeGroot

1.0 out of 5 stars booo leap frog
I was expecting all of these things to magnetize like the old version! I guess they went cheap. Not nearly as cool.
Published 21 months ago by Ashley Wolfe

4.0 out of 5 stars Great early learning toy, March 3, 2013

Pros:
1) Good quality
2) Fun sounds/music
3) Really work well to teach children the letters and the sounds they make
4) Bucket is nice for storing the toy

Cons:
1) I actually prefer the Fridge version. My 5 and 6 year old boys and now my 15 month old baby all have played with it a ton on the fridge in the last few years. I credit it with really helping them learn their letters and sounds. And the batteries have lasted FOREVER. It's nice for them to play with while I'm in the kitchen.

This bucket version is pretty much exactly the same as the old Fridge version that we have, but it doesn't stick to the fridge. Because of that, I can imagine they will probably lose some of the letters. But the music, the way it works, and the quality are otherwise the same as our old version, so that's why I gave it 4 stars. I hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of Fun ... AND Learning!, October 15, 2012
My daughter got a gift card to TRU for her 2nd bday; we used it to purchase this toy! We had previously been fans of THE LETTER FACTORY video and decided it would be a good toy to use in connection to watching the video. First of all I have to say my daughter can spend hours plugin the letters into the slot. Once the letter is plugged it says the sounds of the letter (including the double sounds). I've noticed a huge improvement in letter recognition and pronunciation within the first few days of using it. I absolutely recommend this toy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun learning toy, October 25, 2012
This is very durable toy and I love that it sings the alphabet over and over when you press the main button. Not a fan of having to pick up all the letters all the time but love that there is a box to store it in and that it locks in place.

1.0 out of 5 stars booo leap frog, March 14, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars First day we had it..., November 20, 2012
This was meant to be a Christmas present, but little guy's having a crappy week with RSV and pinkeye (sigh, daycare) so we opened this up to give him a nicer morning.

Short version is he loves it. The age range says 2+, which is probably a little more fitting (little guy is 13 months adjusted and has a hard time getting the letters into the slot without assistance, although he's perfectly able to take them out.) He likes to push the button so the letters will talk, and he LOVES the yellow button that sings the alphabet -- he'll sing along (in nonsense babbles, super-cute) and does that bouncy dancing thing that babies do.

It's already endured some smacking with a mixing spoon and seems to hold up to it just fine. It doesn't "feel" flimsy or anything like that; he's a little young for this toy but the short version is it seems durable, it's cute, it works, and he already enjoys what he can manage to do with it.

And the letters make a pleasing (to him) sound when he bangs them together, which he's already done plenty of. Extra win.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toy for kids! We love it!, November 16, 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Letter Factory Phonics (Toy)
We purchased this for our daughter for her second birthday, last week, and she loves this! She has played with it LOADS over the last week - every day. All of our kids (even as old as 7 yrs) love this, and they have played with this tons each day. Our 2 yr old has used it as it is intended, as well as coming up with creative ways to play with it (i.e. using the top piece as a phone). Our son enjoys using the base to "scoop" the letters up, and they all enjoy the songs and rhymes on it...this was an excellent choice for our daughter and we're glad we discovered it in time! I highly recommend. The only downside is that Tad doesn't sing the alphabet correctly on it...he sings the whole thing until the end, but doesn't do the ending that everyone knows "next time won't you sing with me" part...other than that, it's a great toy and has entertained four kids all week...also, I am now hearing my baby saying the letters and sounds they make, so definitely educational...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good educational product, old version was MUCH better from a quality standpoint, December 27, 2012
Tammie (Huntsville, AL) - See all my reviews
I have 2 children ages 12 and 9...then we started over and have a 1yr old.

I had the original magnetic version for my older two, we loved it! So I ordered this set, I actually thought I might like it better since it came with a "case" instead of having to have a magnetic board for her(stainless appliances are non-magnetic). The quality is NOT the same! These are cheapy plastic letters and while they perform the same functions, they just don't feel the same. I gave my first children's set to a family friend a few years back and now I am wishing that I didn't.

So while I truly appreciate the educational value of this product and use it everyday with my daughter, the old saying holds up...sometimes new and improved is not so improved. We would've preferred to pay an extra $10 and get the "old/non-improved" version for sure!

However, if I was a first time mom or a first time user of the product, I might not be quite so critical, I just know what they used to be...and it wasn't this cheap plastic that I have now.

3.0 out of 5 stars On the fence..., June 20, 2013
It is a cute toy...it works fine...and I like that it says the letters correctly. The one drawback which makes it "ok" is the bucket is top heavy due to the speakerbox top...for little ones trying to get it out, it tips over and there goes all the letters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Letters don't match up!, February 6, 2013
I received this product yesterday and it's a flop!. The letters do not match up to the audio. Sounds crazy, but I have tried everything to get this product to work properly…turn it on and off numerous times, replace the batteries, even thinking it would correct itself overnight, but no. Needless to say, if I gave this product to my son to play with, it would cause more confusion than anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars great learnoing tool, March 27, 2013
my 2 yr old likes putting the letters in and out of the lid this is a messy toy sometimes because first thing he does is dump them out they are kind of small so its hard to keep track once he gets playing with them also I wish they worked with the other leap frog letter toys like the fridge magnet

LeapFrog Letter Factory Phonics