5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!
Published on September 6, 2004 by Beth A. Boal

3.0 out of 5 stars great toy broke after 1month and no help from company
Published on December 7, 2004 by S. Kirsch

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!, September 6, 2004
Beth A. Boal (Belleville, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
I bought this toy for my then-16-month old son who loves to play with magnets on the fridge. This set comes with five animals in two pieces, head and tail, per animal. What I liked about this toy is that it reinforces when a match has been made, BUT if a child isn't developmentally able to do that yet, it makes up a name for the animal the child has "created" by mismatching the tail and head (for example, a "sheep-cow"). I liked that it saw a mismatch as silly rather than wrong... good for very little ones who have low frustration levels. This is a quality toy, with clear sound and easy-to-grasp pieces... I'm a picky person when it comes to toys, and I highly recommend this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, Fun, My Kids Love It!, October 25, 2004
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
My 2-year old received this as a gift for her birthday. She loves it. At first, her favorite part was just pressing the "Farmer Leap" button so that she could dance to the music, but then she realized that it was a "puzzle" and started putting animal pieces in. I thought it would be great because even if she got the wrong animals put together, it would still sing a "silly" song for her. But to my surprise, she only likes to put the animals together the correct way. My 4-year old, however, thinks its funny to put the animals together the incorrect way. They both love it, and the 4-year old enjoys listening to the animal facts - even though she knew most of them already. They also like to carry it around like it's a portable radio, and listen to the music and dance.

For those parents that might be concerned as I was, about the strength of the magnets holding up the weight of this toy on the fridge - don't worry! It really sticks well! I thought it would be falling off constantly, but unless the kids are REALLY yanking/pushing/pulling on it, it stays put. Yet, the handle makes it easy enough for them to remove by themselves if they want to take it elsewhere. Also, it has two levels of volume.

Our family loves this toy!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Great One, September 11, 2004
Richard R. Carlton (Ada, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
This one has just about everything....positive reinforcement, silliness, no mouthing hazard, sticks on the refrigerator (or on a metal clipboard in the car), bright colors for the littles, lots of ways to play, yet inexpensive and likely to last a long time. This is excellence in toy making!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE FOR BUSY COOKING PARENTS!, November 17, 2005
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
I'm a single parent and doing anything in the kitchen is a major obstacle when my 2 year old son wants to unload the cabinets, slam the doors, run around in the living room, bother the dog etc. Since he has recieved this for his birthday I have not had one problem working freely in the kitchen. I mean I was able to make dinner and wash the dishes (which took about 45 minutes) without hearing one peep from him. He was in the same room as me, so I was completely worry free in the kitchen WHICH IS RARE!!! IT'S GREAT! He wants to stay in the kitchen and play with it, so I don't have to worry about him running a muck outside the kitchen area or bothering the dog. I do keep an eye to make sure he's not throwing the pieces in the garbage, but it's better then having to check on him every other second outside of the kitchen area. It has two volumes which he knows how to use. This is a fantastic toy and I hope they come out with more. BUT A WARNING TO PARENTS: The magnets are super strong and cling hard to anything metallic. If your child throws them etc they can end up stuck under the fridge, stove or on the sides. If you think you've lost one just look in those places first. It has happened to me and my friend before.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for a first puzzle!, October 13, 2007
Mama Fox (Rochester, New York) - See all my reviews
I'm really tired of electronic toys due to their annoying loud voices and money wasting batteries; however, we received this as a gift for my daughter when she was about 9 months. (FYI we are still on the same batteries it came with 9 months later and it does come with an on/off switch.) SHe couldn't put the pieces in by herself at that time, but she loved pushing the buttons. Now that she is 18months she can put the pieces in and usually can match the right pieces together. This barn secures well to your fridge via magnets and the puzzle pieces are magnetic too. When you put a puzzle piece on, it will describe the animal, such as "blue sheep." My 3 year old also plays with it occasionally (I think because of the fun music).

I really like this toy for 3 reasons:
1)The shape of the pieces are only a slight challenge to put in.
2)When the child puts 2 different animals together it doesn't tell the child they made a mistake. It will say something like, "A horse-duck...that's silly" and then goes into a song about a horse-duck. When the child does get a match it praised them with a "you made a match song"
3) The music is fun and I don't find it annoying like so many electronic toys.

I'd highly recommend this toy for a child 12 to 20 months, but I think children would play with well beyond that.

3.0 out of 5 stars great toy broke after 1month and no help from company, December 7, 2004
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
My daughter got this for her first birthday in August. It is a great idea as she could play with it while I was working in the kitchen. However, after only a month, three of the five back sides of the animals would no longer activate the music and phrases(now, four months later only one works). I called Leap Frog in October and notated whom I spoke with. I was told that it sounded like a few of the parts were defective and that since this was a new toy, could I call back in about six weeks to see if they had replacement parts for it yet? And I am supposed to explain that to my 14 month old child! I had a defective Fisher Price toy and contacted their customer service department and received a voucher for the purchase of a toy of equal value. As much as my daughter loves this toy, I am very hesitant to buy her any other Leap Frog products because they may just be a waste of my money weeks later. If Leap Frog can't afford to send me a new $16.00 product, they may not be in business for much longer...

5.0 out of 5 stars We LOVE this Toy!, October 4, 2004
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
My son likes to be in the kitchen when I am cooking dinner. We have a very small kitchen so he is often under my feet. I asked for this for his 2nd birthday and he LOVES it. I haven't even made it to the fridge with it because he hasn't stopped playing with it. I think that this is a great toy because even if they make a "wrong" match it still plays the little song it's not like they did anything bad. He also loves to dance to the Farmer Tad music. I bought this toy and so did my mom so we have two but it is so great I am going to give the other to my friend with a two year old instead of taking it back...a real find!

5.0 out of 5 stars great multi level toy, October 17, 2004
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
This toy was a gift for my one year old. He can't quite work it without help yet, but enjoys the tunes and looking at the animals. His three year old brother already had the fridge letter game (fabulous) and now he plays with this one, too. The game has cool facts about each animal after the silly song plays. A++ for education factor.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great toy - I wish it had more pieces, but my child loves it., November 29, 2005
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
As my son has grown he's switched from playing with the animal pieces to playing the farm/country song button. These are songs that should be familiar to anyone. It's nice for him to have some music on demand. But when he was playing with the animal magnets, I found myself thinking it would have been better with 1) more animals and 2) better/more accurate coloring of those animals.

I like that it has positive reinforcement when a match is made and even when one is not (kids love coming up with goofy matches). The volume switch is handy as kids toys are always way too loud.

The magnets are strong and it will provide a lot of fun for your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in gold, October 10, 2004
This review is from: LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set (Toy)
This toy is great. It is inexpensive, educational, fun for my daughter(15 mos. old), and best of all it keeps her occupied so I can get dinner made and the dishes done without her trying to "help"! A must for every kitchen with a kid. Even my 4 year old nephew has fun with it. I am now addicted to Leap Frog toys!

LeapFrog Fridge Farm Magnetic Animal Set