4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a tablet that has what we want!
We've owned the original LeapPad, LeapPad2, and recently the LeapPad2 Power. We've also owned the InnoTab and InnoTab2S. Our favorite has been the LeapPad2. But then in walked the LeapPad Ultra . . .

SO, HOW ARE LEAPPAD2 AND LEAPPAD ULTRA THE SAME?

- Both have a front and back camera. On the LPU it's now placed to the left and off to the side...
Published 12 months ago by Ninjaba

3.0 out of 5 stars Some new features are great, but LeapPad2 is better overall
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:10 Mins
(The video, added Sept. 6, has to do with the LeapPad Ultra's Wi-Fi connectivity. Please wait for that section below to view it.)

This is going to be a really long review! If you're putting forth the money to buy this, you may want to know a lot of details about it, so I tried to think of the things I would want to know if I were...
Published 12 months ago by Sunny Sewing Honeybee

‹ Previous | 112 13 1468 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, poorly written apps, and SLOW, January 17, 2014
We got this because we wanted to have something that our kids could use other than our iPad or phone. We also purchased a package of 10 apps for 60 dollars during their Christmas sale. Their usual price is 10-15 per app and they are not worth it. The apps are poorly constructed and they don't have much replay-ability. the only ones that haven't been disappointing were the videos. We should have gotten a kindle for the same price and 60 dollars of apps would have purchased. Currently it is a very expensive way to watch the leapfrog movies that my kids already have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, January 13, 2014
I purchased 2 ultras, 2 gel skins, 2 holders, and 12 games....that means I spent several hundred dollars on these.

I opened one and right out of the box it didn't work. It had lines across the screen and had to be returned for another one. The other only worked for less than 2 weeks and then lines popped up across the screen. It had to be returned as well. I called leappad but were no help. I now have 2 replacements and don't know how long they will last.

-The ultras are VERY slow. Therefore my children get frustrated very quickly with them.
It's a shame because my kids normally love and enjoy playing games. After 5-10 minutes they are tired of playing with them because the speed is slow
-Wifi is useless, see other people comments on that
-The extra apps aren't really extra apps. They are things young children don't use. For example: why does a 3 yr old need a calculator and calendar? They called that an app....seriously. An app should be a game or something fun
-camera is usually very blurry and most of the time useless...It's only taken a couple descent pictures

I'm VERY disappointed and wish I had just purchased the leappad 2 instead or something else.. I would have saved a ton of money.
Leappad should be charged with false advertising.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your Money, January 11, 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Pink (Toy)
After hearing a few friends talk about the LeapPad that they had purchased for their kids I took the plunge. I must say that it is woefully under powered and highly over priced. The game cartridges are around $25 when your average app is between $0.99-$10 on any other platform.

My daughter has had this shut down on her randomly while doing the most mundane things. I have had to "recondition" it to even be able to turn it on after absolutely no more than shutting it off normally. If you truly want to give your patronage to Amazon please choose the kindle fire. This item is rubbish for the money that you will spend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 11, 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Pink (Toy)
I was really looking forward to giving this to my 7 year old because she loves my iPad so much. I thought this would be a good starter without the hefty price tag. I might as well have bought her the iPad or similar device though. Compared to a full blown tablet the LeapPad programs are VERY expensive. The cheapest programs for the LeapPad are about $5, and their are relatively few of them available. Most of the programs, in fact the vast majority, are $10. Compare that now to the cost of children's educational programs for an iOS device that are between free and 1 or 2 bucks, and the value of this product washes away pretty quick. Its extremely... sometimes painfully slow too. The device comes with about 10 or 12 programs but my 7 year old was board with those after a couple of hours; she spends most of the time now playing with the camera, which has pretty poor resolution. All things aside except for the cost of the programs, the iPad or similar device is a MUCH better value. When you add the comparison of speed, camera and screen resolution, the LeapPad is simply a waste of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as Expected. Go IPad, January 3, 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Pink (Toy)
Bought this for our 2 year old daughter for Christmas over much debate vs an iPad. At $160 it sounded great compared to the $500-$600 for the iPad air so we bought in.

Overall the tablet seemed somewhat rugged out of the packaging but it's rubber looking housing is actually just plastic. Setup took about an hour with all of the required updates and registration. We set our parental controls which was more work to use to access the App Store then we anticipated.

The free game/app included was very "low budget". We expected it "the ultra" to have a few more bells and whistles out of the box. For example, the camera quality is not great nor is the processing power as we experienced delays when using functions as simple as the art studio. Although the sensitivity of the ultra was said to be far better then the leap pad 2 when we read in reviews, it still seemed way too unresponsive to the stylus than we would want.

The biggest disappointment and primary reason we returned this product was the price of games and apps. The cheapest we saw for our daughters age was a discounted bundle pack that cost $40 for 4 apps. Most apps/games were priced at $25 each for the newer ones. You buy a couple of games/apps on the ultra and before you know it you paid more for a kid only tablet than an iPad full of better 99 cent apps. One other disappointment was the newly added wifi that constantly kept disconnecting (was not the wifi itself as all of our other household products worked).

Amazon was great at taking back the returned tablet and issuing our refund extremely fast. We will now purchase an iPad for our daughter which we can all use in our household, will purchase a durable case, a bunch of apps that will still come out cheaper in the end. Our only challenge will be monitoring constantly on the internet with an iPad as content issues may occur when she gets older. As others reviewers have said, I can easily see the leap pad ultra being another toy in the bottom of the toy box.

The Ultra may be a good fit for your household but vs the iPad we feel it is apples to oranges when it comes to educating and ease of use for our daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Product, January 2, 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Pink (Toy)
I bought four of these, one for each of my 4 grandchildren ages two to three. They absolutely loved them and their parents were impressed with the entertainment value and the almost endless educational uses.........

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for children in school, January 1, 2014
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Pink (Toy)
I gave this to my 5 yr old grand daughter and she loved it! She just turned 5 and will require some help, but all in all it was well worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy if you need a paper weight, December 30, 2013
Purchased for my preschool age child for christmas. Wireless connection continually fails even though I have a fiber optic business level wireless network. The few times I was able to get the wireless working, the video selection is very limited and of very poor quality. Connected to my computer and continually get error messages. It is very heavy for a child. The touch screen is poor. The camera is worse than a 10 year old cell phone. It will be going back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy leap the leap pad ultra, December 30, 2013
So disappointed in this leap pad it cost 150.00 it is very slow. Games cost 25.00 I bought my son a game it down loads but won't play. We tried to call teck support but they are only open Monday threw Friday. I will be returning this leap pad ultra and getting a regular tablet for my son and grandson.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this!, December 29, 2013
My sons not very interested in this yet (he's almost 3) but I love it! It's very educational and even I have fun playing with it. I got it because he loves to play with our phones and tablets. I wouldn't recommend getting it for a child under 3 though. A little tough for them to understand and use.

‹ Previous | 112 13 1468 | Next ›