4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a tablet that has what we want!
We've owned the original LeapPad, LeapPad2, and recently the LeapPad2 Power. We've also owned the InnoTab and InnoTab2S. Our favorite has been the LeapPad2. But then in walked the LeapPad Ultra . . .

SO, HOW ARE LEAPPAD2 AND LEAPPAD ULTRA THE SAME?

- Both have a front and back camera. On the LPU it's now placed to the left and off to the side...
Published 11 months ago by Ninjaba

3.0 out of 5 stars Some new features are great, but LeapPad2 is better overall
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:10 Mins
(The video, added Sept. 6, has to do with the LeapPad Ultra's Wi-Fi connectivity. Please wait for that section below to view it.)

This is going to be a really long review! If you're putting forth the money to buy this, you may want to know a lot of details about it, so I tried to think of the things I would want to know if I were...
Published 11 months ago by Sunny Sewing Honeybee

‹ Previous | 115 16 1766 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars New LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra BIG Hit with my sons!, November 29, 2013
Disclosure: I was provided a sample of the LeapPad Ultra through a review program. The opinions expressed are my own.
We own the LeapPad and LeapPad2 so I was really excited to get this new product from LeapFrog and try out with my five and two year old son.

Pros:
Love the built in apps, USB rechargeable and tough/kid-friendly design. The bigger screen was a great and my sons loved the new camera so much so I have to buy another one so boys not fighting for it. You can tell that LeapFrog really thought about the new design and tried to make the best in educational entertainment for your kids. My biggest gripe with previous LeapPads were the amount of batteries we went through since device required a lot of power.My sons love all the LeapFrog apps which are educational and engaging. As a parent I like how I can check on status.

Cons: I wish some of the LeapFrog apps I have already purchased would cross over into the new products. Having to rebuy my sons favorites which every LeapFrog upgrade can get expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow processing speed, November 28, 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Pink (Toy)
The processing speed working from game to game and back to home screen is quite slow- may be better to by a samsung tablet for almost the same price - better app experience for 6 year olds

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, but there are some extra expenses., November 27, 2013
Rebel Brown (Atlanta, Ga USA) - See all my reviews
Got this for my 4yr old nephew. Wanted him to have something that was tough enough to stand up to him and was only his so he wouldn't have to give up the iPad anymore when someone needed to use it. I honestly haven't gotten a chance to even sit down and check out the apps on this thing because he has been playing with it that much. So he seems to love it. One caveat though. There is definitely extra costs to this thing. Since the Leapfrog app store is totally proprietary you are paying serious prices for those apps, when you first activate the device you get a one day only coupon for 30% off, bought a bundle of 10 apps for $50-ish dollars and so far that's keeping the nephew occupied, but I'm sure that at some point he will want more apps and apps cost between $7 and $25. So they are way more expensive than on the app store or Google play store. I suppose you could get the same effect on any tablet if you really configured the parental controls and carefully chose the apps, but you are paying a premium to be 100% assured that everything on here is kid friendly.
So TL;DR

Pros:
1. Easy set up.
2. Completely kid friendly with no additional precautions needed. Not even a chance of downloading anything bad as the web browser runs through a leapfrog branded portal that controls all websites.
3. The tablet itself is actually pretty cheap for what you are getting. A rugged, decently powerful device that is completely navigable by a child. Super easy to learn if they haven't played with a smart phone before.
4. Bought him headphones for it and now he finally has an activity that he loves to do that is actually quiet.

Cons:
1. Not a lot included. There are maybe like 4 apps on it out of the box? One of which you have to download. So expect to drop some extra coin on other stuff.
2. Literally everything except the tablet and a charger is an extra. There is a cartridge slot on the device. Seems like it wouldn't have broken the bank for them to provide at least a demo cart with some short games/stories.
3. The apps are not cheap. Most are in the $15-$20 range.
4. The cartridges are about the same price if not a bit more and from what I can tell, of similar length/complexity to the apps.
5. Evil Space Devil packaging. I'm serious, I laughed when I read this in other reviews, but the box on this thing is ridiculous and operates counterintuitively to all previously known box logic. Their are like 23 pieces of tape on the thing that I cut and they had no effect on speeding the release of the contents of the box. The box is made by space devils.

5.0 out of 5 stars All around awesome Tablet for kids!, November 27, 2013
We got the original LeapPad when it came out and my daughter loved it. So I was excited when LeapFrog sent us the Ultra to try out and review. There are tons of differences between the two models and LeapFrog really outdid itself this time. The two main things I love about the Ultra are the bigger screen and the Wifi capabilities. But there are lots of things that the Ultra has that the LeapPad and LP2 do not have it all!

Some of those things are: Built in MP3 player, 800Mhtz faster processor, 8GB of on-board memory, 480p video recording, 11 apps included ($80 value), built in lithium ion battery, peer-to-peer play, wifi kid-safe web, and the 7 inch touch screen.

Let's start with the Wifi with the Kid-safe web search capabilities. It's called LeapSearch and it's powered by Zui. If you aren't familiar with Zui, it's a website designed for children. A safe way to watch YouTube videos, game online video games. The internet is scary and not made for kids, so Zui makes it safe! Everything that shows up in the LeapSearch is reviewed by parents and teachers to make sure it's safe for the kids to view. I have a very curious kid so when she wants to know what a guinea pig is, she can search it and find pictures to help answer that question!

I love all the apps and games available for the LeapPad systems because every one of them has an educational component to them. Plus, you can download or use the cartridges. We have the Tag and LeapReader also so reading is huge in our house. It's nice when she can do everything from reading, writing and playing right on the Ultra. Makes long road trips a breeze! Peer-to-peer playing makes it fun for siblings too. They can play games like Tic-Tac-Toe together on their own devices!

I'm extremely happy about the lithium ion battery also. I went through batteries in our LeapPad like crazy. Now we can just recharge at night like we do our cell phones.

We normally play on an iPad but I worry about her playing on there and the parental locks are really terrible. I'm constantly looking over her shoulder to make sure she isn't surfing the internet. I'm much happier with her using the Ultra for playing. The parent controls give me peace of mind.

So my final thoughts...spring for the Ultra. The upgrades are totally worth it!

Here are some free LeapFrog explorer codes for you:
The Book of Super Awesome Stuff (e-book): 5813 1140 1518 1413
Alphabet Stew (game): 5813 0790 4610 4973

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a definite winner!, October 10, 2013
This is a great learning tool and our grandson who is now 4 loves it. It does much more than I ever expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY well received by a 7 year old boy, September 25, 2013
RMurray847 (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm 49 and I have my own "adult" tablets...so naturally this Leapfrog tablet was not intended for use by me. I had a 7 year old boy in mind as the recipient / test-driver.

But before he took control, this 49-year-old still had some work to do. I had to get it set up and connected and ready to go. And that process was very easy. Right out of the box, the Leapfrog had enough of a charge so that I could get started immediately. And when you first turn it on, it immediately guides you step-by-step throught the setup process. The setup is simple (perhaps even SIMPLISTIC) and really geared towards someone who has never used a tablet before. It's nearly idiot-proof, which is good. Yes, it's a bit frustrating for someone with a bit more experience...but the last thing you'd want is to buy this and then NOT be able to connect to wi-fi, for example, because set-up was too complicated.

After the brief setup, I handed it over to the 7 year old. Let's just say he took to it very well. This is a kid who has regular access to an ipad...so I was worried he'd get no use out of the Leapfrog. I needn't have worried. He has spent hours and hours with it. Often playing the same games over and over. As an adult, I'd be driven crazy...but we all know kids thrive on repetition. The Leapfrog was VERY popular indeed. And I should note that as of this writing, no additional games have been purchased beyond what comes with the device...and he's still having fun.

It appears to be durable as well. Although he's not particularly careless with it, I wouldn't say it gets TLC either. But it keeps going and going. It also connects to the "internet" but actually only to carefully selected kid-friendly stuff. For example, there's a youtube kinda place that mostly contains silly videos of cats jumping on things or kids saying whacky things. Very "American's Funniest Home Videos" type of stuff. He loves it.

The screen is not hi-def or anything. This is NOT an ipad...it operates a lot like one, but it isn't some limitless capacity/capability type of device. It's a learning and entertainment device...with the emphasis on entertainment, in my opinion.

One area of difficulty we ran into. There was a free game (don't remember title) that we tried to download and it just never worked. Because we weren't trying to buy additional games, I don't know if this was just a peculiarity with this one free game, or if there are consistent problems downloading outside content. So take this criticism for what it's worth.

Overall this is a fine product for young kids. Once a child reaches, I would guess, age 9...this device will NOT be very exciting. I think 5-8 years is probably the sweet spot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't have the dough for an iPad for your 3- or 4-year old? Here's your realistic alternative., September 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Leap Pad Ultra is clearly meant to be a product designed to carve out a niche in the tablet market. While many of us have seen the spoiled youngsters in the supermarket or at the restaurant tapping away on their own iPad, it's unrealistic to think that every kid should own one or that parents need to buy them for their kids. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to stick a $500, high-tech computer into the dirty, careless and irresponsible hands of a toddler. But, that's a whole other topic...

The Leap Pad is made to look like a tablet computer for kids, and that's just what it is. It has a very large touch screen, wi-fi connectivity, downloadable apps, a video recorder/camera, a calculator, and music player. Like previous "Leap" products, this product is designed to be durable in the hands of children. It has a solid feel in your hands and boasts the familiar green-and-white coloration of most of its predecessors. My family has owned three other Leap Frog products, and we have always been happy with them. Like all of the others, this one can work through a battery pretty quickly. (The packaging says it has a 9-hour life, but I would say that 8 is more realistic!) At least this product has its own rechargeable battery so we don't have to purchase that separately. That is a nice upgrade!

Most of the apps that you can purchase for this Leap Pad have at least SOME educational value. Sure, there are some that are purely for entertainment, but I think Leap Frog seems committed to marketing this product on the established foundation that their devices are first and foremost for fun, but educational purposes. One feature I can appreciate about this new LeapPad is that it can run all of the apps we previously purchased for the Leap Pad 2. While these games may now be "old" and have lost some of their appeal, at least we didn't have to start from scratch to build a new game library. No more mini-cartridges to keep track of! Now it's all downloadable apps!

Overall, the Ultra an improvement over the Leap Pad 2, but it is questionable as to whether or not it justifies the significant bump up in price. If you don't already have the Leap Pad 2, I would recommend this one, instead. If you already own the Leap Pad 2, you should be just fine sticking with that device.

5.0 out of 5 stars An improvement over the LeapPad 2, September 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This tablet is more comparable in size to a standard tablet. It is a definite size improvement over the LeapPad 2. I would say that it has almost twice the screen size. I also like that the stylus slides into a hole rather than snapping into a groove like on the LeapPad 2. It's much easier to keep the pen locked in place.

==Pros==
*Wi-fi is probably the most noticeable improvement on this device. It's wonderful to be able to access the app center or the parent area without having to plug the LeapPad into the computer.
*Built-in rechargable battery with included cord(this is a MUST)
*Larger screen size.
*Design seems more ergonomic and easier to grip and hold.
*Web Search and App Store features can be disabled in the Parent Center if you don't want your children to have access to them.
*Compatible with all of the games for the LeapPad 2. I was able to sync the apps we previously had purchased for the Leap Pad2 and use them on the new LeapPad Ultra.
*Kid/User-friendly - my boys were able to easily figure out how to customize the leap pad.
*Durable - We've had this for about a month and in that time it has been dropped, banged on the floor, tossed in the bottom of a bag, and it's still up and running. Durability is pretty important when kids are involved and so far everything is still good!

==Cons==
*The load time is sometimes a little slow. Plan on it taking a good while to load the apps onto the device.
*My son loves the web search feature (it's essentially just pre-selected you tube videos). Most of them are OK, but I'm not crazy about all of the cover songs, etc. Not totally sure I want my four-year-old singing "Suit and Tie." Maybe I'm a prude, but that's my preference.
*There have been a few glitches every now and then getting something to load, but it's usually a very minor detail that works itself out if I turn it off and on again.
*Apps/games can be a little pricey, but we've just learned to wait until things are on sale (they run fairly regular app sales)

There are a few features we probably won't make use of. The "Pet Chat" only lets you use pre-selected phrases (which is just fine), BUT it only works if you are chatting with another person on a LeapPad Ultra in the same room as you. I appreciate that my child can't talk to strangers on the Internet, but we don't know anyone else with an Ultra, and if we have a friend over, I'd probably rather them play with each other rather than sit on a couch touching pre-selected phrases. Again, that's just my personal preference.

From an educational perspective, I love that the games and apps help to teach my kids important skills (but there are plenty of games "just for fun." We've loaded a couple hours worth of videos like "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" and "Super Why" which makes the LeapPad Ultra fantastic for road trips.

My son loves the built in camera. He takes picture with it constantly. As a mom, I love that he can have fun and learn something at the same time (and it's a sanity saver on long road trips). My biggest challenge now is keeping my boys from fighting over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger Screen/Tablet, Wifi, Rechargeable, Works With Most Explorer Games, September 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are already familiar with the LeapPad2 Learning Tablet, this one is bigger (screen is 7" instead of 5", which also makes the tablet a bit larger as well), this one has wifi connectivity vs. the older cable connection, the cameras (front and back) are both 2 MP which gives kids a more clear picture to play with. It also has 8GB of internal memory which is 2x the amount of the LeapPad2, and it has a faster processor.

The huge plus in my book is the included rechargeable batteries. Kids can play cordless when the batteries are charged, or plug it in and play when the batteries are low.

It also now has kid-safe web browsing which parents can customize, and if you have more than one child and they both have an Ultra, they can play some games together and use the chat feature.

We are loving the new Ultra, and are still finding new things to like about it.

One "Must-Have" in our house is the protective gel cover - lets be honest, kids do occasionally drop things or set them down to hard. While LeapFrog has done a great job of taking these things into consideration, they have provided the protective skins to purchase, and we make a point to get them.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Granddaughter loved it!, September 22, 2013
Mrs. Susan Stanskas (Fredericksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Pink (Toy)
This was a gift for my granddaughter's 7th birthday. She loves it and has, with a little help from her father, learned to use all of the wonderful features. She even navigates the web and picks out the apps she wants to purchase. It does everything the ads said it would and she is happy, so her Grandma is happy, too.

‹ Previous | 115 16 1766 | Next ›